Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #1  

phalynx

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010, '83 Bolens G194
Hello, my family and I are looking for a change. We moved to farm life and love it. But, being in TX, has it's problems. No seasons, no cold, no snow...... I lived in TN back in 1980 for a few short years as a child growing up and just fell in love with it.

I know it's all changed. What I am asking for, is a good idea of how things have changed and the places that are still good quiet country locations in the state.

I lived in Arrington, TN those some years back. At that time, it was quiet and country. Now, it has exploded beyond belief. I am looking for input.

We want 10-40 acres in middle to eastern TN. We want lots and lots of trees, hills, a few acres of usable land for a home and other buildings and a large garden.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
Scott

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #2  
Have 23 acres maybe 10 miles from Arrington. It and the surrounding area (50 mile radius) still good country. If you are gonna buy try to check it out and buy land surrounded by active farms. Less likely to be subdivided or developed. Moved here 12 years ago and all land around me is still farmed, no development, got lucky. But the area is exploding with 3, 5, 12 acre single family homes. Most of em want just enough land to have a 2 or a few horses. It seems the horse thing is real popular these days. Within 10 miles of me there are 2 new developments of exclusive Equestrian facilities. They build common areas,trails, and elaborate horse barns, and fancy indoor arenas. You buy 1-2 acre lot in development to build home ($1 million & up homes) and have acess to all amenities. I'm sure they charge a monthly fee in addition for use of all on ground facilities as mentioned. Of the 2 developments I mentioned, One is Saddle Springs at about 200 acres, Other is Brandon Park about 100 acres, but acreage is wild guess.

Within 5 miles of me a 500 acre farm just sold and will be developed into a subdivision, no idea how many homes or lot size. There is some land still available, but prices to me are outrageous, $6k - $15K an acre!! If you find some place near me and want me to take some pics to send you OK. I like the area South of Franklin, East of I-65 maybe up to 15 miles east, South of Franklin almost to Columbia. If ya relocate here (near Arrington) send me a PM and we'll get together and swap lies or labor. If you are on TBN you can't be all bad!

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #3  
I have 30 acres in East Tennessee (Cosby 14 mi N of Gatlinburg) and love it. I am a transplant from very city NJ and new there. It is country but not way out there and you can still get exactly what you are looking for at a very good price.

Charlie

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners
Thanks for the replies. We are going to be driving to TN to look at property very soon.. (Kids think we are all just going camping in TN). We are having a hard time finding a good real estate website with good land listings in the state. In TX, there are many. TN seems to have a few, but most of the land seems to be in the North directly between Nashville and Knoxville. I need to be closer to one of the cities. I don't mind a long commute, I commute 1.5 hours each way today.

I can't believe how much it has changed in the Franklin area. I use Google Maps to look at the changes via the sat maps. It is incredible. We lived in Lake Colonial Estates and that place is packed full now. 3 acre tracts,,,, horses.... yep.

I need enough land to keep me away from anyone else decisions and not so much that I can't afford to feed the kids.

Also, maybe you can fill me in on this. It seems like there is a lot of select cutting on the properties and then selling off. I want my wood!!! I love large trees. Do I need to be aware of both mineral rights and timber rights or are they normally conveyed?

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also, maybe you can fill me in on this. It seems like there is a lot of select cutting on the properties and then selling off. I want my wood!!! I love large trees. Do I need to be aware of both mineral rights and timber rights or are they normally conveyed? )</font>

I'll bet the wood was sold to pay for the estate taxes, and didn't cover the total owed, so the land had to follow. Dang shame you can't leave it to your kids, without the goobermint takin' more'n half of it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #6  
I certainly am not an expert on mineral or timber rights, as regards to land. Doesn't seem to be an issue in Mid Tenn. Maybe in the NE corner where there is coal & some oil. I would think that would be something disclosed in a deed? Just make sure you ask before closing. I am selling the walnut off my property as I write this, maybe 1 flatbed load. I won't even know it is gone, plenty of trees in the wooded section of my property. I know mineral rights are a big issue with land purchase in oil country. There are some managed forests by corporate interests in TN. but none I know of in the Franklin area. They seldom sell any land! Good Luck on the camping trip and happy land hunting.

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #7  
I'm near Cookeville, between Knox and Nash north of 40. Nash and Knox are each about 1hr drive away when you need more city. Cookeville is just big enough to have most of what you need from "the city" but the surrounding area is very rural, but also with a lot of diversity. Fairly flat to the south (lots of farms and nurseries), very ridge/ravine to the north where I am. That kind of terrain makes it easy to have a very secluded place and makes it hard for typical development. I know of a very nice 45 acre tract for sale just south of me. Asking price is $98k. I can post some pics if you're interested.

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #9  
We like to stop in Cookeville for the night when we go to West Virginia; plenty of good places to eat and reasonably priced motels. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners #10  
I have alittle over 4 acres in Knox county in east TN and although the plan is to retire on it, if I had it to do over again, we'd have gone further out into a neighboring county.
Not that it's bad where I'm at, which it isn't, it's the taxes that are driving us nuts! That and the ever expanding traffic and population from the bustleing city of Knoxville.

Bordering counties to the counties with large cities have a much better tax rate and also benefit from the commuters making their homes in these outlying counties.

The state is primarily made up of rural farm type properties which many consider this to be a positive in quality of life.

You definitely experience all 4 seasons here. Snowfall isn't as frequent as our northern neighbors but 1 to 3 foot snows aren't all that uncommon, especially in the east and on the Cumberland Plateau.

I'm not familure with Arrington but have many friends in middle TN that love their areas and wouldn't think of living anywhere else.

Enjoy your "camping" trip. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Volfandt