Why do my dogs eat grass?

/ Why do my dogs eat grass? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
The title says it all.

Ever since Otis had his parvo, the vet told us to start him back on easy food and then feed him good stuff.

Found "Nutro" brand, asked him if that was ok, he said it was great. I asked our OTHER vet the same question and he likened it to me eating steak every night but that it's downfall was it's expensive which doesn't bother me.

Ok, I mention their food in case that's a factor.

Both dogs will almost make a beeline to the grass & start eating when we take them outside. They can't be hungry per se' as they always have food available. When we walk them so they can do their "business", they are always stopping and grabbing a bite here or there.

Since it's both of them and they seem to do it so much (daily) it has me wondering about their diet and if perhaps the Nutro having some deficiency we're otherwise not aware of.

All I really need to complete this picture is a tiny cowbell for each of them.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any thoughts?

/ Why do my dogs eat grass? #2  
Our dog would eat grass and then throw up. I'm under the impression when the dog had an upset stomach, he would eat grass, throw up, and this would settle his stomach. Our dog was a cocker/golden mix.

Don

/ Why do my dogs eat grass? #3  
This would be a good question to put to Junkman as he's gone to the dogs. Actually he had some pet stores from what I understand.

BTW: Once you find out why your dogs eat grass maybe you can tell me why one of mine eats his own feces from time to time.

The breed is a Shih-Tzu and years ago someone told me that the Chinese Empire used to use these dogs as scouts when their warriors would traverse the lands. Anyhow the dogs were sent out ahead to scout for other warriors and if they had to relieve themselves they were trained to eat the feces so as not to let the enemy know that they were present.

I also believe Shih-Tzu means lion dog.

This whole story may be a load of cr** in itself as I have no way of verifying it.

So how about it O' wise Junkman what the real story on grass eating dogs and other nasty stuff?

/ Why do my dogs eat grass? #4  
Thanks for the compliments "Ole great one"..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why dogs eat grass has been a long time question that has never been answered by anyone successfully in my opinion. Some dogs eat grass because it is believed that dogs were originally herbivores, and it is a throw back to the old days. Others believe that it is because they don't feel well and the grass will help to relieve the upset stomach. Grass contains chlorophyll, so there is some possibility of truth I guess. Also, grass will make some dogs throw up the grass and along with that grass will come the round worms that have migrated to the dogs stomach, so you might say that it is a natural way to worm the dog. I don't particularly subscribe to that theory, but I have heard it many times in the past. Finally some dogs will eat grass and then pass the grass through the intestine and out the other end. Occasionally the grass will act like a string and just dangle there until they rub there bottom end on the grass. In that case, then grass is natures toilet paper.

Now, moving onto the dogs eating the feces. This has been attributed to dogs feeling that there is a nutritional value there, but I don't subscribe to that theory. My dog and my veterinarians dog are brother and sister and they both do it if you don't clean up the yard after they dump. I believe that this is a result of the dogs when they were very young not being fed enough and that lead to trying to satisfy there hunger any way possible. Then it becomes a bad habit. I can further prove this theory with the fact that Chloe, my mini dachshund that was born with a enlarged esophagus. Toward the end of her life, when she couldn't get the quantity of food into her stomach and her body was trying to grow, wanted to eat the feces because she was still hungry. Chloe was about 7 months old when she started to exhibit this problem of eating feces. Prior to that, she never did anything like it. This is why I believe that it is a learned trait very early in life when they don't get enough to eat.

I have found that dog foods can also increase or decrease this phenomena. My dogs are presently on Canadea, and I guess it tastes good coming and going. When they eat Wellness, I find that the dog has less of a tendency to want the feces or grass. Wellness is higher in vegetable matter, so that might be the difference. The one dog that does eat the feces if it isn't picked up quickly prefers processed Canadae to Wellness, but likes both the way they come out of the bag. When I asked the veterinarian if it could hurt the dog, his response was, "it hasn't so far, and who knows what the future will bring". I have both dogs tested regularly for worms and so far have had no problems with worms either. My greyhound would go out and roll in deer dung.... that is another problem of dogs. They like to roll in dung to cover there own smell. I have heard that it is so they can chase prey without there smelling them.... I don't know how that can be, because they smell even worse than the standard dog odor.

