Shovel or gun?

/ Shovel or gun? #21  
"I would look like some kind of snake killing Steve McQueen from Have Gun Will Travel. No that isn't right, that was Richard Boone as Palladin...Whatever the name of that show was that's what I would look like."

As I remember, Steve McQueen did have a cool sawed off rifle he carried around in "Wanted Dead or Alive". He was the ultimate cool guy, I think.

Steve

/ Shovel or gun? #22  
There is a handy little 410 shotgun called a Snake Charmer. I can't recall who makes it though. It was short, but legal, not a sawed off. There is a variation of the same gun that is rifled and shoots .45 Colts like the single action revolvers. It has a screw in choke and will also shoot a 410 shot shell. The run about $125 to $175 used.

/ Shovel or gun? #23  
12 gauge, 20 gauge, .357 with shot, .380, hoe, big stick and I've even used a can of wasp and hornet spray on one occasion. Hey, laugh if you want , it worked.

/ Shovel or gun? #24  
Count me among those that use a SnakeCharmer. I've had it for decades and so far this year I've killed two small rattlers that were near the house.

It used to be mounted in our Kenworth in the sleeper partition above the curtain. It was easily reachable from either seat. It makes a big bang, and also looks very menacing from the barrel end. Fortunately never had to use it in that situation but it added peace of mind, like when stuck in traffic in NYC (where another of our drivers was robbed while stuck in traffic).

Now it is retired from over-the-road as are we.

Phil

/ Shovel or gun?
I appreciate all the response. I may try to look into the bird/snake/rat shot some more. But last summer I got my son a youth model Rossi single shot .410. I just might have to start making sure that it stays close by when runnin' around the woods. It sounds similar to that Snake Charmer. I may look for one of those also.

Bryan

/ Shovel or gun? #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I appreciate all the response. I may try to look into the bird/snake/rat shot some more. But last summer I got my son a youth model Rossi single shot .410. I just might have to start making sure that it stays close by when runnin' around the woods. It sounds similar to that Snake Charmer. I may look for one of those also.

Bryan
)</font>

Hereya go:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2685495&cat=170176&type=1&dept=4125&path=0%3A4125%3A4155%3A170080%3A170176

/ Shovel or gun? #27  
If you'd rather tame them than charm them look here .

/ Shovel or gun? #28  
This month's Handloader magazine has a good article on shot cartridges. They usually won't cycle a semi-auto. Revolver use only. The article also went into patterns and which size shot was most effective. Also what was available on the market and how to make your own if so inclined.

I've used the CCI 38/357 shotshells (1/4 oz of #9 shot) from Walmart on water rats. I leave the snakes alone to hold the mice population down. I'll go out of my way to catch a black or king snake to release on the farm.

/ Shovel or gun? #29  
The Tamer is the one I have. Not fancy, but shoots fine and has storage for 4-5 extra shells in the stock.

My BIL bought it for me. Even have a scabbard that I can fasten to the ROPS.

/ Shovel or gun? #30  
The shot shells might not work in some of the semi-auto's like a glock or 1911. I've used it in my Sig 226 and it cycles fine. Then again, I've put 5, 000 - 6,000 rounds of handloads through my 226 and I've never had a jam.

I believe they make them in .40 cal.