Shovel or gun?

/ Shovel or gun? #1  

NCDeere

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4510
Hey, I saw the Mr Snake meet Mr Shovel post. That, along with the fact that I killed my first copperhead of the season got me to thinking. Do any of you carry a snake killing weapon while out in the woods? If so what is it? I killed the copperhead with a bush axe because that is all I had with me. But it was kind of in a spot where I wished I had my son's single shot .410 or perhaps my .22 pistol.

So, what do you kill your snakes with?

Thanks,

Bryan

/ Shovel or gun? #2  
I have a 9mm with rat shot. You can get rat shot for calibers such as .22, 9mm, .44 mag etc.

/ Shovel or gun? #3  
Ruger Single Six .22 33 grain high velcoity hollowpoint to the head.

/ Shovel or gun? #4  
.38 with bird shot. started carrying when working outside after slinging one by my foot with a weedeater.

/ Shovel or gun? #5  
38 or 357 with birdshot is a good very close range choice. May take several shots to dispatch it, but a decent hit even other than the head should get you a second to get out of striking range. Better but more bulky is a short 410....someone used to make an inexpensive one called "Snakecharmer" for just such use, also doubled nicely as a backpack/survival weapon.
My only serious encounter as an adult was with a timber rattler, and all I had was a Ruger Sport model semiauto 22 pistol. 9 shots. Used every one of them, ended up with three body hits. Had to reload and finsh the job once it was moving much more slowly. I would have paid dearly for a 357 with birdshot that afternoon. All that saved me from a bite was a stupid but brave spaniel who was beside me. Yes, he escaped too. He had much more speed than intelligence.

My only objection to a bullet is the accuracy required under the circumstances....I really think the birdshot is a better option for most of us.

/ Shovel or gun? #6  
I was once with a guy in a western forest that just used a light weight whip from a near-by bush.
He whipped that snake (4 ½ ft rattler) up and down it, and it squirmed the whole time. After a bit it was limp as a wet dish rag. He said every stroke of the whip broke vertebrae in the back, making the snake imobile. And that was sure true. That snake couldn't move. A good snake then.

So, you can pick your weapon on the spot, if you'd like.

/ Shovel or gun? #7  
Ruger Blackhawk Single Action with .38/.357 shot cartridge. That is also my home defense gun. It is .357 Magnum caliber with the first two rounds of shot then regular soft point. I figure that unless they are hyped up, the shot will be effective in stopping them. If two don't do it I need to get serious.

Vernon

/ Shovel or gun? #8  
I kill only poison snakes. I kill them with whatever is handy, a rock, 2X4, etc. The best tool I have found for killing snakes is a sharp long handled hoe. Don't have to worry about where the glancing shots go, or shooting a hole in my tractor tire, shooting inside my basement, etc...
Ben

/ Shovel or gun?
I like the bird or rat shot idea. Where can I get some of that, at any gun store? What calibers does it come in? I have a Taurus .40 that would love some of that action. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Shovel or gun? #10  
The most recent thing I used to kill a copperhead with was about a 30" section of 2" rigid steel pipe. The only thing handy at the time. Worked real well for me.

BTW, they still make the "snake charmer" , a shortened .410. Less than $140 at Wallyworld. I think I need one.

BTW, I've heard that the rat shot rounds tend to work best in revolvers, since they tend to jam in autos. Any truth to that?

Steve