Any one own a Rodenator or Rodex gopher killer ?

/ Any one own a Rodenator or Rodex gopher killer ? #1  

willywildes

Silver Member
Tractor
3130 GST/ CAT D-2
Just returned from the World Ag Expo. looked at a few systems to rid the world of a few gophers, and squirrels. The systems offered were Anhydrous Ammonia, poison bait or propane & oxygen and a spark. What do you think

/ Any one own a Rodenator or Rodex gopher killer ? #2  
I use rat traps for my gophers. I mean the kind with a large yellow paddle for the trip mechanism and no bait required, rather than the kind with the little tin tab where you put cheese. If I place a trap outside their holes, it gets them every time. I probably got 30 of them last summer.

I doubt it would work for squirrels.

/ Any one own a Rodenator or Rodex gopher killer ? #3  
Badgers work well.

Ploughing the land will remove the gophers.

A young boy with adequate .22 ammunition supply can dessimate a gopher population.

Egon

/ Any one own a Rodenator or Rodex gopher killer ? #4  
That sure was a huge show this year ... hadn't been for a few years. I've seen the gopher stuff at the show and bought one of the probes that dispenses bait but didn't work all that well for me in my bullet proof clay soil. I've had pretty good luck with the common stick-type smoke bombs. They're like a buck a piece so I cut them in half for each use. I like the idea of the rat trap! I may give it a try. I might suggest one thing not to do in the summer here in CA, as was tried by my ex-sister-in-law: she poured white gas down one hole, stepped back and threw a match in ... yes sir, set the gopher right on fire BUT, he ran out another hole and his flaming body dang near set the whole mountain ablaze. As for squirrels, I cannot in good conscience poison or trap them cuz drilling them with a .22 is more fun than a human should be allowed to have. If you have nearby neighbors that call the sheriff upon hearing gunfire, use CB's or subsonics. CCI CB shorts barely make more noise than a CO2 pellet rifle.

/ Any one own a Rodenator or Rodex gopher killer ? #5  
I usually use a pound of FFFF black powder, two feet of cannon fuse, and my 120 lb anvil. I pour the blackpowder down the hole, insert the fuze, bury the powder and end of the fuze, place the anvil over the hole, then light the fuze. I did this about four years ago. I have my first mole/gopher this year since then.

The only drawback is a large hole usually remains after the gopher leaves. Sometimes you have to be careful about the anvil coming out of the sky. It don't always happen, but sometimes it does. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Any one own a Rodenator or Rodex gopher killer ? #6  
I want one of those Rodenator's but they are a little too expensive $1800 for my personal needs.

I wish I had gophers so I could make better use of my .22 but I've got a serious mole problem. A neighbor of mine used his shotgun but then he was retired and had the time to sit outside and wait for ground movement.

I've thought of making my own from an Oxy/Acytlene torch kit and a piezo start Propane torch from Harbour Freight. Yet another project to think about doing.

The Rodenator web site has some funny videos.

/ Any one own a Rodenator or Rodex gopher killer ?
Thanks to all who replied. After consideration and research i have decided to build one myself. I can build one for less than half the price, using the exact same components. Got the stainless tubing for free today the aluminum for the box donated already have the propane tank. need a torch setup anyway. A flash preventer and a oxygen tank and use stun-gun parts to make an igniter. Vola' !!

P.S The world ag-Expo was unbelievable . that they can bring all that equipment from around the world for a four day show says to me there were a lot of people with a lot of money around. I kept my hands in my pockets.

/ Any one own a Rodenator or Rodex gopher killer ? #9  
You have to post pictures if you make one. That's the rule around here!

; )

Check out the Propane torch kits at Harbor Freight. They have a piezo electric start set up at the tip that would be easy to extend a little further. They were only $29.

I'm curious to know what the mix of propane to Oxygen is recommended. I'd rather not be the guinea pig if I can get someone else to do it!

; p

Good Luck and keep us posted. Death to ground dwelling rodents!

/ Any one own a Rodenator or Rodex gopher killer ? #10  
They say a 97% oxygen, 3% propane mixture on the Q&A page.