NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS

/ NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS #1  

WALT

Gold Member
Tractor
KUBOTA BX2200, L-39 TLB & RTV X1100C
TBN'ERS

I though I would share with you my latest brainstorm, solving a problem that all of us have faced in the past. I fiqured, that besides my co-workers, you folks might appreciate this.

The Problem:
My wife made 2 king size pans of lasagna around X-Mas time, for a holiday party. Due to bad weather, few people made the trip, and 1 pan was leftover. This pan has been in the freezer, calling my name for three months. Last night, I asked my wife when she was going to cook that lasagna. She stated because it was so large, she was going to bring it to her work. If I wanted to keep it from her ungrateful co-workers I had to think fast.
How does one divide up a frozen lasagna, in a 14" x 20" pan, 3" 's thick?

The Solution:

After some wasted time with a butchers knife, then the electric carving knife, I arrived at the perfect solution.
I went down to the basement for the cutting tool that has no limits: the 10 amp. Super Sawzall.
I washed a new 9" blade and the shoe of the sawzall.
I had my wife hold the lasagna on edge, and proceded to cut the lasagna into three equal pieces, small enough for three family meals. We ate one, and re-wrapped the other two for future consumption. I'll caution you that the "food" dust can get flung far, so shield the cut with paper towels.
Take care to clean the sawzall after use.

Conclusion:

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. May all your frozen food problems have a happy ending. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

WALT

/ NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS #2  
Sawlzall huh ? Now what would have made that perfect is using a cordless salzall. Cordless skill saw would have worked well too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS #3  
In our house, we use the microwave for the next week. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS #4  
Walt,

I really think you should have put your foot down and said the whole thing was yours. Lasagna can be re-heated a couple times over and still taste good.

murph

/ NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS #5  
Walt I'm surprised since you blew it big time. If I were faced with that same problem it would give me a perfect excuse for a trip to Harbor Freight to purchase a band saw. I would use it first on the lasagna and from that point forward on the many TBN projects that pop up from time to time.

As you said "Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Walt I'm surprised since you blew it big time. If I were faced with that same problem it would give me a perfect excuse for a trip to Harbor Freight to purchase a band saw. )</font>

I think a plasma cutter would have worked fine.

Cliff

P.S. If you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
P. P. S. Every tool is a hammer (except a chisel, which is a screwdriver)

/ NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS #7  
Back in the days when I thought I could eat anything I wanted, I used to buy those 5 lb. rolls of ground chuck when they went on sale. When I got home, I'd package it up on 3/4# to 1# freezer bags. One day, I got lazy and threw the whole roll in the freezer. Then, each time I needed some for a casserole or whatever, I'd slice a little off with the sawzall. Worked great. The freezer was in the garage with the tools, so the saw never had to make it into the house. I never repackaged the stuff after that.

I wish I could say that I washed the blade and shoe before cutting, but since my Grampaw one told me that we all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die, I figured what was on the blade would help. I don't think it was sawdust that caused my heart problems, more likely too much of the red meat.

/ NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS
Glad to see that I was not alone in my thinking.
As for the bandsaw, I already have a 14" Delta. Besides the job of cleaning it up, I'd probably get hungry every time I used it in the future...... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WALT

/ NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS #9  
I appreciate the sawsall idea as it does take too long to clean the bandsaw /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ NEW USES FOR COMMON TOOLS #10  
My wife makes them in that size glass pan and there is no way that I could have cut it without breaking the glass. We cook the whole pan and then freeze diner sized portions to reheat in the future. Either way, as long as you were able to keep it away from the vultures, it is a success. Don't forget to put the Sawzall in the kitchen cabinet for future use. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif