Questions about looking for land

/ Questions about looking for land #11  
In western PA the mineral rights were often purchased a 100 yrs ago, especially the deep Pittsburgh seam of coal. Around here the saying goes..."The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."

/ Questions about looking for land #12  
You have some great advise here.

I would expand on that by also looking at the land surrounding what you are considering.

Zoning, like others have mentioned is very important, but let me tell you, zoning can change in a few hundred feet. With rapid development of space, (in my area), we have some issues surrounding properties. Therefor. look not only at the property in question, but also those it borders.

Good luck, finding the right place is an exciting time!

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Questions about looking for land #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Look for signs of hunting on the land. Neighbors might feel they have a right to kill everything on your land since they've been doing it for years. )</font>

Man, isn't that the truth. I've been dealing with that for several months now. I have caught some people hunting on my property who told me that they had been hunting that land (which I now own) all their life. When I asked them how long they had owned the land, they just gave me a blank look. Then they repeated that they had been hunting that land all their life. When I, as kindly as I could, explained that they would no longer be hunting there, do you know what they said?! One guy told me that he would sue! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif What the...?!

/ Questions about looking for land
Hey you guys are great! All of this is really some great advice. I will certainly look into and ask the right questions when it comes time. You're right, it is an exciting time. But it can be exciting and frustrating. So thanks again for the advice. You guys have made my search a little easier.

Thanks,

Bryan

/ Questions about looking for land #15  
NCDeere,

I assume you are in NC. It would be helpful to know what part of the state. If you are in my area of NC and you want to build a house on the land you buy the most important issue is does the soil perc. And how good is the perc. That determines how much money you are going to have to spend to put in a septic system. I know of a lot that has a perc site within 10 feet of the lot line. Walk to the other lot and there is no soil that will perc on a 5+ acre lot. Actually there is no perc on about 30 acres. No perc, no house.

Also how far are you from a power source. In my area the power company ran underground service a good 1400 feet at no charge to me since there is a chance more homes will hook up in that 1400 foot run. If you are building on the top of a mountain and that is the only homesite you are almost certainlygoing to have to pay to have the power run up the house.

Definately drive around the land in question to see what is happening in the area. You might also check out he county and see if they know if there is any development going on nearby. Read the local paper if you are not living in the county containing the land.

Later,
Dan

/ Questions about looking for land #16  
Also check on the Fire Dept. And look for the nearest Hydrant.

/ Questions about looking for land #17  
Location, Location, Location. Visit the land at different times and days of the week. I even spent the night on mine in my pickup once. Location can determine future value, zoning restrictions, neighbors, crime rate, micro-weather, etc.... so it is not an easy decision and is personal.

Make your offer contingent on the perc test passing and other utilities readily available. This will give you time to do the dilligence necessary to discover the information. I had an obvious underground electric box within 600 feet of where I wanted to build and assumed I could use it but later discovered that it was 50,000 volts. I had to buy a transformer and have it installed by their "certified" installers... ended up costing $22,000 extra.

/ Questions about looking for land #18  
If you plan to commute to work, time the drive and time the drive during the time you will be making it. Look for supermarkets and hardware stores nearby. Look at surrounding land use. I would much prefer farms around my farm than housing.

Look to have an actual survey included prior to final signing so that you know what you are getting.

Look for swamps and wetlands. These are bad news up here in WA. This is why I bought in January because if it ain't when then, it won't be later.

In my state, the department of ecology maintains all the well logs online so that I can look at a map and find several close wells to see how deep they had to go and what production they got. Also soil types.

I wouldn't want flat land, some grade is nice. That way you can keep the water away from your house without buiding on stilts.

/ Questions about looking for land #19  
A few more things to look at/think about:
- Are there any planned public improvements which could result in special assessments.
- Any pending Property tax reassessment of the Property?
- Will you be able to get a permit for vehicular access to the property from a public road?
- Any high voltage electric (100KV or greater) or steel natural gas transmission lines located on but not serving the property?

Have fun - one of the few smart things I've done is get a larger piece of land you can call your own.

penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Questions about looking for land #20  
I know a couple that bought some land about hour away from the "city" they built a house and moved back to town becuase they missed having a neighborhood to walk around, visiting with neighbors..
What im saying is make sure you want to make the "comminitment" to being secluded and without contact. Good thing i learned this the easy way from this couple.

No offense to anyone but are you at the age where you need to see Doctors frequently?
This could play a factor in where you buy.

Good luck and be careful where you walk you might find an old abandonned mine or well.