Planting some trees Which type

/ Planting some trees Which type #1  

goodoleboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Still looking since thats half the fun!
What kind of experience have anyone had with Loblolly ,Austrian,Scotch and White pine trees. WE want to use them as a cover to hide our property from the road? I want something fast to medium growing.

I want an evergreen so I can have year round coverage.
The whites seem thicker and wider simialr to the austiran but some say the whites live longer

Do any of them block Noise?
If you had a good experience with a evergreen let me know.

/ Planting some trees Which type #2  
Norway Spruce might be an idea for you to look at. They grow fast and make a good screen for what you are wanting. You will need to treat them with deer repellant to keep the young trees from being eaten by the Oklahoma wild life.

/ Planting some trees Which type #3  
We live in Northern Indiana in zone 5(mostly). Around 1990 we had about 1000 white pines planted. Most were seedlings, but the outside two rows were two year olds used as a windbreak. Today, all of them are around 30 feet tall with trunks that are 10-12 inches at the base and about 8 inches three feet up. We were lucky in that we had perfect growing conditions the year they were planted; cool, damp weather in sandy soil. We've only had about 10 or 20 of them die in the first 5 years and none since then. For some reason, the deer left them alone(could be the corn and beans were tastier). Our two hundred fir trees planted in the muck soil never took off and were eventually overtaken by other species or rubbed into toothpicks by the big bucks, but they were not eaten, either. I think there are less than a dozen of those that made it to maturity.

You should talk to your local county extension agent or state forester to see what species will do best in your location. Soil types are imortant, too, and can vary wildly in a short distance. Our 20 acres has three main soil types. One of those has 4 different levels of errodability. Different types of trees were planted on the different soil types. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Planting some trees Which type #4  
I agree with MossRoad, have your soil tested and get local advice. Our farm bureau does soil testing, and the extension office will make recommendations. We have done well with White, Austrian and Scotch, althought there is a bug of some kind that affects the Austrian around here and we have to spray them twice a year to keep that in check. The horses love white pine, they dance around on their rear legs trying to reach as high as they can to eat. Don't know if all evergreens are that tasty. We also planted a fence line with Thuja Green Giant evergreens which grow about 2 feet a year if you water them enough. They are shaped more like an arbor vitae and will create a fence screen really fast.

/ Planting some trees Which type #5  
Check with your local county Ag office. Or, see if you have a local University Master Gardener office. My wife is in the local Master Gardener program. Here, it is an extension of the University of California. Most states have this program.

Both programs will have people who can help answer your questions; that is the primary purpose of the Master Gardener program as a matter as a fact...

Oklahoma Master Gardener Program

/ Planting some trees Which type #6  
Loblolly is not a thick needled tree. You can see thru them. They are fast growing which is why so many are planted for pulp. See if one of the spruces, firs or maybe even cedar will grow in your area.

/ Planting some trees Which type #7  
I had the same idea and planted a double row of white pines. The first winter the deer stripped them of needles completely. The next winter, I tried putting fences around each one but the deer knocked those down and ate the trees anyway. I'm planning to try some other types of evergreens that are supposedly more "deer resistant"--some types of spruces with tougher needles are supposed to do better.

/ Planting some trees Which type #8  
See my note above. The Ag extension office or Master Gardener office in your area should be able to assist you with fence and other detterent options.

/ Planting some trees Which type #9  
I agree with others the white pines would be the better of the ones mentioned for fast growing and good thick noise barrier, maybe followed up with a few rows of cedar (arbovite) I planted 2000 white pines and the deer have ate a good bunch of them but they seem to be growing back fast enough and once they get bigger they stop eating on em. anyhow the soil will make a big differance though and it is a good idea to have it tested.

Matk M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Planting some trees Which type
thanks for the responses!
I have to wait about a month till the new trees arrive at the nurserys here in oklahoma. So i have about a month to decide what to get. Really it depends on what the nursery orders.