Morton Buildings Worth It??

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sorry, I wasn't very clear and appreciate all the feedback.

The quote includes
30x45 building with 12' walls
Adding a 50' drain pipe (culver) and grading about 50 ft around the building
Some tree removal at the site
Two skylights
An 8 x 16 ft overhead door on the 30' end
Two windows and one door
Insulated Roof with open Cupola
20x30 concrete pad outside the door
Concrete inside (4" with mesh wiring)
Electrical Panel (service ready)
One drain to daylight
One water hookup (faucet)

I guess looking at all this, we sure are adding a few extra's to it.

Having said that, the building itself was around 25k

Thanks for all the input!!)</font>

I think that is a real decent price if all that is included. Gerard

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #22  
I've had them do two and they did a great job on both. On the last one, I saved several thousand $ by having someone else do the 36' x 53' x 5" concrete though.

John

/ Morton Buildings Worth It??
Thanks for all the responses. Good suggestion on the concrete as you could easily sub that out to another person.

The local Morton salesman here has been very professional and engaging. He has been in the area for over 25 years and even offered suggestion on improvement in our property (non Morton related)

He even came on a Saturday morning, after he had been up late to go to the B12 tourney here in KC. Very prompt showing up and took us to two buildings. One was 12 years old and the other was being built. Both looked good and the jobsite on the new one was clean. Hence, not just showing us the pics. He also has told us about what has gone wrong with the buidlings in the past..Overall, we have been impressed.

We just went through a horrible building process with this new home - The builder was not professional, would not call us back, and still has not finished his work 6 months after the fact. We just don't want to repeat this experience ever again, so we started with the known company.

Thanks again for the varying opinions. Always tough when you are spending your hard earned money!!

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #24  
I just had a 36x48x12 board and batten barn built last year.

With 2 12x12 stalls, finished 12x12 tack room, 24x36 + tack room 4" concrete. cupola, insulated roof, 1 door, 1 window, two 10' sliders, and a 24x6 roof added outside the stalls run us 35K. We ended up using a company called Conestoga from New Holland, PA. We had quoted Pioneer as well, but while they were a little cheaper they were using a little less quality materials (non-laminated posts, non-stress tested lumber)

I contracted out the site prep, electrical, and water.

Overall, Conestoga did a great job. I wish our new house went up as trouble free as the barn did. I did talk to the Morton people, and knew someone who had used them and was very satisfied. But they just weren't price competitive. (and I needed to keep costs down to have $ left for electric and water.)

I finished staining the barn before winter, and had a good chance to really look everything over. The only "problem" I found was about six nails missing in the board and batten.

They left the extra lumber, which is good to have in case I need to replace any in the future.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #25  
My experience with the Morton company is similar to Jpierce's... so I guess the lesson is that we're all dealing with individual operations, some good, some not so good. I spent enough of my time in framing, wiring, drywalling and painting my building that I wouldn't want to have tackled anything beyond that. FWIW- the grey epoxy finish I put on my new slab has been absolutely great- makes cleaning up easy, and worth the bit `o hassle prepping.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #26  
We had Morton put up a small horse barn last year. We knew they were a "premium" builder going in, so we had high expectations for a quality product. I have to say they absolutely delivered the goods. Built a beautiful structure, on-time, on-budget, top-notch crew. They are now under contract for a workshop, and I have every expectation they will do just as well this time.

Nobody's perfect, and you can run into someone who is a horse's patoot in just about any organization, but these guys did a great job for us.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #27  
MORTON !! ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Never Again. LOL ok well maybe not that bad in the end. For me they were fast but NOT good. Very difficult to deal with on fixing their problems which meant legal fees for us in the end. It did get resolved but not without a lot of tooth pullin. Good building. You bet. Could I have had better quality built for a better price ? Excepting the warranty Positively YES by about 10k. You can see the whole thread if you search under projects. Lets just say I'm glad I'm done dealing with Morton and my building is satisfactory in the end. Don't buy into all the rubbish about how they are the best because they roll their own steel etc. They have the same quality control and labor issues as every other company at a much higher price to you. I would not reccomend Morton after my experience.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #28  
While there are certainly some who had a bad experience with Morton, it only seemed fair to point out they did a great job for us.

We have all seen messed up projects from other builders, and I'm pretty sure Morton isn't the only construction outfit that has a few scoundrels and idiots on the payroll.

Sorry to hear of your experience. I figure anyone who knowingly pays a premium price has every right to expect their money's worth.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #29  
I agree completely. I do think Morton is still a decent company but they build at a premium price. If they can't offer a superior product such as they claim then their just another barn builder and that's where I'd rate them. Nice product but don't believe all the hype about them being " The best in the business". If your thinking about using Morton you might want to find out just how many times they have been sued in regard to problem buildings. My favorite claim from Morton was all of the hype about how they were going to sell me insurance on my barn. For us this was a big deal because our building is not at our primary residence. I received brochures from corporate offering quotes etc. When I called Morton about the insurance I was laughed at. Literally. They had not sold insurance in years. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #30  
I got a price on a 55x105 ft with 14ft eves 2 large doors and some extras like coupalas on roof, etc.. from Morton last Oct 2004 $78,000 with no concrete floor, electrical, plumbing..etc.. wood interior gives a warm feeling compared to steel, quality seemed ok at Moultrie, Ga expo building.. figured by the time I did concrete, electrical, etc I would have $100,000 in building.. still looking for a quality building for my Georgia location... I wanted to go big as I wanted to build some rooms inside for guests, etc... or myself when I get sent to dog house..