Raw sewage puddle in lawn

/ Raw sewage puddle in lawn #1  

coachgrd

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1870
I wouldn't go so far as to say I am a "runner" but I did start jogging back in February and have lost 18 pounds! Anyway, each time I pass a trailer park down the road from me (about a 1/2 mile) I smell sewage. Today as I went by I saw why...a 20' puddle of raw sewage in this yard bordering the road. My first thought was to call the Board of Health and let them know but then I immediately thought "no, as soon as I do that, I will be struck with some string of bad luck myself, I just know it." On the other hand though, I wondered what the chances are of that raw sewage seeping into the area ground water and contaminating it. I am torn as to what to do. Any thoughts? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Raw sewage puddle in lawn #2  
Bad luck won't come from doing the right thing. If the property is in a park..tel the Mgr.

If the property is by it'self...ask the homeowner if they know of the problem. Could be an elderly person in need of help and doesn't know what to do or that they even have the problem.

If you go to the door and all you get is a dbl barrel out a 3" gap in the door....run like H E double toothpicks and call the law....then the health Dept. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Raw sewage puddle in lawn #3  
It is likely a failed septic drainfield. Not really raw sewage, sort of filtered and partially treated. No turds, right.

It is not going to get better through the winter and absolutely can contaminate groundwater with various coliforms, viruses, etc. for miles around.

First tell the owner/manager. If that doesn't get immediate results in the form of a pumper truck or something, then it is off to the health department. Call and tell them about the inundation of raw sewage flowing around your ankles. You just need to get them out there but be warned, in my parts they will condemn the home as not being fit for habitation and kick the people out.

The family may be out on the street.

/ Raw sewage puddle in lawn #4  
John, that reminds me of a true story a rookie cop told about his older training officer. They got a call on a disturbance, and when they approached the house, the front door was open, but the screen door closed. One of them knocked on the door and immediately a big guy with shotgun appeared in the door and yelled, "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" The rookie said his older partner never missed a beat; just immediately replied, "How about a 10 minute head start?" And the guy with the shotgun got tickled, started laughing, set the shotgun down, and invited them in. The rookie said it scared him so bad he'd have never been able to think of a response. Needless to say, that rookie had a great deal of respect and admiration for his older partner.

/ Raw sewage puddle in lawn #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ....but then I immediately thought "no, as soon as I do that, I will be struck with some string of bad luck myself, I just know it." )</font>

Just maybe this IS the bad luck from something else you did /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can weigh the consequences of letting someone know that might check it out, or leave it alone and take your chances with a polluted well. I would at least have my own well checked in the meantime. Good luck with your decision.

/ Raw sewage puddle in lawn #6  
Bird,

Where you the rookie or the FTO? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Dan

/ Raw sewage puddle in lawn #7  
Dan, I was neither, but I'm afraid I'd have been just like that rookie. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Raw sewage puddle in lawn #8  
Hi Highbeam,

I live in Buckley also and we have allot of septic problems out here. I live off Mundyloss rd, is it dryer in your part of Buckley? I know of a lady that complained to the city about highway runoff, it effected her septic and they threatened to condemn her home. The small town politics is a joke in Buckley.

PJR

/ Raw sewage puddle in lawn #9  
That's great, you're close, I am closer to Bonney Lake off of 243th. Small world eh? I am on enough of a high sandy hill that septic works very well, no groundwater. The volcanoe and mudlfows in our area either left you with rocky till or with sand.

The health department's priority is public health. The public is at a health risk when sewage is surfacing and the good of the public takes a higher priority than the good of the homeowner.