plastic vs. metal

/ plastic vs. metal #1  

farmerpsv

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TN65
hey all,
am putting in a road and have some culverts, 4, and person putting it in is recommending double wall plastic pipe instead of galvanized. this is a first for me. i've always used the metal galvanized pipe for culverts, any of you ever used the double wall reinforced plastic? he's saying $120 per 20' length, does that sound right?
thanks

/ plastic vs. metal #2  
I never heard of it, but I'd go to the manufacturer's website and look up the allowable loading and see how it compares to steel culvert. The only thing about plastic is that it fractures rather than bends. So if you drive directly on it with a car or truck wheel, it might break rather than just bend.

/ plastic vs. metal #3  
Double wall plastic pipe is all they are using in my area for culverts. It will last forever without fear of rusting out in 20 years unlike steel counterparts.

/ plastic vs. metal
thanks Mike,
i recall seeing some on a truck, looked pretty substantial, think i'll go for it.

/ plastic vs. metal #5  
The double wall plastic is stronger then steel corrugated pipe, lasts forever especially in soils either alkaline or acidic soils and is reasonably flexible. A 20' length will vary substantially in cost based on the diameter. A double wall length 20' long by 24" in diameter is about $300. Metal is still used is generally cheaper but for anything permanent, I'd use dual wall plastic. I put in 2 20' lengths last 24" in diameter. It replaced a completely disintegrated corrugated steel pipe. Remember, a great deal of any pipes strength comes with enough earth coverage. Be sure to use good material to fill around the pipe whereever traffic will drive across it. I used pea gravel.

/ plastic vs. metal #6  
When I did my drive I put in 2 18" X 20' sectionals couple together with a plastic coupler. It has now been in the ground for almost 6 years w/o any problems. We've had several heavy loads brought in over it w/o any problems. Our 32'x72' double wide mobile home was brought in acrossed it. The propane truck comes regularly. We also had an excavator in a couple of years ago, he brought his semi's across with his track hoe and dozer across it. Those loads were probably the heaviest that have gone across it. Not a sign of any problems, when you look through it, it looks just like the day we put it in, no signs of dents or bangs indicating a partial collapse.

/ plastic vs. metal #7  
I just had my driveway put in and they placed 2 plastic culverts, then put about a foot of rock over them. The large and I am sure very heavy track hoe/excavator has driven over the culverts numerous times. I will soon be having concrete trucks driving over the road and have no fears of breakage.

Plastic is all that I have seen used around here for some time.

steve