I hoped too soon -- spring delayed!

/ I hoped too soon -- spring delayed! #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
After reading on TBN how some of you are beginning to plant your gardens and mow, typical springtime activities, I looked outside and realized it was sunny and warm (okay, 33F which is normal for Vermont this time of year), and dared think I was ready for spring.

Today, five degrees with 40 knot winds out of the NW. The snow is blowing horizontally and the forecast says another Nor-easter might be heading our way.

I'm cursed!

Pete in Brrrmont

/ I hoped too soon -- spring delayed! #2  
Pete
If you are Cursed. Please start facing East, North, or South when you make your wishes for better weather. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Someone is sending the cold and other nasty stuff our way. Last 2 mornings woke up to low single digit temps. Maybe you should be facing West so that your wishes come here first. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I hoped too soon -- spring delayed! #3  
I just checked my calender that has been adjusted for the misnomer, "Global Warming".... it said that spring is scheduled to arrive on June 21st.... Summer September 21st.....Fall September 23rd..... Winter October 21st.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I hoped too soon -- spring delayed! #4  
Pete,

Move to PA.
We have 4 seasons here.
Wet
Construction
Cold
Dang cold

We've had the same weather here. Sunday and Monday were in the 50's. Yesterday and today, single digit lows with high winds.

Brian

/ I hoped too soon -- spring delayed! #5  
Don't know about you guys but seems like I lose about 1 more week off of my winter/cold weather 'tolerance' window each year. Years ago winter didn't used to bother me all that much, this year I ran out of winter capacity about three weeks ago! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am more than ready for it to warm up, and we didn't really have all that bad of a winter here!

/ I hoped too soon -- spring delayed! #6  
But do you have water yet?

/ I hoped too soon -- spring delayed! #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pete,

Move to PA.
We have 4 seasons here.
Wet
Construction
Cold
Dang cold

)</font>

We have two out here in So Cal
Desert Season
River Season
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Up near 80 degrees at my house /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ I hoped too soon -- spring delayed!
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But do you have water yet? )</font>

Well, yes and no. We had a plumber come over and run his little hot water snake up the intake pipe. He hit ice till the limit of his deicer...so the pipe is still frozen.

Plan B, however, is working just fine. I made two trips to work and filled up my 300 gallon sap container, draining it into the basement cistern. Looks like the cistern holds 500 gallons, and in the past three days we've gone down about a third. If the wind dies down tomorrow I'll fetch another load of water, but it looks like in a pinch, with only modest conservation measures (letting the shower run into buckets for the livestock till it comes out warm instead of letting it run down the drain, five minute showers instead of the long sort, wash all the dishes before rinsing en masse, etc) a full tank will last us at least five days.

The strangest thing about all this is both Tamara and myself are enormously pleased to find there's yet another thing we can be self-sufficient at! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pete

/ I hoped too soon -- spring delayed!
Brian -- It sounds like different areas have different seasons! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif In Vermont, we have:

Foliage season
Stick season
Winter (4 months of snow and cold, 1 month of wicked cold)
Mud season
Bug season
Spring (when we start preparing for the next winter)
Summer (about three weeks long)

Pete

/ I hoped too soon -- spring delayed! #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Summer (about three weeks long)

Pete )</font>

Pete,

Summer??? I've heard of that and thought I recall it from years ago. Haven't had one here in awhile unless it's another word for "3 more months of April showers". /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brian