A good neighbor-Opions Please

/ A good neighbor-Opions Please #1  

Electric_City

Long story made short.

It's spring cleaning time in upstate NY,The neighbor across the street has all three kids picking up all dog "poop" with small garden shovels,from everything that went on over the winter.

The adults are busy pointing and talking about what to plant and where on their front lawn.

In the meantime both of their dogs are taking a crap on our lawn.

I walk outside and they are screaming at their dogs to "GET OVER HERE" they both respond and they all go inside.

My question is;Both parents watched their dogs crap all over our lawn and were so concentrated about cleaning up "THEIR LAWN" but never bothered with our lawn.

My kid plays with theirs so I really do not want to say anything BUT WHAT A DOUBLE STANDARD.

/ A good neighbor-Opions Please #2  
I wouldn't be too harsh for the first offense. Some might say scoop it up a throw it back in their yard, but I would reserve that for down the road. They could have been looking in the area and not paid attention or saw it and forgot about it. Now if it happens again, then I would politely ask them to remove the waste. I imagine many feuds are started over some little misunderstandings. I am not suggesting you be a pushover at all. I just would not get worked up over it yet. If the dogs pooped there once, they will probably find there way back. Just keep an eye out.

/ A good neighbor-Opions Please #3  
I had a dog and so did my neighbor. They both did their business wherever they wanted to. I just looked at it as part of getting along.

For the kids sake (which you know will suffer in the event of any issues) you might want to try to turn the other cheek unless it becomes the norm rather than the exception that they start doing their business in your yard.

My dad and the neighbor went to war growing up. Us kids suffered from it because we didn't get to run free like we wanted to. I'm sure it wasn't my dads objective but it just happens that way regardless.

/ A good neighbor-Opions Please #4  
First impressions being what they are, tend to stay with you. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BUT..... How many first impressions in your life have prooved to be totally wrong? If your answer is ONE... You aught to give some serious consideration to svaing judgement for a later date. After all, you will have to live next to these folks, no matter what actions you decide upon. If your original "gut feeling" prooves to be correct, there's plenty of time to act upon them. However, if it prooves to be wrong, and you touch off a "border war", you have a long, miserable battle on your hands. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

IF the events repeat themselves, try a friendly, but firm and suggestive talk with your new neighbors. Let them know of your displeasure with their dogs "dumping" in your yard. See if that has any effect. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If not, THEN GO TO WAR... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ A good neighbor-Opions Please #5  
I didn't see you mention if you had a dog, so it seems this is going to be a one way street.
I would add, I would make sure that both of them are outside in their yard when you scoop up, provided you haven't already. I would then walk your shovel across the street and say something like, "I don't have a dog and don't really want poop in my garbage, could I put this in your garbage, it came from your two?"
Might seem immature, but so is not taking responsibility for something that they saw.
Next time you are all outside you might even say something like, "Hey, next time your kids are done scooping your yard send them over here to check for deposits".

My one neighbor seems to have really limited his dog's wanderings because I haven't had to clean up from him all winter. When I mentioned Chester's deposits to him last fall, I also offered to help him install an invisible fence if he got one.
You want to let them know it bothers you and then offer a solution.

/ A good neighbor-Opions Please #6  
Freds' approaches seem reasonable.
Address the issue early, but in a non-confrontational manner.
Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

I HAD a very nasty problem with a neighbor. Without getting details it involved a land dispute, and after years of playing nice I finally went to war. While I prevailed, I didn't win. War is a lose-lose proposition.

Good luck and check the bottoms of your shoes.

/ A good neighbor-Opions Please #7  
I agree.. look at it as free fertilizer and go on.

I live in a very rural area (by choice) and yards are looked at as yards. They are kept neat but "natural". I and my neighbors don't care if there are other vegetation mixed in with the greenery other than grass (clover, weeds). We just keep them clipped short. We definitely don't care if animals answer the call on the yard whether its dogs or deer or whatever.

I sure won't fertilize just so I have to mow it more than once a week and would let it grow wildly if someone ever thought I was doing something just to impress the neighbors (vanity).

/ A good neighbor-Opions Please #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I agree.. look at it as free fertilizer and go on.

I live in a very rural area (by choice) and yards are looked at as yards. They are kept neat but "natural". I and my neighbors don't care if there are other vegetation mixed in with the greenery other than grass (clover, weeds). We just keep them clipped short. We definitely don't care if animals answer the call on the yard whether its dogs or deer or whatever.

I sure won't fertilize just so I have to mow it more than once a week and would let it grow wildly if someone ever thought I was doing something just to impress the neighbors (vanity). )</font>

Excellent. That is my situation and my (and neighbors) attitude. One thing none of us tolerate is roaming pets (except for cats, you can't control them).

Harry K

/ A good neighbor-Opions Please #9  
(except for cats, you can't control them).
//
Yes you can. 2x4 welded mesh fence mounted on insulators and electrified. (with a safe fence charger of course) They WILL stay inside the fence /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben

/ A good neighbor-Opions Please #10  
I wish that I had your problem. We are the new kids on the block (26 acres). Along our rural road there are about 10 houses in a 1/2 mile stretch.
My neighbor's dogs:
1)Knock over my trash
2)Bark and growl at us on our property.
3)Make messes in general here and there.

I am a dog lover and that is why I haven't shot the 2 dogs. I have informed the neighbor that he needs to keep his dogs fenced. (the 2nd time they got into the trash, he came and picked up the mess). My father in law says to sprinkle pepper in the garbage. I prefer nightvision scope on a 35 Whelan.
Trying to be nice, running out of patience...Kyle