Hand held GPS

/ Hand held GPS #1  

alan40

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH1720, .
My Magellan GPS 315 just bit the bullet. It was a nice system and now am looking to replace it. Looking to spend between $200 - $350. All ready doing some research but would appreciate all your inputs. Used mostly for hunting and swamp exploration. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Would like be able to link it to my computer.
Thanks and have a great day!

/ Hand held GPS #2  
Take a look at the Garmin 76S or CS. Nice hi rez screen, great mapping and routing, very good battery life, waterproof and floats. The S version adds an atmispheric altimeter and mag compass. I had a 76S and upgraded to a CS (color screen). The color is slightly lower rez, but the color contrast makes up for it, and it is readable in sunlight w/o backlight. The CS adds a USB interface and internal 115 meg for maps.

Check out: http://www.gps4fun.com/ for good prices.

paul

/ Hand held GPS #3  
Ditto on the above. I have the Garmin 76S and use it a lot for fun, and at work. I have had it strapped onto the front of my fourwheeler leading bulldozers around clearing right of ways for several weeks and it has never let me down. Also the accuracy of it is very impressive. The surveyors I was working with recommended it to me as they said it was the best and most accurate consumer grade unit. We found that it was usually within 5 feet accuracy when checked against a $20,000 Trimble RTK professional surveying GPS.

/ Hand held GPS #4  
You may want to consider a unit that provides topographic map utility. I have the Garmin eTrek Vista with optional Topo software. I like the fact that I can place myself in relation to the surrounding landforms. Topo software is quite accurate.

Look at the Vista and the Legend

Garmin eTrekVista

Hope that helps

/ Hand held GPS #5  
Whoa!!! heheh

I have an eTrex Vista and a Mercury Marine branded standard eTrex that I'd sell for a great price.. Both in near perfect condition.

I use Vista flying, but am going to a garmin Rhino instead of my Vista to save weight and bulk. With my Vista I have to carry a radio and a GPS.. with the Rhino their one and the same.

/ Hand held GPS #6  
Garmin Map 76S from TVNAV. Good people to work with.

/ Hand held GPS #7  
   / Hand held GPS
Thanks for all the inputs. Makes for a harder decision. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Have to put it on hold until after the fall.
Thanks,
Al