Ford F250 Diesel Crewcab

/ Ford F250 Diesel Crewcab #1  

Hootie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, Kubota ZD 221, Kubota Grand L 5030 HSTC, Kubota RTV, Polaris 500ATP
Giving the graduating son my '04 Chev Z71. Never owned a Ford but started looking (my partner in the cattle operation is a Ford dealer and of course he encouraged this). If I went Chev. I would get the HD 2500. So I started looking at the Ford. Never owned one. This monster is sitting in my garage being considered. I never thought I would like a diesel. This 6.0 powerstroke seems awesome. Also, I am 6'6'' and like lots of room. Here is where it gets interesting. The chev. HD 2500 (gas) can be bought for about $34,500, diesel bout $39,000. The Ford as described is $37,100. All of these trucks are loaded (Silverado/Lariat packages, 4X4......etc). Just looking for some input.

/ Ford F250 Diesel Crewcab #2  
I think the Fords are good strong trucks and I also think that in a new truck that diesel is the only way to go. More power and economy. They do cost a lot though, don't they?

/ Ford F250 Diesel Crewcab
They are a bit pricey!! The way I am looking at this (probably wrong) is that for $3000 more I can get the Ford diesel (diff between the chev and ford). However, the way I use a truck (take real good care of them) the resale for a good diesel should be up there.

/ Ford F250 Diesel Crewcab #4  
Billy; Since through my brothers I get Ford on the "A" plan, the Ford is the only choice for me. If not, I'd probably wind up with a Cummins, [have a hard time saying that D word ya know]. Truth is, they are all decent trucks. Although I'm biased towards the Stroker, I've compared them all on the surface. The Ford IMO just seems to be a better built truck. Some feel the Ford is outdated as far cosmetics, but who really cares, cosmetics aren't what drags our tractors around.

You do plan on RED don't you? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The new SD's went back to coil spring front suspension. I had mixed emotions about that. These trucks were/are hard to manuver in parking areas designed for japanese cars, but the coil suspension apparently has removed some of the problem. How does the handling compare between the GM and the Ford in similar vehicles? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ford F250 Diesel Crewcab #5  
1 1/2 yrs ago I bought a 2004 Super DutyExtended Cab Lariat 8 Ft bed6 Liter powerstroke $38000 Tax (NY high taxes ) undercoating inc, cash no trade. I LOVE the truck !!!!!!!!!!!!17 mpg handles nice LOTS of power Rides great , pulls tamden axle trailer with my Kubota just fine and we live in some hilly area.

I too am allowed to buy on the "A" plan which has really got my attention!!! Truck sitting in the grage is RED, I mean RED. I like red but I hunt deer and ducks and am afraid I get carried away when going places. Usually go with white since it won't show scratches as bad. "A man has to know his limitations!"

/ Ford F250 Diesel Crewcab #7  
Billy; Dats whut I'm talkin bout, a CONVERT to the proper color scheme!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is you trailer goose neck or bumper pull?

/ Ford F250 Diesel Crewcab #9  
Hootie,

You probably have heard that the 6.0L Power Stroke has a spotty service record. My contacts have said the newest ones out have been better, but so far, it's been good one/bad one scenario. For this reason, I have kept my 7.3L Ford, which I really like. I have never owned anything other than Fords, but have some experience with the other brands. Here are my thoughts (at the risk of staring a brand loyalty war): all three major brands are good. Diesel is the only way to go in this size truck. The best engine right now is the Cummins in the Dodge. Stock, it will not perform quite as strongly as the Ford, but if you would be modifying it in any way, it takes well to them. The 6.0 L offers unparalled performance when stock, but offers a 100,000 mile shorter overhaul interval than the Cummins, so think about that. Ford offers some nice features that the other two do not for this class truck (such as EPBC, etc). I would not consider the Chevy in this class without the Duramax, which is quite expensive. The Ford frame and chassis is the best in class, still. In short, if the MOST important thing to you is the engine, OVERALL, the Cummins/Dodge would have the edge, but for overall truck, Ford still likely is on top. If you like the 6.0 Liter diesel PS Ford, I would get it, no one could fault you and it has excellent resale later if you decide it does not fit your needs.

John M

/ Ford F250 Diesel Crewcab #10  
I would buy the Ford. The Chevy may ride better and and have a nicer interior but the Ford is a better truck . To me the Duramax vrs. Powerstroke is a wash. The Chevy HD frame and crossmembers seem very close to the ground.

Dave