old camp lantern burns yellow

/ old camp lantern burns yellow #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I have an older "Coleman" style white-gas lantern. My parents got it back around '65. It has worked well on campouts and hunting trips for a long time.

It seems to be burning yellowish lately, especially compared to the newer Coleman we have. Same gas, same mantles(both are dual mantel lanterns. The new one is bright white, but the old one is yellowish. It does not seem to have any soot or anything to indicate a rich condition.

Is there anything that can be cleaned, blown out, or? It has a generator number on the side. Do those go bad? Looking at it, which tube is the generator?

/ old camp lantern burns yellow #2  
I believe there is a long filter inside of the tube that can be changed out. If i recall that is what I did to mine about 10 years ago to fix it.

/ old camp lantern burns yellow #3  
I'd start with changing the generator (and the included orifice). That may fix the problem. Unfortuneately, over time, as the generator cruds up, so does the valve so you may still have some troubles even after.

/ old camp lantern burns yellow #4  
Isn't it great to see a simply-designed, relatively inexpensive piece of equipment that still works as intended after 40 years? Kind of like old tractors and old motorcycles. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I still have and use (sometimes) a brass Svea backpacking stove that I bought brand new 35 years ago for $14. Very crude by today's standards, and very noisy - sounds like a jet engine - but it still functions exactly as designed and built, with all original parts.