Coyotes

/ Coyotes #21  
I have never seen them hunt in packs here in West Virginia(not to say they don't) I once had a herd of Red Angus and right in the middle of the afternoon,I seen one in the middle of the heard looking at a potential calve/meal,he went to the woods and buy the time I got my gun,he was no where to be seen. I had a Yellow Black Mouth Cur/Leopard Cur mix dog and he had a path beat across the woods that night,because he kept hearing the darn thing and the cattle carrying on,I believe that cur dog kept him out of the cattle that night and probably saved some calves.

/ Coyotes #22  
Around here, you can be criminally prosecuted and jailed for harming another person's dog. Dogs belong to people like other personal property. Wild animals dont belong to anyone. Some wild animals are protected by laws from killing by man (eg, hunting seasons), but wild animals are not protected from being killed by other animals. On the other hand, if one of your personal property animals, such as farm livestock, were being attacked by someone else's dog, then you could protect your property by appropriate means. These kinds of laws can vary from state to state, like hunting laws.

I have seen a few scrawny solitary coyotes here in CT. They seemed skittish, and I"m sure my German Shepard could have handled him alone. Packs, of course, could kill anything.

I'm worried my 16 lb. Lhasa Apso with the foxes I am now seeing, which are bigger than she is. She will give chase to them, but of course the fox is usually also seeing me and/or the Shepard. Does anyone know if foxes attack small dogs?

/ Coyotes #23  
<font color=blue>most likely to happen when the cow is in the process of calving</font color=blue>

That's just what a couple of neighbors have told me, too. The closest neighbor had 5 donkeys in with his cows for several years; got rid of all 5 last year; lost so many calves he bought more donkeys.

Bird

/ Coyotes #24  
Glenn,

<font color=blue>Around here, you can be criminally prosecuted and jailed for harming another person's dog. </font color=blue>

It's probably about the same most everywhere, but as you well know, not everyone follows the law. If they did you might become a full time farmer/tractor consultant/author/open your own dealership.... not bad options /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Al

/ Coyotes #25  
Here in NH we have packs of coyotes. Like any predator, they'll get more agressive if food gets scarce.

Around here we have enough turkeys, rabbit, grouse, field mice, etc.. to keep them fat and happy. They will go after cats which stray from a home.

They also do like the afterbirth from cows which deliver in the fields. In our area, I've never heard of coyotes killing pastured cows.

At night they'll approach a house (rarely in the day unless they are extremely hungry or sick or a straggler). We've had them bed down in our unmowed pastures near the house and they do love to sing.

Our 2 dogs (border collie / black lab mix) will howl back at them. They've even chased a few stragglers during daylight hours.

I'd never let a dog out at night to chase any predator including coyotes (just not worth the risk). IMO, if you have a predator problem, lock up your animales at night (if possible). If not, make sure you have enough of them to feed the predators and have some left for yourself :).

My 2 cents worth,

Bill

/ Coyotes #26  
Glen,
I have never heard of a fox attacking a small dog,not around here anyway,just rabbits,chickens or field mice.

/ Coyotes #27  
Some dogs will chase a deer until it drops,and that is no good,I have seen deer running where they are completely exhausted and lay down and you can walk right up to them,if I had a dog running deer I would take a 2x4 to it and knock him into next month,a more humane way might be a shock collar and turn the juice way up.

/ Coyotes #28  
Bird, I've heard of people raising goats who use donkeys to keep coyotes away. Wasn't sure if it was for real, or just an old wives tale. How does this work? Do the donkeys chase the coyotes away? Or is it that coyotes find donkeys so repulsive they won't go near one?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Ernie

/ Coyotes #29  
Woods,Hope ya'll love the new place...ANd I must agree with every one else.Yes Your dogs can be a target.Ive been told by some of the old timers around her a coyote will draw a dog out just so they can kill it(I figure its just a territory thing). When my sister in law and her her husband moved into their place a few yrs back.One nieghbor asked if they carried a hand gun in the car,they don't. He said they may want to consider it.He said he has on occasion come home to find coyotes slinking around the driveway.Also said he'd had 5 dogs in 5 yrs.blames it on coyotes.

AS to fence,alot of people around her say an electric fences work well for keeping them at bay.Never seen proof of it though.Others may have.We just moved in our new place last FEb.But we even had them in our old place which was in a well populated area.Our old nieghbor had seen one standing in our front yard one evening just before we got home.Were we are now even before we moved in the folks here warned us of them.I have yet to see one but I know they are there.I consider it fortunate that most of my neighbors here have dogs.Most of which come around daily to visit mine.Have yet to met one that wasn't glad to see me.

ALso make sure your dogs are waring a coller.Here Some folks will shoot at a dog without one assuming it's a stray/wild.(that dumpimg thing again).Can't say I blame them.If I had live stock I would be leary of them to...

One more thing.Here in Alabama Coyotes are considerd a pest and can be shot from dasylight to dark yr round.I've even hear there's a $50 bounty if you bring them in with no bullet wholes in the hide(haven't asked a game warden)but if it is true it's probly just an old deal thats been around for deckades.

Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D

/ Coyotes #30  
<font color=blue>Does anyone know if foxes attack small dogs?
</font color=blue>

Never heard of that. Both red fox and gray fox are pretty small critters. I would guess the gray fox that we have around here is no bigger than a small terrier.

BTW - Useless fact #247: Western gray fox is the only canine known that can climb trees. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

The GlueGuy