Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas?

/ Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas? #1  

lww05

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX23
Several years before passing, my Dad had a small pond dug, about a half acre. It was stocked only with channel catfish and bluegill perch. During the non-winter months, we feed them the floating food on a fairly regular basis.When the first generation of catfish got big enough to warrant catching to eat, they were "easy" and fun to catch. We have restocked it twice since then plus I am pretty sure they are multiplying some on their own. When I feed them, they still boil like pihranas like they always have so I know there are a good number of them in there.

HOWEVER, for the past couple of years, they have proven to be a lot "harder" to catch by pole and line. We've tried all different types of bait and found small sized perch or cut perch to be the best but this is still too slow. I think they have wised up to getting caught and tell each other about the dangers of biting a hook. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif They really do seem to be spooked easier than they used to.

I'm talking a quick catch for dinner here folks and it aint like it used to be. Got kinda spoiled in the early years /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have a small bait castnet but have never been able to get the technique of correctly casting it to spin and spread out correctly. So if I can't get the small one to work, no need to waste my time on a big one. I've tried a trotline and throwlines. Also a trap full of catfishfood in a pantyhose. I laid a seine down flat on one corner of the pond and baited them in that direction with the floating food. They were too skiddish and scared of the new surrounding for that to work

Looking for ideas that won't kill the other fish or me; or drain the pond /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I do have 110/220 close by. One guy told me about using a DC welding machine to stun them. Haven't tried that or any form of electricity but am not going to say I wouldn't.

Any ideas?????

/ Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas? #2  
When we were kids we used to tape m-80's to rocks & toss 'em in. It was always good for several nice fish. (good for us NOT for them!) M-80's are hard to come by nowadays, but you can still get rocks & tape. (Disclaimer:"PETA" My memory is fading..........I don't recall...... it may never of actually happened............I know nothing................) MY DAD DID HAVE A POND THOUGH..............

/ Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas? #3  
one of the better things for a one/two catch for fresh dinner is just a good ole line & hook. You just need to find the right bate, feed them regularly with bread along witht eh other food untill they are used to it, use the bread as bait small quanities at first then as they are eating good following the perch & bluegills then catching the cats . the bluegills & bearch will make just as good a dinner as the cats and maybe better /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif While I like catfish the panfish are much better in my oppinon... anyhow a few worms on a hook is irrestable for cats too or small half squashed frogs... other bates such as chicken hearts work well to. some baits like the "Unkel Josh Catfish Baits" available at wally world work as well but you have aclimated them to eating off the top so stick to top or mid water fishing under a bobber. tight lineing is the other and the prefered method for catching cats though.

anyhow good fishing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MarkM

/ Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas? #4  
If the fish still boil on the food like pihranas I'd take a piece of the food and slip a hook in it. Use a very light line, like 4# test and a clear casting bubble. Set the bubble up the line from the hook about 3-4 feet and use no sinkers. Start feeding the fish, then toss in the line. The weight of the casting bubble will take it out there and the food should float or sink just like the normal food since there is no sinker. This is how I fish for most fish. Find out what they are eating, and mimic it behind a casting bubble.

/ Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas? #5  
I think you may be feeding them too much. If you are going to fish feed them later in the day when you're done fishing.

We also have catfish that we feed. Ours range around 10 pounds and are some real beauties. On the days that we feed them the fishing isn't so good but on the days that we don't feed them fishing is much better. We have always used hooks baited with night-crawlers placed on the bottom, tight-line fashion with good results.

Had a friend out fishing about a week ago and somehow he got his finger tangled in the mono-filament while wrestling with one of the cats. He called me last Friday to let me know it broke his finger. The cats are real strong fighters.

/ Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas? #6  
<font color="blue"> When we were kids we used to tape m-80's to rocks & toss 'em in. </font>

Nothing like a good old DuPont Spinner to fill the stringer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Then again, some people have pretty good luck with the Ma Bell Magneto.

/ Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas? #7  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( <font color="blue"> some people have pretty good luck with the Ma Bell Magneto. </font> )</font>

I'm told that can sterilize the fish. I don't know if it's true. Maybe Fishman can let us know.

My answer ... pack treacle can with calcium carbide, hammer lid on tight, knock a nail hole in either end, toss in water, stand well back, scoop fish off surface after explosion. It's a pretty non-selective way of fishing but it did work when I was a youngster.

/ Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas? #8  
Square Hooks; work all time!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

I'm told that can sterilize the fish. I don't know if it's true. Maybe Fishman can let us know. )</font>

Probably depends if its in or out when you crank the handle. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That would put me off for a couple of days. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Hard to catch pond catfish. Ideas? #10  
My brother just used to wedge some of the floating food on the hooks of a top water crank bait. Throw out the food and then the crank bait. Instant catfish dinner.