Also, I don't want to become the "Guru of dung", so please take this BS with a grain of salt...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Why do my dogs eat grass? #5  
We talked to our vet about our dog. She every so often will start eating grass and we were told it was some deficiency that has developed. It is not so much that they are hungry but missing something. Also the upset stomach will cause them to eat. Our dog never vomited but did eat a lot of grass for quiet some time. We changed food and now we don't have a problem.

murph

/ Why do my dogs eat grass? #6  
I actually emailed a buddy of mine who raises/trains, and sells dogs for a living. This guy knows all there is to know about dogs! Here's what he sent me:

Many reasons, many theories... I think they like it! Eating grass is basically a normal behavior for dogs, one which experts have given varying theories as to why they do this. Some believe that since dogs commonly vomit after eating grass, they eat grass in order to vomit. They may have an upset stomach or have eaten something bad and thus feel compelled to induce vomiting. Those who believe this think then that it's important that you not discourage your dog from eating grass when he feels so inclined. Another theory is that, in the wild, the normal diet of canids like wolves and foxes includes grass, whether they're actively seeking it out or eating herbivores. Because of this then, grass can also be considered a normal part of a dog's diet. And yet another theory is a rather simple one. Dogs eat grass simply because they like it. In fact, there may be certain species of plants and grasses that are particularly appealing to dogs. Unless your dog is eating grass excessively, it's really not a concern and you needn't be worried about it.
The cause and effect relationship in animals of eating grass and then vomiting is often questioned. No one has ever proven that dogs are intelligent enough to use grass as a medicinal herb, so those in the medical profession generally believe that dogs eat grass simply because they like the taste of it and that the vomiting just follows. Therefore, it's unlikely that a dog will eat grass or other plants in the hopes that they will settle its stomach. Be aware, however, that some plants, or grass that has been treated with fertilizer or herbicide, can cause stomach upset or other problems, some of which may be severe. See Prevent Poisonings for a list of toxic plants.

The Companion Animal Behavior Program at the University of California at Davis School of Veterinary Medicine is currently conducting a study of grass and plant eating behavior in dogs (and cats). Many theories as to why dogs eat plants have been proposed. However, this is the first scientific study to investigate this common behavior.

It's a normal part of their diet," Wild canine relatives of dogs—wolves and foxes—eat all their catch. They end up, therefore, eating grasses and plants in the intestines of these animals. Domestic dogs, eating prepared dog food, lack this roughage and so they eat grass.

"They just like it!"

Another reason: dogs may eat grass when they have an upset stomach in order to cause vomiting. "The grass will bind with the offending material. Then the grass acts as an irritant and causes the dog to vomit, bringing up the poisonous material at the same time. Finally, dogs may appear to eat grass, says Feiler, when they are just running the blades through their mouth to gather information. Their sense of smell and taste may act together to detect if other animals have walked through their area or urinated on the grass.

This guy has been training dogs for longer than I've known him, and that's been 26 years. They do narcotics/bomb detection/ search and rescue, and attack.

hope his advice helps,

anthony

/ Why do my dogs eat grass? #7  
<font color="blue"> I also believe Shih-Tzu means lion dog </font>
Shih-Tzu is the Chinese word for LION. Because of the way their hair grows around their face like a mane.
I thought a guy like you would have a real dog like Junkmans. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Why do my dogs eat grass? #8  
They eat it because they think it tastes good. Dogs do not have enough reasoning power or cognative ability to develop their own cause & effect reasoning without training, consequently they would not figure out that if they had an upset stomach they could eat grass and that would make them throw up and that would therefore make their stomach feel better.

/ Why do my dogs eat grass? #9  
Weimerinier? Sorry can't own any dog whose breed I can't even spell. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Why do my dogs eat grass? #10  
"They eat it because they think it tastes good"
That is what my vet told me. He said you will hear all kinds of storys but they just like it.