Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #11  
Phalynx,

In NC most timber deeds are sold such that the logging company can take two years to cut the trees. The timber sale is a legal transaction handled just like you would sell a house or land. Well it should be but I think many people are taken during timber transactions but I digress.

If there is a timber deed for the land in question you as the buyer should know about it since one normally expects the trees to go with the land. I can't remember how you would know if the land has a timber deed attached. I assume a lien but I just don't remember.

Depending on the timber and land value it very possible to buy land with trees where the timber value is more than the land. The timber can be sold for as much or more than the land. When the trees have been logged the land is sold as more profit. The timber company does not want to tie up their capital in the land so they sell.

When we where looking to buy land, we saw many properties that had been logged and then the land put on the market. We found one parcel that was gorgeous. It had been subdivided into 5 to 20+ acre lots. The 20+ acre lot we liked overlooked a low area that had a creek running in a valley. The other side of the low area, 10 acres or so, was an old RR line that had been abandoned which was the property line. VERY pretty. Some HUGE 36+ trees.

We told the sellers we would pay their asking price but NO timbering. They would not sell since they wanted the timber value. The land after logging would have been torn to heck due to soil conditions and wetness. This is what these guys would do. Buy land with good timber. Subdivide the land. Timber the trees and then sell the land. They where turning over lots of money. The trick is to fine the land with the timber. There are or where tax issues that worked to their advantage as well.

Later,
Dan

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #12  
The land doesnt have to look like crap after it was timbered. Hire a consultant forester or if you are buying the land make that part of the deal. Insist on the logging roads being put back to level and all of the tops cut no more than 8 feet long.

You pay the forester a percentage but from my experiance its worth it.

Or keep lookng for a piece that hasnt been timbered. You will have to buy bigger than 20 ac most likely. Check out the 50 - 100 ac range, the price per AC goes down the more you buy. You will spend more overall, but cost vs land, you make out.

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #13  
My uncle has a nice15 acre plot hes wanting to sell outside of Paris TN. Its bordfers with the Big Sandy game reseverve. Hes kept it bushogged the last few year but wants to get away from the maintenance and his kids dont want it. PM me if your interesested.

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #14  
Great post, thinking of retiring to Tenn... Thanks..Ken N Tx

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #15  
How about central Ky 30.20 acres with county water, within 400 yards of Green River that flows thru Mammoth Cave National Park, all open with the exception of 3-4 acres-established foodplots for wildlife and no buildings and fair fencing. Property tax around $500 per year--$54,500 (Mineral Rights Reserved)--Ken Sweet
Phone 270-528-3323

570_roosterfarm30.20back.JPG

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners
Here is a list of our requirements. They do seem a little picky after I read them..
Minimum 10 acres. prefer 20-50, max 150

Maximum 100k. We would prefer to get the most land for the money and would prefer to spend as little as possible.

Must be at least 50% wooded. NO clearcut, select cut, etc. We do not want what others have picked over. We want a very natural piece of land with old growth trees.

Must be on high ground in hilly area. No flat land, no low land, no flood land.

Must include several possible homesites.

Must have electricty and water access at reasonable costs.

Land cannot be split across road.

Must be very private.

Land should be within 1.5 hours of Nashville or Knoxville.

Owner financing would be highly desireable but not absolutely required.

All Mineral rights including timber rights must be conveyed to buyer.

Must be unrestricted

Must not be in or close to any city or town.

We have learned a lot living where we are at and know what we really want now.. I know it exists out there and if we get all of them, we'll be in heaven...

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #17  
<font color="blue">Must be at least 50% wooded. NO clearcut, select cut, etc. We do not want what others have picked over. We want a very natural piece of land with old growth trees. </font>

Market value of 25 acres of this type timber can easily go for over $100K alone.--Ken Sweet

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Market value of 25 acres of this type timber can easily go for over $100K alone.--Ken Sweet )</font>

Yeah, I figure it would. Better to be hopeful. I have found that acreage with full growth trees are 1000 an acre more than select-cut. What I have been seeing is people buy a forrest for say 60k, have it clear cut, then turn around and want to sell it for 60k. That just kills me..

Here is TX, thy buy the land, strip the mineral rights off and then resell it for the same price...

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #19  
<font color="blue"> What I have been seeing is people buy a forrest for say 60k, have it clear cut, then turn around and want to sell it for 60k. That just kills me.. </font>

Yea, That kills me too /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. The normal procedure here in central Ky, is to cut down to 12 inch diameter at 20 inches off the ground. This method makes the remaining trees more prolific and ready to harvest again about 20 yrs. --Ken Sweet

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #20  
At the risk of sounding stupid here. Could someone explain the selling off of mineral rights to me?

Thanks,
Dur