How To Kill Thistles

/ How To Kill Thistles #1  

Cabinholler

Silver Member
Anyone know what is the best way and cheapest way to kill thistles on farm fields.

Cabinholler

/ How To Kill Thistles #2  
Several years ago I had a lot of Canadian Thistle come up in my hay field. I asked an old farmer in the area how to get rid of them and this is what he told me. Mow them down when the moon is in the heart sign and they will bleed out and die. He then told me what days the moon would be in the heart sign and I mowed them during that time and almost everyone of them died. The few that came back I just spot sprayed with Roundup. If you can't find an old farmer with this knowledge the Old Farmer's Almanac will tell you the moon signs, you can get it at Wal-mart.

/ How To Kill Thistles #3  
Ive had success with roundup and heard 2,4-d will work also.
You can find the generic version of roundup Glyshophoate or something like that very cheap $40 for a 2 1/2 gallon jug.

When it was still under patent 3 years ago I paid $80 for the generic of the same size.

/ How To Kill Thistles #4  
My "old farmer" neighbor has a jenny and her foal, a jack, grazing in his pasture. He says he got them to get rid of the thistle, and it worked.

/ How To Kill Thistles #5  
Spray is the best, and cheapest, from my experience.

/ How To Kill Thistles #6  
Yep, I used donkeys to brush my creek. They think thistles are candy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Also, they'll fight over rose prunings ... the biggest baddest thornes, the better. Go figure

/ How To Kill Thistles #7  
I call Lonepine Ag Services once a year. They spray and fertilize my pasture about as cheap as I could do it....Even the county kicks in a few dollars.... Call your county extention office or a good Ag Services company.....Old timers use to dig them witha shovel, make a pile, and set fire to them!!!
I just have the boom guys spray. Life is alot easier now....

/ How To Kill Thistles #8  
2-4-D works great! $20 from TSC for a gallon of concentrate. Also kills most everything else but not your lawn. Be carefull around bushes at the house because it will kill some of them.

Chris

/ How To Kill Thistles
Birdman, goodoleboy, DougWatts, beenthere, HomeBrew2, thegreatrandini, and ChrisW

Fellows thank you for all the info on killing thistles in farm fields. I thought probably that 2-4-D, or Round-Up was about the best thing to spray on thistles to kill them.

Birdman, I will see if I can kill thistles out by mowing them down in the heart of the moon. There is a lot of people think that a person is silly by doing things on the farm by the moon. My dad farmed all his life, and he has been dead several years now, but he did a lot of things on the farm by certain moon changes. One thing that he always did by the moon change is plant corn. He told me when I was young, that if corn was planted in the wrong times of the moon, that it would grow 15 foot tall, and have nothing but nubbins for corn when it was ready to be picked. Now, to this day, I don't know when the right time to plant corn by the moon is. Dad had a neighbor that use to tease him, and say he planted corn in the ground, not on the moon LOL. Oh well, I guess everyone gets a laugh for the ways some people do things on their farms. Who knows, the moon might be telling us a lot of things if we would only watch.

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up until you get the hogs out of the pond (You got to find what the trouble is, and eliminate it).

/ How To Kill Thistles #10  
I was skeptical of the old farmers advice, but I was getting ready to mow the field anyway and luckily the right sign was only a couple of days away. It sure worked for me and I had a lot of thistle in that field. Who knows maybe something else was in play here but I don't know what it could have been.
My aunt passed away 2 years ago, I think she was in her upper 80's. My Mom was telling me about her when she was younger, said she always did her garden by the moon signs and she always had the best garden around. It might interest you to know she lived in KY, Casey Co.
GOOD LUCK killin them thistles /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif