where to put fence post-Right on Property line

/ where to put fence post-Right on Property line #1  

goodoleboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Still looking since thats half the fun!
Do fence post of a livestock fence go right on the property line or inside on your property line? Im thinking right in the middle is good but im not really sure I guess ill have to get the neighbor to agree beofre i dig on their side of the line.

What do you all do?

/ where to put fence post-Right on Property line #2  
I hear people doing it both ways and some that put the fence several feet into their property so they can maintain both sides of the fence and still be on their property. I think I would go 6” in on my side so there is never any issue about who’s fence it is.

MarkV

/ where to put fence post-Right on Property line #3  
Around here it's usually assumed that the fence line is the property line.

/ where to put fence post-Right on Property line #4  
I've done both (two different fenced in areas) and much prefer moving the fence line in so I can safely maneuver a mower on the outside of the fence. This allows me to maintain the fence line without having to be on someone elses property.

/ where to put fence post-Right on Property line #5  
Check Oklahoma law before putting the fence up. In some states it is ok to place it inside you property, in other states if you put the fence not on the line the boundary will move to the location of the fence in 7 years. That is if the next door owner files for it.

/ where to put fence post-Right on Property line #6  
In Texas it is called adverse possesion. I do believe that if someone was mowing reularly and kept a diary of that fact plus removed anything that the neighbor may have done on that piece of his property, his ownership would be asserted. But, KEEP A RECORD.

Vernon

/ where to put fence post-Right on Property line #7  
For adverse possession, it has to be adverse. If you give permission to mow or do anything to the person doing it on your property, then it isn't adverse. Adverse possession is hard to prove in most instances. Usually before someone gains adverse possession now days, the person that is violating the others property rights is usually arrested for trespassing. Once convicted of trespassing, the adversity of use is stopped. It is a fine line......... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ where to put fence post-Right on Property line #8  
In a lot of agricultural states the fence goes on the line. Used to be (don't know now) that both property owners were responsible for the cost of building and maintaining their half, the half to their right when they are looking at it IIRC. For small residential it is usual to have the fence a few inches on your side of the line. Of course you shouldn't build a fence without checking with the neighbor first.

Harry K

/ where to put fence post-Right on Property line #9  
<font color="red"> Fallout with neighbor = Trespassing. </font>

I leave at least 2 feet on the other side of the fence for reasons stated above. Maintenance is always an issue with a fence. Gerard

/ where to put fence post-Right on Property line #10  
As others have said, local customs differ. Around here any fence you build must be on your side of the property line. Heck, even the auger hold can not break the property line. Local laws and customs, as you have seen, vary.