Round Hay Bale Prices

/ Round Hay Bale Prices #1  

Cabinholler

Silver Member
What does 1,000 to 1,200 pound round hay bales sell for in your area of the country. Next week, a neighbor is going to cut a few acres of hay for me and bale it in 1,000 to 1,200 pound round bales. This hay is mostly mixed grasses. I don't need this hay at the present time, because I don't have any livestock to feed it to. This neighbor said that he might need all this hay, if I wanted to sell it. What would be a reasonable price per bale for mixed grass hay baled in 1,000 to 1,200 pound round bales.

By the way, the mixed grasses in my fields are Kentucky fescue 31, orchardgrass, redclover, and timothy mostly.

Also, mixed in with these mixed grasses are wild turkeys. I hope my neighbor doesn't bale any of my wild turkeys up in those large round hay bales LOL.

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up until you get the hogs out of the pond. (You got to find what the trouble is, and eliminate it).

/ Round Hay Bale Prices #2  
Currently I am buying similar quality hay in MD for 30-40 dollars per round bail. This is horse quality hay. He also sells cattle hay for 20 a bail. The diffrence is in the quality and amount of weeds or other vegetation.

Steve

/ Round Hay Bale Prices #3  
In the midwest grass hay sells for $25-40/ bale and alfalfa sells for $45-60/bale. That is for a 2000 pound bale so scale down accordingly for a 1000-1200 pound bale.

/ Round Hay Bale Prices #4  
I happen to like Wild Turkey, but if I drink too much of it I act like an ****...at least that's what the wife says. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Round Hay Bale Prices #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I happen to like Wild Turkey, but if I drink too much of it I act like an ****...at least that's what the wife says. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )</font>

Must be what happens..... I've been told that very same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Round Hay Bale Prices #6  
I bale with a smaller round baler. (Vermeer Rebel 5400) I do most bales at 4' X 4'. I sell them for about the same going rate as bigger bales. I get quite a few more per cutting than if they were bigger bales. (= more $$$$$) Most all my buyers like the convenience of the small sizes. They're easier to haul (usually in pick-up trucks) and easier to move with a smaller tractor.

The "going rate" around here is around $35 for rounds of average quality hay (low of $20 for "mulch hay, to $60 for alfalfa or timothy)

Squares range from low of $2.50 to high end stuff selling for $7.50. Average quality around $4.00

/ Round Hay Bale Prices #7  
This past winter grass round bales where going for $15.I bought 3 a couple of months ago for $30.

/ Round Hay Bale Prices
plumboy

So you saying that mixed hay grasses baled in a 1,000 to 1,200 pound roll bales is selling for $10.00 to $15.00 a bale here in the Central Kentucky area at this time of year. Wowwwww! At that low price per roll bale, I might be better off leaving it in the hay field for the wild turkeys to eat LOL. That price is a give away price. At the present time, I don't have any farm equipment to cut and roll this hay. Most farmers in this area will charge me $10.00 to cut, rake, and roll a 1,000 to 1,200 pound roll bale. Why is round roll hay that much cheaper than square baled hay? Most any square 60 pound bale hay, if it is any good at all will sell for $2.00 a bale, or more. That is 20 square bales of hay in a 1,200 pound round bale. If my figures are correct, that figures out to be $40.00 for the 20 square bales, and is the same pounds as the 1,200 round roll hay. Something doesn't balance out at all on this ordeal, but I could be wrong. I know there will be a lot of different opinions about this issue here on the TBN board.

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up until you get the hogs out of the pond. (You got to find what the trouble is, and eliminate it).

/ Round Hay Bale Prices #9  
The 10-15 price is for my area just above flemingsburg.Round bales will be cheap because they are hard to store and handle and are only good for feeding cattle.there is very little labor in them because the tractor does all the lifting.The square,which I am doing,is hard on the back to stack and usually needed to be lifted and stacked twice.Plain old grass squaes seem to bring like you said $2.Good hay squares can bring more-up to $8 around here in the winter.I will ask around lex to see but dont know many cattle people there,mainly just horses.All that nice equipment the farmers use to roll hay can only be justified through the profit of the cattle,not by custom rolling.

/ Round Hay Bale Prices
plumboy

Nice to meet another guy from Kentucky here on the TBN. By the way, I am from Danville, KY. I was in Flemingsburg a few months ago looking for a tractor and some implements. You have several tractor and implement dealers in your area. Also, while I was in your county, I noticed a lot of farmers feeding roll hay bales. I guess in your county, and like in my county, square hay bales are about a thing of the past. Most all farmers in my county feed round roll hay bales to livestock.

Anyhow, I still don't understand mix grass roll hay baled in 1,000 to 1,200 pounds selling for as little as $10.00 to $15.00 a roll. That is $20.00 to $30.00 a ton. Years ago when I farmed with my dad, our square hay bales that we baled ourself was at least 60 pounds per bale, or more . I know it is cheaper for farmers to bale hay in large round hay bales now. But, that means that a square bale of hay would sell for around 5 cents a bale, if 1,200 pound roll hay sells for $10.00 a roll. If I was a big time farmer, I wouldn't grow any hay. I would just buy it for my livestock from some other silly farmer crazy enough to grow it and sell it for $10.00 to $15.00 a round roll. It just doesn't make any sense for good mix grass hay here in Kentucky selling for as little as $10.00 to $15.00 a round roll. Although, supply and demand makes the price of hay go up, or down. Here in Kentucky, we have had lots of rain this spring, and there is a lot of early hay in this area of the state. If I had a lot of round hay bales for sale, I would ship it out of state, if the shipping price wouldn't be so high.

Farmers, if you live in other states, and your state has been dry, and you need hay, and if you can haul it, the hay in Kentucky sells for a give a way price according to the news that I am getting. That is as little as $10.00 to $15.00 for mix grass baled in 1,000 to 1,200 round hay bales. The going price in my area to cut, rake, and bale this hay in 1,000 to 1,200 pound rolls is $10.00 per bale. Wow! Kentucky farmers are making a killing, if they sell these round hay bales for $10.00. Just kidding fellows. At times, farming doesn't make any kind of sense to me at all. I guess by hay prices this low, and other farm products low, and with steel prices trying to shoot the moon, that is why there are less full time farmers every day. Since tobacco here in Kentucky has been shot out the back door, and if the bottom drops out of cattle, full time farmers in this state could be hurting down the road. Although, this is just my opinion, and I know other people on this board will have a different opinion than me on the price of hay, and other farm products sold off of the farm.

Cabinholler