Underground propane tank

/ Underground propane tank #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
I am looking into purchasing my own propane tank. Has anyone had any experience with underground propane tanks?

/ Underground propane tank #2  
Yes. That is what we had installed (500 gallon) when we bought our land and COULDN'T BE HAPPIER! The filler area that comes out of the ground is about the size of a basketball. Very clean/neat looking. Hope this helps.

/ Underground propane tank #3  
All nine of mine are above ground. I don't think that there are any below ground tanks in this area.

/ Underground propane tank #4  
I think I would think twice about that . Propane settles in low spots if if leaks . Since it is already a underground tank it looks to me like a accident waiting to happen .No way I would ever do this . You might want to check with your local Fire Department about this .
Allen

/ Underground propane tank #5  
Buried propane tanks have been around for a very long time. They are specially manufactured for this purpose and leaks are not a problem. True that propane does fall, but if the tank is buried, then where are the voids for the "leaks" to fill? The only downside to a buried propane tank is the cost. As a homeowner, you might be allowed to dig the hole, but that is about all you will be allowed to do. The propane company that is going to sell the tank, will also want to be responsible for the installation, and will not allow you to have much more to do with the installation, since they have to certify to the fire department that it has been properly installed. That translates to you can stand around and watch, but they will be doing all the work. That would be fine with me, since I wouldn't want to be responsible if something was done wrong. Once again, this is time to let the professionals do the job, while you take the pictures. Also shop for the best price on the tank and also get a firm quote on the cost of filling the tank. Around here, they try to tie you into a fill contract if they install the tank. If you use enough, they will even install it for free with you paying for the fuel over the next 5 years. Then the tank will belong to you. Personally, I prefer to own from the beginning so I can pick and choose who I want to fill the tank based on price. I am presently purchasing propane at 20 cents over the Selkirk price. Best deal that I could get, but I have heard of others that are better. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Underground propane tank #6  
<font color="blue"> Personally, I prefer to own from the beginning so I can pick and choose who I want to fill the tank based on price. </font>

This is excellent advice. Around here, you can get an underground tank supplied essentially for free, although you have to pay for the hole to be dug and refilled, unless you have your own backhoe. However, the catch is that they retain ownership of the tank. What that means is, no one else but the gas company that supplied the tank can fill it. It's a state law in Florida, and most likely everywhere else, that no gas company can refill another company's tanks. You can understand why; if you don't pay your bill, they don't want you to have an easy way to get gas somewhere else.

If you own your own tank, as was said above, you can get gas from anyone, and can shop for the best price. However, there may be a downside to that -- unless you have a contract with the gas company, they may not give you as reliable service as they do for people who are tied to them.

If you do end up owning your tank and shop around for gas, be sure to get a bill of sale for the tank, and keep a copy handy, to prove your ownership.

Don't worry about the tank underground -- it's done all the time and is safer than a tank above ground.

/ Underground propane tank #7  
Mine is above ground and my brothers is below. Below you are given a solid piece of metal (aluminum?) as an anode to prevent corrosion or act as a ground.
I prefer to have mine above ground so I can SEE any issues if it happends. I plan to put fencing up around it and add bushes to make it more appealing. But as others say, don't worry about it. If you want to bury it go ahead.

/ Underground propane tank #8  
Every time I see an above ground propane tank I have to think just how much more secure that a buried tank would be. Don't know what caliber round that it might take to pierce a propane tank but I'm sure you have seen all kinds of traffic signs riddled with bullet holes and it makes me cringe to think what could happen.

/ Underground propane tank #9  
We just finished building a home last year and I purchase a 500 Gallon tank. While we only use it for the grill, hot water heater and gas logs the first fill lasted us for 8 1/2 months.

Owning your own tank around here also saves you a minimum of 25Cents per gallon. We called all suppliers before our first fill up and again on our last delivery which we did not fill up. If you figure 25Cents on the gallon it does not take long for it to pay for itself.

/ Underground propane tank #10  
I agree ,Junkman that the above ground tanks are not that nice to look at . I still would be very interested to know how the local Fire Department would feel about it . I would not want to be a fireman fighting a house fire and unknowly standing on top of one of these . I am going to ask the local fire chief in our area for his input . In our area ,even underground home heating oil tanks are now frowned apon .
Allen