Real farmer question: Ammonia?

/ Real farmer question: Ammonia? #1  

Bob_Skurka

I have a 32 acre field behind my home that is leased out to a real farmer. Acutally I took over another acre or two this weekend by moving the fence row back to expand my garden so maybe he still has a 30 acre field. Anyway, today I was watching as he was applying ammonia to the field. Yesterday he sprinkled some sort of granular mix to the same area. I presume the granular mix is a fertilizer. What is the ammonia? Is it a nitrogen source? If it makes any difference, this year will have corn planted in the field. Last year was soybeans.

/ Real farmer question: Ammonia?
Does the ammonia quick release or slow release of nitrogen? Ok, any idea what the granular product would be? It is multi-colored (green, red, tan in flakes and granuals).

/ Real farmer question: Ammonia? #4  
Anhydrous Ammonia.... It is knifed into the ground (while there's sufficient soil moisture) It mixes with water to form ammoniam nitrate. GREAT nitrogen source for corn. It is a by-product of the manufacturing of dry ice, among other things. The granular application could have been a number of other fertilizers. Among the possibilities would be urea, potash, or a host of other commercial fertilizers.

Anhydrous ammonia is also sought after by criminals as a componant in the manufacture of "crystal Meth" (methamphetamine)

/ Real farmer question: Ammonia? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does the ammonia quick release or slow release of nitrogen? Ok, any idea what the granular product would be? It is multi-colored (green, red, tan in flakes and granuals).
)</font>

I put anhydrous ammonia on for about 5 years after I was out of high school. It can be put on in the fall or early spring and even side dressed. Even with the Anhydrous most farmers would use a starter fertilizer to get things going. This would be in granular and if I remember right 6-24-24 was a very common one. Today I overhead they use 9-23-30.

I miss putting on the anhydrous and believe it or not I miss the smell. After putting it on so many years I could withstand some pretty good wiffs of it and not be affected by it. And I never got a cold them years.

But I still remember the bad burn from it on my arm.

murph

/ Real farmer question: Ammonia? #6  
thcri
I did the same thing in my youth, and remember the same smells, and burns.

That was in '59. Ran 5 rigs with three nurse trucks, and in those days did it with no gloves, no safety goggles, and no water available for any cleanup.
Didn't pump the liquid into the tractor mounted tanks (didn't tow a trailer then), but just bled off (decreased pressure) to get the liquid to flow from the nurse tank to the tractor tank. Had one dude who wouldn't remember to disconnect the hose to his tractor tank, and took off twice without shutting it off or removing it. Both times had to sneak up to the nurse tank shut-off valve, with a wild hose whipping around spewing liquid anhydrous ammonia into the air. Had to be down wind of that, and hold your breath. Anhydrous gets into your lungs and absorbs every bit of moisture, causing one to suffocate I suspect.
But still, good memories.

/ Real farmer question: Ammonia? #7  
Watch out, nowadays the criminal methamphetemine labs are all out to steal anhydrous ammonia to transform pseudoephenrine into speed. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Real farmer question: Ammonia? #8  
I never understood why anyone would want to make drugs out of it and snort that into their body. Every year when I put it on I manage to get a big snoot full on accident, I don't want to do it on purpose.

/ Real farmer question: Ammonia? #9  
It mixes with water to form ammoniam nitrate

Drugs yes you are right,It can also be used as a explosive when mixed with fuel oil.