dogs fallen out

/ dogs fallen out #1  

deereman63

Silver Member
Tractor
deere 2210
The two ladies on the left are mother (chloe) and daughter (Hannah). Hannah has always been the alpha dog and it has been a regular feature that they would have mock fights to establish who was the boss. Recently, however, things have taken a turn for the worst and on the odd occasion the fights have turned nasty. We have made excuses fighting over food, lack of exercise etc but I have to make a decision whether to breed Hannah. I dont think I can take the chance, but could this be the cure?

/ dogs fallen out #2  
<font color="red"> I have to make a decision whether to breed Hannah. I dont think I can take the chance, but could this be the cure? </font>

Given the huge numbers of dogs out in the world that are not up to breed standards, confirmation and temperment, I have very strong opinions about people who breed dogs. That said, I will be very blunt. If you do not know enough to know the answer to your own question then you are really not qualified to breed dogs properly for the breed standards. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

/ dogs fallen out
I can assure you that we went through all the tests prior to breeding. The question I posed was essentially a rhetorical one.

/ dogs fallen out #4  
No! The pups would just be something to fight about... Try a little separation and individual attention..... Remember what Bob Barker always says.......

/ dogs fallen out #5  
I have to agree. Our 3 go a little hyper when the time spend playing games, working etc is low.

But on the flip side our boys play VERY VERY hard and you think they are killing eachother. But they love to play and stop if you tell them too.

My female and our middle one are at times showing who is boss (not her). At times we step in and other times, let them deal with it (about 0.20 seconds).

But good luck with breeding. After the wife did pit and rottie rescue for years, we decided not to and you do not make money for a few years.

/ dogs fallen out #6  
We have breed dogs - Boxers - for many years. That is 26 litters but we have retired from breeding. Temperment is always a little chancy no matter how well you know the blood line behind yor breeding. First thing I would do is have them both checked throughly by a veterinarian. Behavior changes can signal health problems. I do not know what you are feeding but we have always fed the top of the line in dog foods. I have always said the more you spend on dog food the less you spend on vet bills.

Do not expect that Hannah's having a litter will improve her temperment if she seems the key in the "spats".

Probably no help to you but these are my thoughts.

Vernon

/ dogs fallen out #7  
The last time I checked the map,we still live in the USA.
Hillary is not the president. (God forbid)
And political correctness is running rampant
sometimes I wonder if people are up to breeding standards !

Bob, if the guy wants to breed his dogs he doesnt need permission the last time I checked. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

By the way,I had the same problem with my Rat terrier & after she was bred,she mellowed out quite nicely

/ dogs fallen out #8  
Ernie, he wasn't asking permission, I wasn't taking any position on anything like permission. Please reread my post, I think you misunderstood it. However, you are correct, anyone can legally breed dogs. Doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Perhaps he does, but I'm always skeptical (no offence toward the original poster) about people who have a dog and want to breed it. Most I run across just don't know about OFA certifications, breed standards, breeding for temperment, confirmation, points, etc.

He asked a question, I simply suggested that if he had to ask that he probably wasn't knowledgable enough to be breed quality animals. And I admitted that that sounds blunt and it does.

I suppose I could tippy toe around things and sound more politically correct, but I have a policy of being honest and that means I can pretty much offend everyone at one time or another.

/ dogs fallen out #9  
Thanks Bob
Being able to offend someone on an intelligent level is a rare gift you should be thankful for.
Most people just fly off the handle.
however if the poor man wants to breed his dog, he should check with his wife first !!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Ern.

/ dogs fallen out #10  
DITTO what Bob S said!