Rough Pasture, How to make it smooth

/ Rough Pasture, How to make it smooth #1  

FL_Cracker

Platinum Member
Palm City, FL & Blue Ridge, GA & Freedom, WY
Tractor
Kubota L5030HST,R4 & Kubota RTV900R Utility Vehicle
I have about 7 acres that was cleared about 3 years ago. It was roughed in by a bull dozer and I grassed it myself. I did only a fair job on the grass and the weeds moved in quick because I have been only cutting it a few times each summer. It has also become somewhat rough because of the rains and other weather events. There is a lot of grass in it but also lots of weeds.

Do I have to start over and till in all the weeds or can I start adding new grass over seeded into the pasture and keep mowing to improve the overall grass bed.

What can I do about the rough spots. It's just very bumpy and I would like to find an easy way to smooth it out with out starting over.....

Any ideas.

Thanks,

/ Rough Pasture, How to make it smooth #2  
I have about 15 acres that I've rutted up bush-hogging when it was too wet that's pretty rough. I'm thinking of running the tiller through the rough spots at a fairly shallow depth and maybe backdragging with the boxblade.

/ Rough Pasture, How to make it smooth #3  
Try doing a web search for an implement called a "pasture renovator". (One good brand is a "Marcum" (sp) Also, consider a (heavy) roller.

I'd guess a lot depends on HOW ROUGH your "rough pasture "realy is.....

/ Rough Pasture, How to make it smooth #4  
I'd suggest looking at a Harley rake, or equivalent. I had a neighbors' contractor let his concrete trucks and other big trucks run loose in my field, which I was in the process of turning into lawn. The deep ruts stayed there, and I couldn't roll them out with a 'heavy' roller. So I rented a Harley rake and even though there was already pretty good sod, the power rake did a good job of knocking off the high spots and filling in the low spots. It didn't seem to harm the grass as much as one would think. I did put some seed down, but think I could have gotten by without it.
If you can find one to rent, that would be the best to try it out. Otherwise, a tiller and start over with grass seed.

/ Rough Pasture, How to make it smooth #5  
Yup, the Harley rake is a truly marvelous piece of equipment. I have a tiller and tillers do well, BUT they fluff so much and then it can settle unevenly and rut up if you are on it before it settles.

/ Rough Pasture, How to make it smooth #6  
I know what you mean about using the tiller. I did that in the barn lot, now it is a low spot and just as rough as before.