Morton Buildings Worth It??

/ Morton Buildings Worth It??
Hi Bill,

I am - Any thoughts/feedback??

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #13  
sounds more resonable especialy if fill is coming in.

You gotta go with a 10 foot high door if you have 12 foot wall.

sounds nice.

When I built mine 5years ago, they were offering a 48x75x12 shell and sliding doors for $26,500. Things have changed, huh?

/ Morton Buildings Worth It??
Steel prices have went up and even the salesman stated the cost has increased about 20% over the past few years..

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #15  
Come on WE can handle it, tell us.

I'll tell you about mine, they were OK but nothing like what Morton bragged about.

During construction the area still looked like your typical jobsite, stuff laying around after they left for the day. played the radio loud during deer season etc.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #16  
I wasn't trying to hide anything, I grew up 17 miles from the Holton location and know some to the guys that work there. I know if I were to be building my shed today, I would go with rollup doors instead of the sliders that I have. Mine have been iced shut many times and they are a pain to lock. My quanset hut has 8,000 bolts in it and you have to touch each one of them several times before the shed is complete. I need to recaulk several of my ridges as there are several leaks. It's a nice building but I wouldn't go through the hassle of building one myself again. It took me 6 weeks of every spare second I could muster. I also wish it were larger, you wouldn't believe how much junk I can accumulate.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #17  
Definitely put in at least one 10' tall door especially if you plan on putting a tractor of any size in there. I have a 30'x40' building that I put a 10'x10' door in each end. I can drive the tractor or truck in either end or in one end and out the other. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I priced Morton. They wanted about $26K for the building I wanted. I put up a Mueller steel building myself for about $15K.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #18  
Heres my story about Morton:
10 years ago I was set on putting up a 2 story 25 x 52 ft. building. Seen a few morton buildings around here and they looked pretty good.
Got their info sent to me and found out they will design any type of single story or two story building.
Sales guy came over from Jersey to meet with us and all he wanted to talk about was his own garage and how he built it.. Finnally got our plans in his hands and he says the engineers at Morton would take 2-3 weeks to draw the building up to give a quote.
Those couple weeks turned into over four months, never ever seen a plan, never seen a quote, nothing.
Every time I called it was the same old story that the engineers were still working on it!
After five months I hired a local builder to do the building.
Morton lost a $45K sale!
They may make a good building but they really lack in the people dept.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #19  
Willman,

I had a very similar experience with Morton, probably mostly due to the local sales rep. I contacted him last spring about a 42x60 building. The one I liked has been in quite a few of the mailings they have sent me. He said he had a couple of quotes in before mine to finish and I should hear from him in a day or two. I continued to get Morton mailings, but no quote or phone call. Approx four months later at the Empire Farm Days I was wandering around in one of Morton's buildings. When the salesman asked me if he could help me, I said I did not know and told him what had happened. This salesman told me my local rep was at the show in one of the other buildings. He went and got him and the rep apologized big time and blamed it on being "swamped". He took all my information and said he would give me a call. That was last August. This rep was very pleased with me when he put up my neighbors "huge" Morton gymnasium and offices/classrooms that is just off my property line. I did not mind them being on and off my land and the equipment, noise, etc. I am only about 10 minutes from the local Morton office. The crews would not have to travel far. I have a very good friend that is still waiting to hear back from Morton also. My father compared a few different builders and went with a 42x80 by Stockade. I also have another friend that has a 42x60 from Morton. Morton has a nice product and a very good warranty. They had to pull the whole roof off my neighbors due to the coating coming off the steel. I think when you figure out the price per square foot, Morton is quite expensive and as mentioned above their product is not that much superior. They also do some things that make it more difficult to finish the interior yourself. They have the trusses 7.5 ft on center and they do not flush frame the walls. This makes it much harder to insulate with standard insulation bats and to sheet the walls. Stockade does flush frame and also uses the laminated posts. My friend is in the process of framing his out right now to insulate and sheet. I think if you look for a quality builder in your area, you can get a better product for less. I personally will never give Morton another look.

Good luck,
Russ

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #20  
" I am only about 10 minutes from the local Morton office. " <font color="blue"> </font>

Sorry to hear you got treated that way also, especially right around the corner from them!
I do belive the sales guy I had wanted to only sell single story barns and did not want to be botherd with a two story building.
I was still steamed about the way I got treated and a couple years ago I was at the PA farm show and happened to walk past Mortons booth.
I just had to stop in and ask if Mr. Salesman was still working out of Jersey. The answer was yes and then my steam whistle went off!
I let the Morton people there know how discusted I was with the way they ran a business and how they lost that sale.

" I personally will never give Morton another look."
<font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font>

I totally agree!