How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond

/ How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond #31  
You and Junkman are funny! I always get a chuckle out of your posts.

/ How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond #32  
There was a song about a young fellow that was swimming across Turtle Creek back in the early 1970's sung by Chuck Berry......

Once while swimming cross turtle creek
Man them snappers right at my feet
Sure was hard swimming cross that thing
with both hands holding my /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond
TractorbyNet Family

Thanks for the all of the replies. I learned a great deal about turtles, helping some of them find their way out of the pond and maybe into a "surf and turf" meal and had much entertainment in the process.
Thanks again.

Wayne

/ How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond #34  
oh yep: my dingaling, my dingaling

as far as the snappers go they don't sun themselves, the red eared sliders do on logs and rarely get bigger than 4' across & 6" lnog. they usually eat only small crustations fish & dead stuff along with buggs... Snappers on the other hand can go over 50 lbs easy CAN break / remove fingers and dingalings if not securly attached. they will eat live fish, dead ones smaller turtels dingalings even ADULT DUCKS yes I've witnessed it first hand! (full grown duck drug under by it's leg by a turtle that left bubble tracks over 4' across ! that is here in Ohio. I have also lost hole fishing stringers to them, nothing left but the heads. (talking 5;bs of catfish we caught and left in the water for a early morning frying pan of food! wasn't happy or full the next morning either /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I don't think there is a season for them but it does require a licence to fish/hunt for them off youre own land. in you're pond you cando as you wish. all above mentioned ways of getting them are valid traps snares milkjug lines as well as bank lines all work well. bait (dead fish hooked securly)
anyhow the red ears are nice to watch and will come up and sun often as well as surface and skim the top and float on top for long periods of time, snappers will stay down LONG TIME and rarley surface long enough for a shot. soft shelled turtles are also big fish eaters move faster and have a mean attitude too. they are not as heavy but will get bigger around and are usually a green or brownish color snappers have jagged shells with small piramid shpes on them. soft shells are leathery looking & feeling and VERY stinky more so than even a snapper.

for eating it is common to let them soak for a week or two in a tub of clean water to get the stink out of snappers but lots of people like them. (I'm not one of them though as I been around em a lot /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) anyhow happy hunting.
MarkM

/ How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond #35  
<font color="blue">The only difficult part is having to give back the 3 pigs we received as a wedding gift.
</font>

We were talking about turtles here but that man ran off with my bacon. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Used to see big ugly turtles laying eggs in the dirt on our lot before we built. But now that we are living on the lot I don't see them in the pond or on the land anymore, wonder why?

Attachments

• 639084-turtle.jpg
    639084-turtle.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 335
   / How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond #36  
oops, missed that point..your right, they come up to breathe, "sometimes" but don't get on the logs to sun..
sorry for the wrong info
heehaw

/ How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond #37  
There are still a few people who hunt for turtles where I am from. You wade in a creek, look for holes in the side of the bank, reach up in it to check for a turtle. Almost all go into the holes head first, but i have heard stories of them going in backwards, that is when you get your fingers clamped down on. I was never brave enough to do it.

/ How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond #38  
Hi Duber, My name is Liz. I live in Ulster Co. near the Hudson River. Saw your comment. I have a pond with a least 3 snappers I very much want to get rid of as I have baby goslings that have just hatched on the bank. Can you help me with this problem. I have a large turtle trap but not having much luck with it. Would really like to get rid of them. They will come to me when I feed them. Hope to talk to you, Liz

/ How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond #39  
Wow a nine year old thread....doubtful you will get response from him

/ How to get rid of snaping turtles in farm pond #40  
Wow a nine year old thread....doubtful you will get response from him

You are probably right, I thought the same thing. Never can tell, tho. Someone might come up with a good suggestion of what worked for them. I am open for suggestions. Thanks for replying.