Morton Buildings Worth It??

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #1  

jpierce

Bronze Member
We are looking at a 30' x 45' steeling building with concrete. Our site will need some grading and tree removal. We also will be pouring a concrete pad for the little ones.

The quote we got is approx ~35k

Just thought I would ask opinions on Morton. We see about 100 in our area everyday, so they must be decent.

Would an alternative of Lester Buildings, Wick, or Cleary be better??

Thanks for the input

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #2  
Oh my Gawd! You've asked the wrong question. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, we have one member who had a real problem with them, I'm sure you'll hear from him shortly. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But most people have had good luck with them. I personally think they make a good product and I occasionally do a metal building myself.

If I was going to do a turnkey barn and I wanted it out of wood I'd go with Morton. If I was going to do it out of steel frame I'd shop around and go with the guy who builds the best and not bother with the guys who do it the cheapest.

I get to see a lot of bargain barns here in North Tejas. There's a reason they're so cheap. And it ain't good.

My rule of thumb is the best contractor is the one that is a craftsman who will be working on the job and takes it personal.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #3  
They're good but not worth it.My neighbor had one built by a guy who put his own kit together for 35k It was 50x100 wood with no concrete floor 16ft ceiling.16ft rool up door on the side .12ft sliders on the ends.10ft slider on the other side.A 12ftx100ft shed roof on one side

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #5  
Like the man said, there have been earlier posts and threads about the pros and cons of Morton buildings. I am completely happy with mine, and if a tornado took it out, I'd call them again. They did what they said they'd do, when they said they would, and I have yet to see a better overall pole building- from the laminated treated posts to the Kynar finished roof deck.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #6  
My son-in-law had a horse barn built by Morton. Looks very nice BUT., He told them he wanted to store hay in the loft. When he started to put the hay in the loft started to fall in. They had to come and put more braceing in. They had only put single 2/10s to hold up the floor joists. Then they have a very bad moisture problem because of the way the roof is construted as the air doesn't flow with the roof line. also the eave vents are made with very small slots and they tend to fill with dust and don't let the air flow and Morton says the only way they can solve the moisture problem is to run the HUGE cupole fans (two 3hr motors all the time). Big elect. bills. The upstairs is totaly insulated from the downstairs and the moisture problem is molding all the hay so they can't use it. They are very upset with Morton as you can see. Morton don't seem to want to talk with them
leaddog

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #7  
Morton is very popular in NE Kansas and they are a good building. I think Astro and Butler are about the same thing but not as pricey. I built a 40 X 60 US Steel quanset hut (never again) on concrete and I believe I have around $25K in it. My neighbor has a shed built by Barn Builders out of Arkansas, it's 30 X 50 and was under $6k erected. Not close in the quality but much less expensive. I think that Morton is normally 10-15K higher than other buildings.

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #8  
The building itself is worth it, To have them being the middlemen for grading and concrete is not according to your quote. Even with mat'l cost increases that building w/o crete shouldn't be more than 20k assuming all steel siding/roof and no insulation

What other features are in the quote?

/ Morton Buildings Worth It??
Sorry, I wasn't very clear and appreciate all the feedback.

The quote includes
30x45 building with 12' walls
Adding a 50' drain pipe (culver) and grading about 50 ft around the building
Some tree removal at the site
Two skylights
An 8 x 16 ft overhead door on the 30' end
Two windows and one door
Insulated Roof with open Cupola
20x30 concrete pad outside the door
Concrete inside (4" with mesh wiring)
Electrical Panel (service ready)
One drain to daylight
One water hookup (faucet)

I guess looking at all this, we sure are adding a few extra's to it.

Having said that, the building itself was around 25k

Thanks for all the input!!

/ Morton Buildings Worth It?? #10  
Are you dealing with the crew from Holton, Kansas?