How do I find survey stakes?

/ How do I find survey stakes? #21  
Get a copy of your survey from the courthouse. Call some local surveyors and get a price for locating your corner pins. I just did this on my property in arkansas about 5 months ago. He charged me $50 an hour to locate around 20 points on my 16 acres. Me and one of the surveyors flunkys actually did it, and it only took us an hour and a half. If you wanna know EXACTLY where they are for fencing, easements etc, hire a professional to locate them. BTW, ours were easily found rebars with orange plastic caps with his initials. A couple were underground an inch or so and dificult to locate even with the metal detector. Dont guess that what you found is a boundary marker or stake! Our property was flagged all over the place for various reasons, most of which were not actual corners or boundaries.

/ How do I find survey stakes? #22  
"Walking" is good ... digging might be better. I think you may have found some evidence of the general area of where your corner monuments might possibly be ... how'd the paperwork search go that several folks suggested ... what does your deed say; is there supposed to be a map of your property ...

/ How do I find survey stakes? #23  
PS... We found about 4 pins on our property, that when you looked on the survey map, they were marked, but are actually several feet (some up to 30 on ours) from the boundary lines. They had a name for these "offsets" pins that I can't recall right now, but basically, they are sometimes placed to clear an obstacle, road, tree, ditch whatever, but are plotted on the survey as offset, and used to measure from to place the boundary line. If I had just looked and assumed these were boundary stakes, I would have placed my property line about 30 feet into my land at these points, not knowing how they had been plotted on the survey. Just some points for you to consider. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck!

/ How do I find survey stakes? #24  
I was lying awake thinking about this last night... There is no reason to assume there are any corner posts, stakes, corners, to be found. Maybe noone ever staked it out. I wouldn't waste too much time looking unless you have some reason to believe they are there like a neighbor telling you about it or a copy of a survey describing what and where they are placed.

This is pretty important stuff. You could gain or loose land. But more importantly, you could put money into a fenceline or cut down trees that may not be on your property.

Have your corners set and the survey recorded by a Professional Land Surveyor. The next best thing is to have the PLS set the corners with wood stakes and not record the survey. This is loads cheaper and then you can go in and drive a 1" iron pipe in place of the wood hub.

I am in a similar position now where I know about where the boundary is and I am clearing a road near the edge of it. I won't cut big trees or put in fence posts until a surveyor tells me what's mine.

/ How do I find survey stakes? #25  
<font color="blue"> This is loads cheaper and then you can go in and drive a 1" iron pipe in place of the wood hub.
</font>

Yes, you can do that, but it usually is not a big help for the next crew that may have to survey the lot. The "field crew" may end up locating those as legitimate pins when, in fact, they aren't. Yea, they'll be close but the crew will end up having to go back out and recheck their lines. In today's litigation happy society, the more accurate you and your paperwork are, the better it looks in the court room /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ How do I find survey stakes? #26  
If your me they are easy to find, Just put a new set of blades on your mower and drive around the property line. I always seem to find them . /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ How do I find survey stakes? #27  
This is a pic of the county highway department Right of Way easement marker along the front of our property along with the boundry marker of our property just to the left in the picture.

Our property was surveyed a long time ago but the stakes were failry easy to locate.

Attachments

• 651865-RW.jpg
    651865-RW.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 950
   / How do I find survey stakes? #28  
This is a pic of the boundry marker for one of the corners of our property.

It's been there along time, but wasn't to hard to locate.

Attachments

• 651866-Corner.jpg
    651866-Corner.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 804