What's up with this dog...

/ What's up with this dog... #1  

TCBoomer

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC24DA
What\'s up with this dog...

...and how can I stop it??

Over the years, I've had everything from horses and cows to pigs and chickens roam through my property. Since I am surrounded by farms, this can be expected sometimes and I can deal with that. The problem I have now is a new dog has shown up and seems to be marking it's territory. Probably competing with my German Shepard. What has me puzzled is why is this new dog leaving it's 'calling card'...both liquid and solid...right at my front door, on the porch?

My GS is trained to do her business in a specific area, away from the house. Most likely this new dog is just picking up my dogs scent near the house and trying to compete for the territory. But now it's a daily routine...usually late night or early AM...with this dog leaving it's business on the front sidewalk, in the driveway, in the garden, etc. This AM I find a frozen yellow stain on my garage door!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I'm quickly losing my patience and hopefully someone here can offer some advice to stop this. I believe this dog belongs to one of the owners of a few new houses built last year, about a mile up the road. I don't want to harm this dog, but this nonsense HAS TO STOP!!!

I recently read a post from jinman about using hot pepper to get rid of mice. Anything I can use to prevent this dog from returning??

Thanks for any advice

/ What's up with this dog... #2  
Re: What\'s up with this dog...

Well TC, 1st off, it's about time that someone write a "How to" article to city folks moving to the country! It should have a detachable chapter on How to take care of U'r city dogs in the country! OK Ok right about now, your thinking, "Why don't I write this booklet?" Ok the reason is I'm retired and am much to busy, doing nothing to dedicate myself to a book! We'll have to find a full time worker to do that! You know someone that works a 40 hr a wk job and stays busy! Anyway back to your problem! If you could I.D. the dog(maybe live trap it and then let it go the 1st time! Then take his calling cards back to the owners house and place at front door and leave a note saying that Fido lost this in YOUR yard! Now if this don't work after a couple of times just remember "They never found Jimmy Hoffa either!"

/ What's up with this dog... #3  

Maybe you could try a bit of rock salt /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ What's up with this dog... #4  

One of those cool new paintball guns would work well and be a little quieter.

Get another dog. A big male. That will keep the competitor out of your yard. None of the other male dogs in the neighborhood come into my yard. Of course, my dog lets all the females roam freely around the yard after the obligartory sniffing of their privates.

/ What's up with this dog... #5  

Seriously though........my lab decided to visit my neighbors farm 3/4 mile down the road. The first time he did they called me and I went and got him. I told my neighbors that if it happened again to scare the daylights out of him and make him very unwelcome. So on the next visit my neighbor picked up a 2X4 and chased him half way home. He never left the yard during the next 12 years of his life.

Regards Dave

/ What's up with this dog...

I already tried the scare tactic once. The mutt took off like a bolt of lightening. I've never seen a dog run so fast...kinda made me laugh!!

Years ago, I planted a 100 Arborvite trees and a pack of dogs...about 6-8...would always fertilize them. I installed an electric fence all the way around them. It worked for awhile. Then I discovered M80's work even better. I would toss one in the vicinity of them and <font color="red"> KABOOM
<font color="black">they were gone. I'm thinking of the same tactic again, but a M80 at 3:00AM makes one heck of a noise, especially with the echo in the valley out front.

Now the paint ball deal is interesting...and I just might get one. I do have a pellet gun, but it would probably injure the mutt. Do paint ball guns cause serious injury? or just a mild sting? I've never used one.

/ What's up with this dog... #7  

I've tried this approach with my neighbor's dog, who also has a penchant for leaving his droppings at the foot of my porch, the entrance walk of my business, the middle of my drive, wherever it's most noticeable. Nothing like trying to clean up loose dog crap filled with corn off a gravel drive /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. All chasing and yelling at him did was make him more wary. What I was really going for was his owners hearing me and maybe something clicking in their heads to start keeping him on their own property.

I wish I had thought of the paintball gun idea. That's a great solution. It might make the neighbor think it could be a real gun next time.

Unfortunately, some people think that because they live in the country they can let their dogs roam off their own property. In my neighborhood it's a couple of the locals, not the transplants, who are known for this.
Maybe the 4 or 5 coyote that moved into my area will have people keeping a closer eye on their pets.... They've already scared the deer off /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If you find something that works, please post it. I know politely asking didn't work for me. I even offered to install hidden fencing for him.

/ What's up with this dog... #8  

A cheapo pellet gun that can be pumped up shouldn't injure the dog and will provide better accuracy than a paint ball gun. Avoid the head and face to prevent eye injury. A few well placed "stings" and the dog should avoid your yard.

/ What's up with this dog... #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I do have a pellet gun, but it would probably injure the mutt. Do paint ball guns cause serious injury? or just a mild sting? )</font>

I have used the paintball gun with great success. My neighbors dogs were drinking out of and getting in our outdoor goldfisk pond. When I brought the paintball gun home my wife asked me why I didn't just use a BB gun. Well the paintball marks on the dog tell the dogs owner that the dog has been somewhere they shouldn't.

/ What's up with this dog...

If I knew for certain whose dog it was, their mailbox would already be packed "SOLID" with it's calling card...pun intended /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I may have to try and follow this dog home sometime and find out who owns it. But that could end up being a several mile hike. I've seen this dogs tracks in the snow and followed them. This mutt does get around!!

Trust me, the Jimmy Hoffa idea has crossed my mind. But I don't want to injure this thing.

The book for the city folks is right on the money. But would they even read it? That does give me an idea though...I'll write up something and leave it in a few mailboxes. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif