How to properly disinfect your water well......

/ How to properly disinfect your water well...... #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
<font color="red">WARNING: </font>

Chlorine is an oxidizer and will burn holes in your clothing if you spill any on yourself. Also, it can cause eye damage, so protective goggles are the order of the day. Keep it from getting on your skin, because prolonged exposure can cause harm. Don't breath the fumes either. Read, understand, and follow all written instructions on the package. If you are unsure of anything, then don't start this project.

Cleaning of the well has been known to be detrimental to your physical well being and in extreme cases has been known to cause divorce. Chlorine in concentration is a health hazard. Do not drink chlorinated water. When in doubt, use bottled water. Showering with chlorinated water will strip your body of all oils and may leave you with a different hair color. Do not wash your dog, children, or car with chlorinated water. Chlorinated water will cause permanent damage to colored fabrics.

If you have any water filters in the lines, remove the cartridges first. If you have a water softener installed, set that so it is being bypassed. You don't want to introduce chlorinated water into the softener. I have no idea what harm it can do, but I was told that chlorine isn't good for them.

<font color="red">Disclaimer: </font>

The author is not responsible for any and all damage, to people, persons, objects, both animate and inanimate, physical or mental, marital discord, problems with neighbors, farm animals, in-laws, outlaws, relatives, etc. This is for general informational use only and you should first contact your health department, plumber, electrician, minister, doctor, dentist, and any other professionals that you deem necessary to protect your bottom posterior from harm or damage, both mental and physical if some other person deems this a bad idea.

The information contained in this post is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind. The entire risk as to the results and the performance of the information is assumed by the user, and in no event shall Junkman, or the Lovely_Mrs_Junkman be liable for any consequential, incidental or direct damages suffered in the course of using the information in this post.

<font color="blue">BASIC INSTRUCTIONS: </font>

I use 1 gallon of household chlorine for a 200' deep well. More for deeper and less for shallow. You should know the depth of your well before starting. If it is a shallow well, then use less than a gallon of chlorine. You can always add more, but it is impossible to get it out quickly if you use too much.

To properly disinfect the well, after you put the liquid chlorine into the well use the garden hose to circulate the chlorinated water back into the well, washing down the sides of the well casing. Do this for about 1 hour so all layers of the water in the well are totally mixed with the chlorine. After the well casing has been properly disinfected it is time to disinfect the water lines. Open each cold water faucet in the home until you smell chlorine in the water, starting with the line that is the farthest from the water storage tank. Don't forget the washing machine and ice maker. After that is done, turn off the water heater and drain it down. Fill that with the chlorinated water and then open let that chlorinated water come out of each hot water faucet till you smell chlorine. Also flush each toilet a few times to get the chlorine into them also. Let the chlorinated water stand for a few hours in the lines. Best to do all this when no one is going to be home all day, because they are going to hate you for doing this job. After you feel that the lines have been disinfected enough, take the hose out of the well casing and lay on the ground. Let the hose run for a few hours to reduce the amount of chlorine in the well itself. Once you have the well cleared of chlorine, then start to flush the cold water lines starting with the one furthest away from the water storage tank. Drain and refill the water heater, and flush the hot water lines. Don't forget to turn the water heater back on after you complete the flushing. Throw away the chlorinated ice and flush that line. Run the washing machine to get all the chlorinated water out of those lines, or do a load of white laundry that needs to be bleached. You will probably also need to clean all the faucet aerators, since the flushing will probably clog them with sediment that was in the lines. Also check to make sure that all toilet fill mechanism are functionally properly.

<font color="blue">OPTIONAL CLEANING:</font>

Thoroughly clean the toilet. Add the required amount of cat shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted. Obtain the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape). Flush the toilet three or four times. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids. The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself. The dog... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How to properly disinfect your water well...... #2  
Only you would put forth so much effort for the result. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I liked it.

/ How to properly disinfect your water well...... #3  
Junkman,
Since we have iron bacteria in our well, I've found that pulling the filter cartridges will allow an amazing amount of rust brown crud into the lines. I now NEVER run water through the lines without a filter. Actually, I use 2 inline, a pleated paper cartridge to get most of it, and a string wound cartridge that seems to get the really fine stuff out. Without the filters at least the first 2 loads of laundry would be very brown.

Everything else seems like good advice. I especially like the method for cleaning the cat. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

/ How to properly disinfect your water well...... #4  
<font color="blue"> ( I especially like the method for cleaning the cat.) </font>

You just moved to the top of our list!

/ How to properly disinfect your water well......
Chlorine will kill iron bacteria for a while, but nothing that I know of will totally eliminate it. When my well was drilled, the water testing company that I used suggested that I put 5 pounds of swimming pool chlorine powder down the well before the pump was installed. I had told them that the pump wasn't going in for about a year since the well was drilled early in the building project. When I opened the well, there was no chlorine left in it. I installed the pump and disinfected the well again with 1 pound of chlorine powder using the above method. Since we were not living in the home yet, I was able to allow it to stay in the well for a very long time. This eliminated the bulk of the iron bacteria. Now, many years later, we do have some trace of iron in the water, but not anything like the old well which was a half mile away.

/ How to properly disinfect your water well...... #6  
It's been awhile but I've herad of law suits due to chlroine and rusty water coming up in neighbors' wells when someone else shocked their well some distance away.

Clorox bottles say "not to be used for water treatment" and pool chlorine should never be used in potable water. Doing so can be dangerous due to the additives to prevent sun and air dissipation.

No bleach meets FDA or the NSF Standard 61 for potable water use. Only chlorine pellets made for the purpose do.

Gary Slusser

/ How to properly disinfect your water well...... #7  
Where does one obtain such pellets?

/ How to properly disinfect your water well...... #8  
Any water treatment dealer in your yellow pages under the water conditioning filtration or treatment headings or on the internet. Independent, non National brand type dealers, will have the best prices.

The pellets are 1 gram 70% chlorine, so it doesn't take many of them but any dealer can tell you how many once they know the type of well and the volume of water in the well from the ID and depth to the water and the depth of the well. You would put them in buckets of water to dissolve them and then pour the solution down the well. Then run water down the well to mix the column and then into the house plumbing. Do not run this much chlorine into a septic system. Run it where you don't want to kill vegetation.

Gary Slusser