Time Share offer sounds too good to be true

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Time Share offer sounds too good to be true #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I got a post card in the mail today from The Villages at Lone Oak, here in TX. They are offering me and a friend a seven night cruise with my choice of port with meals included. They will also include a $200 gift check and a $60 fuel certificate.

They say all we have to do is attend a 90 minute presentation of their property with no purchase necessary.

I know two couples who have done similar seminars and gone on cruises for it. Both said it was just as advertised. I also went to a presentation in Cabo San Lucas a few years ago and recieved all sorts of freebies for my time. It was well worth it for what they gave me in return.

There's NO way I'm gonna buy into a time share. It's just not in the cards or even a remote possibility.

Anybody ever go to one of these presentations? Is there a hidden catch that I need to know about? It sounds too good to be true, which is always a big red flag for me, but then again, I do like the idea of a free cruise.

They have a website at www.resortstravelvacations.com and this one is in Lone Oak, Texas. They have quite a few listings on their map.

Eddie

/ Time Share offer sounds too good to be true #2  
One thing to beware of on these is that the taxes on the "gifts" might be more than you could buy the "gift" for on the open market.

A Cruise value will be given to the tax man, won't it? I doubt many people pay list for cruises. In fact if you look around, you can probably pay maybe 50% of list and go where and when you want to, or spend you money on what you actually want to do.

Could be wrong, but I think you pay anyway.

Cliff

/ Time Share offer sounds too good to be true #3  
My wiife and I got a free week in Williamsburg Va. for sitting thru a 90 minute session a few years ago. We did not buy because we already own a double unit since the late 80's. Take the freebie if you can stand the high pressure sales pitch. As for tax on it? That's a good question.

/ Time Share offer sounds too good to be true #4  
There is no 'free lunch', IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Time Share offer sounds too good to be true #5  
Yep.
I've been to Vegas twice and took a cruise to mexico out of L.A. on that type of scenario. All three times there were no fees. I didn't pay any tax on the trips. I never asked my accountant though. They will pressure you to buy, but at the end of the presentation when they want you to go to another room or meeting area, just politely decline and recite back to them that it is their agreement that you would spend 90 minutes and that is all that they will get out of you. They will try all kinds of guilt tactics, but for me they were saying those things as I was exiting out the door with my tickets. I say enjoy the bonus, they are making it up with all the suckers out there that can't stand firm.

/ Time Share offer sounds too good to be true #6  
Spouse and I attended a time share presentation while visiting Hawaii early in January of this year. While we knew we would never purchase it, we wanted to know exactly what was involved.

During the two hour presentation, the figures boiled down to paying about $6000 per year for ten years with the maintenance fee inclusive, and at the end of the ten years we would own the timeshare, and only have to pay the monthly maintenance fee (about $90) in the future. Depending on our choice of location, we would have 2-3 weeks of vacation time per year.

Now, we have been on several cruises, and for the $6000 per year we would be paying for the timeshare it makes more sense to me to take a cruise and have your meals and housekeeping, etc. included. The sales rep for the timeshare company made a big deal about how large the places we could stay at were. in comparison to the ship staterooms or hotel rooms...now, when you go on a vacation, are you going to stay in your room all the time?

What I thought was the high point of our presentation...when we declined for the umpteenth time, we were asked to sign a waiver that said we understood we would NEVER be offered the same great deal in the future. Then we were asked to give our opinion to a customer service rep, who asked how close we came to signing up... and of course he was quite willing to give us a better deal than we had just signed a waiver for...it was so close to the experience I had endured while buying my last used car I started laughing.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

/ Time Share offer sounds too good to be true #7  
We've done many weekend getaways at the expense of time shares. I love them because I like the back-and-forth of the salesguy trying to get us to buy and me finding more and more creative ways of saying no. My wife, on the other hand, hates the confrontation. So, she suffers through it and we've gotten some really nice weekends at the beach. We've never gotten a cruise though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

There are a couple of things to remember:
1. You are obligated to spend the 90 minutes so they can do their speil. Sometimes you can get out of it by convincing the guy early on that you are not a prospect and his time would be better spent on another mark, but usually you have to go through the whole deal.
2. You are ONLY obligated to spend the 90 minutes and no more. Keep time. When 90 minutes is over, gently inform him that your obligation has been fulfilled, you are not convinced its a good deal and would liek to leave.
3. Make sure that when you leave, you have any vouchers, gift certificates and other things in proper order (signed by whoever needs to sign them). One time we missed this and had to pay for the room ourselves /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
4. Have fun at their expense!

They will try to make you feel like you're ripping them off by using them for a free trip. I jsut tell them that they had no obligation to make me the offer, but since they chose to, they can happily pay for the weekend /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Frank

/ Time Share offer sounds too good to be true #8  
I've often wondered why I've never gotten an offer like that. I don't know what I'd do if I did but it'd be nice to at least be asked.

I've gotten my share of free trips to Las Vegas so I'm not complaining at all. I just can't help but wonder what group there is of which I'm not a part that gets these offers.

/ Time Share offer sounds too good to be true #9  
They are usually pretty good.

My wife and I came from fairly humble beginnings. A honeymoon was a luxury. We actually took advantage of one of those for our honeymoon. 2 days/3 nights in Daytona Beach, then 4 days/5 nights in Orlando with reduced rate theme park admissions, then a day cruise to freeport bahamas leaving from Miami, stay in Freeport for 2 days/3 nights, then a day cruise return trip to Miami. We got the WHOLE DEAL for $250. Not per person... $250 total, and we had to sit through 2 90 minute time share sales pitches. We had a great time.

I also have an EXTREME aversion to salespeople. It is no trouble at all for me to sit there and grin and laugh at them the whole time they are doing their pitch. I usually eat them out of house and home while I am there with their free coffee and donuts and stuff.

/ Time Share offer sounds too good to be true #10  
Many years ago when we were young and broke (now old and broke?!) we attended dinners, cocktail hours, luncheons and more and became very good at saying "no" to what has to be some of the highest pressure sales that exist. At the time, we lived in Hawaii, and any time could go to Waikiki and within an hour have a dozen offers to choose from. The sidewalks there were half tourists, and half people trying to get you to take their offer of a free ??? for just listening to a sales pitch.

Years later, when we bought an RV, we were then inundated with offers of free camping stays, free BBQs, all kinds of stuff free... just for listening to their offer. We went to many, and still have some of the free stuff in use.

There have been "conditions" in the small print a few times. Sometimes there's a minimum limit for your income. I've seen other exclusions that could disqualify one from the 'prize' for listening to the spiel. Read the fine print and make sure you "qualify" before you pack.

You have to be prepared to say "no".... over and over again. And then say it to the manager and/or supervisor. As long as you can do that, then take the trip!! Enjoy it!

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.