How do I find survey stakes?

/ How do I find survey stakes? #1  

rcrcomputing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti ck30
I need to figure out where my boundry's are. How far underground are the survey stakes and how might I find them other than buying a metal detector?

/ How do I find survey stakes? #2  
How big of an area?

The stakes are often above ground.

If you can find one, the others can be found if the distance is within reason.

/ How do I find survey stakes? #3  
rcrcomputing,

If you are in a subdivision it might be somewhat easy since the subdivision should be registered with with county. The county should have the plot of the subdivision in their mapping and/or deeds office. If you know who surveyed the lot/subdivision they should have a copy as well.

The survey might help you find a pin that is above ground. Once you find one pin in a known location you can get a measuring tape, a long 100 footer would be good, as well as a compass to find the next pin. The problem is that even with the survey in hand, a compass and tape, it still will be hard to find the exact location of the pin. A metal detector would help.

Thankfully my pins are exposed and somewhat easy to find. One or two are buried in new growth. They can be hard enough to find when they are exposed. Being buried would be a nightmare...

Good Luck,
Dan

/ How do I find survey stakes?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How big of an area?

The stakes are often above ground.

If you can find one, the others can be found if the distance is within reason. )</font>

5 acres. And it's shaped like a parrelagram. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ How do I find survey stakes? #5  
It really isn't hard and you shouldn't need a metal detector if your property has been properly surveyed and staked.
If you don't already have one, get a copy of your deed or plat from your PVA office. It will have the dimensions of your property. Once you have the layout, go to the road in front corner (either side) of the property and look in the centerline of the pavement for a concrete pin. This pin will give you a starting point and you can measure from there. You should have a pin at every corner or bend. The back side (soil areas) will usually be a piece of rebar with a plastic yellow cap over the end, but may be a concrete pillar, stone, or pre-existing corner post. You may have also see some old orange flagging or paint in the pin areas to help locate. You may even find a wood stake driven close to it or laying near the area for a visual marker if it was surveyed within recent years.
If you can not find any pins, you may want to see who did the initial survey for the plat. If it is a big company you might not have much luck, but you can contact them and ask about the pin locations or how they may have left visual markers. Most of them are pretty consistent in their work so they may be able to help you find them without having to have it re-surveyed.

Hope it helps,

/ How do I find survey stakes? #6  
OK.

Do you have a survey of the property available? Using the survey, I would try to locate one of the easy corners (near the front).
You'll need 1 stake to start. Around here, property lines are measured from the center of the road so you may need to account for that as you measure towards the rear. The stake may be just off the road.

If you're unsuccessful in finding either of the front stakes, is it possible to find a stake on any ajoining property? When I couldn't find my stakes, I checked the ajoining property, found his and measured his frontage off to get to my corner.

Speaking of neighboring properties, have you spoke with the owners? Your marks should be the same as theirs. Do they know where they are?

Once you have one stake, you'll want to take the approach Dan noted (compass and measuring tape).

Brian

/ How do I find survey stakes?
Have printed these and will see what I can figure out and post the results. Thanks!

/ How do I find survey stakes? #8  
In addition to the good advice you've gotten, a couple of tech tips: 1- all survey measure is "horizontal" so, if you have steep land and measure along the land surface you'll have to correct that distance to horizontal. 2- when using a compass, remember to account for the magnetic declination for your area.
Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How do I find survey stakes? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1- all survey measure is "horizontal" so, if you have steep land and measure along the land surface you'll have to correct that distance to horizontal. )</font>

Wow.. what a tractor project. So if I use my tractor and make my perfectly flat property so that it is sloped at a 45 degree angle. I'll have 18% more surface area to use!!!!!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How do I find survey stakes? #10  
all survey measure is "horizontal" .
//
that is quite often debated in property disputes. Where I grew up you could have 10 acres on a 4 acre horizontal measurement.
Ben