Next years deer in garden

/ Next years deer in garden #1  

Gerald

Bronze Member
Tractor
L3830HST & L3010HST
I took this pic out the front window with a 10x lens. They were about 500 ft. away. Just a pic I thought some of you would enjoy.
When they are that little they are cute. When they are older and in my garden is another story.
Gerald

Attachments

• 678411-littledeer.jpg
    678411-littledeer.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 456
   / Next years deer in garden #2  
Saw one about the same size the other day on the bike trail by our house. Then we saw two snapping turtles laying their eggs in a hole they dug. Felt like we were on a nature program. The next day the raccoons had dug up all the eggs and eaten them. I guess that's why there's more deer than snapping turtles.

/ Next years deer in garden #3  
Thanks for sharing the pic's. I do like seeing nature shots.

/ Next years deer in garden
I guess he read this post and put on his camouflage.
Nature has a way of protecting the young.
I'm taking names of the ones in my garden this year.
I'm going to try to put them in my freezer this winter!
Gerald

Attachments

• 678477-deeragain.jpg
    678477-deeragain.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 271
   / Next years deer in garden #5  
Cools shots.

About two weeks ago I was up throwing some water on the plants in the garden one morning and two fawns came blasting out of the woods, followed in a little bit by their mother. I was behind a big pile of dirt from our driveway reconstruction and they couldn't see me as they came running up ......... by the time they spotted me and got themselves stopped they were about 3' away. The one actually walked up to within a foot of me ...... I could have petted it. Then momma deer showed up, spotted me and started snorting and took off for the neighbor's woods. One of the fawns took off and headed for our woods and the one that had come up to me just froze. I stood there for probably three minutes just talking to it. You could tell it was scared - it started peeing - it probably thought it was going to be dinner. Eventually it took off after momma deer.

Sure wish I would have had a camera ..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Next years deer in garden #6  
Randy, That had to be cool...

I had a similar experience although not quite as close more like 15' ... Was walking through my wooded section pretty quickly not paying much attention to the foreground and this little guy jumped up in front of me ,Honestly he starttled me as much as I did him /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Just stood there frozen starring at me for about 20seconds before bolting off /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Close encounters of the natural kind /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Next years deer in garden #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I stood there for probably three minutes just talking to it. )</font>

Glad I'm not the only one! Put out some corn the other day after disking and like pavlovs dog they came out of the woods to see what I was doing. I kept telling them to come on over for the food I just put out and they never did run away.

Theres a nature photographer here in Michigan who through sheer determination and patience (a few years) eventually got wild deer to eat apples out of his hands! I spoke with him at length about the process he went through Doubt I can ever do it but it's neat to think about.

/ Next years deer in garden #8  
mark,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That had to be cool... )</font>
Yeah, it was. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Honestly he starttled me as much as I did him )</font>
They definitely can make quite a bit of commotion.

One of the two fawns became trapped inside the neighbors sheep pasture in the last day or so ...... he's been walking around the fence edge, bleating for momma and trying to figure out how to get out ..... sticking his head through the fence and pushing ain't working so far. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif He's very curious about me - I've got it to approach with a couple of feet me if I go sit down next to the fence.

I mentioned it to my wife and of course she immediately says "Oh, the poor thing - it needs water - it's so hot out !" (Everything, wild and domestic, needs to be provided water or food from her perspective .... we have some of the best fed pets in the area I'm sure)

So anyways when I went up to water the garden last evening I had to take a bowl ..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Interestingly, this morning it was all gone.

/ Next years deer in garden #9  
Jack,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Glad I'm not the only one! Put out some corn the other day after disking and like pavlovs dog they came out of the woods to see what I was doing. I kept telling them to come on over for the food I just put out and they never did run away. )</font>
That's a hoot !

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Theres a nature photographer here in Michigan who through sheer determination and patience (a few years) eventually got wild deer to eat apples out of his hands! I spoke with him at length about the process he went through Doubt I can ever do it but it's neat to think about. )</font>
Indeed !

I remember as a kid going to the zoo or a park and feeding them out of a baby bottle - it was a real treat.

/ Next years deer in garden #10  
I caught these twin fawns on the woods' edge last weekend.