Bird like insect......

/ Bird like insect...... #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
I have no idea what this is, but it flies around at night and is able to stay in one place by keeping its wings moving quickly just like a hummingbird. It keeps going from one flower to another removing what appears to be the nectar of the flower. What is it???????

Attachments

• 705461-MVC-705F.JPG
    705461-MVC-705F.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 408
   / Bird like insect......
here is another picture......

Attachments

• 705464-MVC-707F.JPG
    705464-MVC-707F.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 284
   / Bird like insect......
Last one. Surprising thing is that the bats that fly around the house at night collecting the moths that are attracted by the outside light don't seem to both this insect. There are a few of them buzzying around from the time that it gets dark till daybreak..... bats and these insects.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 705465-MVC-708F.JPG
    705465-MVC-708F.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 240
   / Bird like insect...... #5  
Always thought them to be moths. Mike's little page kind of threw me for a bit.

Mike, how did you find that. Seems to me you don't have much to do to find stuff like that?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Murph

/ Bird like insect...... #6  
Murph I simply typed hummingbird moth into the Google search engine and it was one of the 1st results returned. I use Google for information needed all the time.

/ Bird like insect...... #7  
TBN is like a Google search for me. Thanks PineRidge. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Bird like insect...... #9  
that's a luna moth, or real name Saturnidae. it only flies at night... junkman, in MA there's a place called "the butterfly place", i think it's in concord. anyway, they have them there to look at in daylight... i've also seen these guys hugging tree trunks (oak) during the day. i did a google search on them and there's a lot of information out there... -art