Auctions

/ Auctions #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I hear about auctions all the time. But have never found one to go to. What is the best source of auctions that might include welders, 3-point tillers, etc?

A local John Deere dealer had an "auction" one saturday, however it was dishonest in my opinion because I won a bid on a new tiller and they wouldn't sell it for that price. Thats pretty sleezy in my opinion......

The only auctions I attend from here on out are those where you know everything will be sold to the highest bidder.

/ Auctions #2  
AlanL, I'm not much on auctions. I know some people who have gotten good buys, but you have to be careful. I see people pay more for used stuff than new. They just get caught up and will not be outbid. Always know what something is worth, and don't bid any more. You will kick yourself if you do. Also, look the equipment over well. If you buy it, it's yours. This being said, there are some good bargains out there.

/ Auctions #3  
There are a lot of different type of auctions out there, the one at the dealer must have been a reserve type auction, if they do not get their reserve price, it does not sell.

Bought my place in the country at a auction sale. When looking at the property a couple days before the sale, I asked the auctioneer what he thought it would go for, well the price that I paid was the bottom of the range that he had given me. Either he was going to buy it at that price or I was bidding against a phamtom bidder. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Auctions #4  
Read the want ads in your paper every day, they usually have an "auction" classification. Look up auctioneers in the yellow pages and let them know that you want to receive their flyers. Don't just check the local phone book and paper, check them for a hundred miles around if you can. Don't forget to check out estate sales, listed in the Houston Chronicle as such. I don't know what they list them under in your paper but they will be in there somewhere. You can get some serious steals at the sales as long as you are good at dickering. Most of them around here start on Thursday. Thursday's pricing can be a little steep, it goes down on Friday and Saturday. I've looked at stuff that I didn't want to spend much money on and left my number and told them to call me Sunday if it didn't sell and then had them call me and tell me to come and haul it off, gratis!

/ Auctions #5  
Brinkley has them once a month in Idabell(southeast), OK. Pretty big auction with everything from CUTs to 300hp field tractors, and a large variety of implements. They have a website if you do a google.

/ Auctions #6  
I've done very well at auctions.

But, and this butt is of Rosanne Barr proportions, buyer be aware!

Know exactly what you want and understand what it's value is and what it can cost to fix whatever might be wrong with it.

A good place to start for a newbie to auctions is once a month just north of Bells. Come early, bring cash, and hope you can find a place to park.

/ Auctions #8  
It's between Ambrose and Bells. I think it's the third Saturday of the month.

/ Auctions #9  
Alan do a search for Bob Mitchell auctions. I'm on their mailing list. They specialize in farms and equipment. Over breakfast this morning I noticed they're having a farm auction north Denton next weekend.

/ Auctions #10  
Alan,

I've been to about a dozen auctions in the last two years and haven't bought anything yet. What i'm looking for has always been in such bad shape that I'm not interested. But I'm still keeping my eyes open and will continue to go to them for no other reason then it's fun looking at what they have available.

My source is the American Classifieds. It's a free paper that comes out every thursday morning and is at just about every gas station.

www.americanclassifieds.com

I also do a search on their website every Thursday morning for certain things I'm looking for. I found a 40 foot by 24 inch culvert for $300 once and my five foot disk was also $300.

For the auctions, i've noticed you need to look at the paper because the ads for the auctions don't always show up on the website.

Another source is city and county websites. They have auctions periodically and will list them, or at least mine does. I've also see other cities and counties throughout Texas with auctions and read through there list of items that will be available.

Good Luck,
Eddie