ODOT / road problems

/ ODOT / road problems #1  

Moon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010HST R4's, Scag Wildcat ZTR, 61
Looking for some advise.

State Route 124 runs along the Ohio river, and is classified a Scenic Byway by the state of Ohio. This route experienced some slippage this past January (parts of the hillside and road slipped towards the Ohio River). The road was closed and a detour was established over a county road. ODOT (Ohio Division of Transportation) held a couple meeting to discuss the issues. It boiled down to money. Two roads were damaged last January, and the repair estimates for each were over 20 million. Instead ODOT suggested to upgrade the county road to a State Route, and only fix one of the roads in question. At the community discussion meetings I attended it was clear which road the majority of the community wanted fixed, SR 124. But it was equally clear that ODOT wanted to close SR124 permanently. ODOT decided to close 124 and survey crews and core drilling crews are now working and planning to upgrade the county road.
Barriers were put up blocking access to that portion of SR124, but folks living in the closed area were given access. They put up gates so that the motorists had to get out of there car and open the gate to enter that section of road. Gates were at each end of this closed section. Last week we needed to travel that section of road, but found locks on these gates. This is what Ohio calls a "Scenic Byway" route, and the section that is closed in one of the most beautiful of all. Now only a few residents can pass over this road, that is if they have the lock combination. The majority of the residents only have campers there, as it was a summertime campsite on the side of the road (by the river). Now we've heard that these folks (the ones who owned property) were paid money for their property, and told they can stay if they like, but as far as ODOT is concerned the road is closed. If a road is closed, should anyone be permitted to drive on it? We all paid taxes to build this road, why can just a few travel it?
Since this is classified a "Scenic Byway" we had hoped that would help ODOT decide to fix this section of road. The road ODOT decided to fix is in a lower flood plain and is the first to flood when the river waters rise. They are not going to work on the section that floods first, so even once they spend 20+ million on this road, it will still be the first to flood.
It has been a long drawn out process, but ODOT has done what they wanted without concern or care as to what the community wanted.
We've written our state representatives, governor, and ODOT, but most of the time do not get a reply. The reply I did get from the State Rep for our area said that ODOT is in charge of making the decision as to what road to repair and what one to close. The Governor has never replied, and ODOT replied at first, but now seem to ignore any correspondence.
It seems hopeless, but maybe you folks know of something else we could try. Primary goal is to get the closed section of SR 124 open. We've suggested opening it as a county road and limiting load levels (which we think caused the problem. Big 18 wheeler trucks hauling sand and gravel used to use this route daily).

Thanks!

/ ODOT / road problems #2  
Contact an attorney and get some friends on board with you. Then file suit to get their attention. Seems like that is the only time government pays attention to the small people......... when they carry a big stick and make lots of noise that gets the news media involved. It is going to be a uphill battle, but it might be worthwhile in the end.

/ ODOT / road problems
I guess with a group a lawyer might be possible ...I'll need to talk to one to see what we could expect. I don't know any, so I'd have to hunt one down, and out here in the sticks, a good one can be hard to find.

Media coverage and alot of noise is what I had in mind....but I'm not sure anything can be done to change the situation. I'm at the point wondering whether or not this is something I can change, if so try, if not have the wisdom to let it be. But that last choice it tough, and I'm hoping for input here to help with that decision.

/ ODOT / road problems #4  
Moon,
I had no idea that was the outcome of I-124, I just assumed they were fixing the road.That is or was a beautiful stretch of highway.A lot of people lost lots of their land because of this freak accident.
Keep us posted of what is going on and the outcome !!

/ ODOT / road problems #5  
I think the first thing I would do is try to get the other side of the story. If ODOT are so set on repairing a road that floods and closing a popular scenic route, there must be a reason. Often government departments aren't very good at communicating their reasons, largely because they don't have to. Of course, if they're no longer answering your letters, it will be tough to find out the reasons.

If you are successful in getting their side of the story, you might discover their reasons are very good, indeed. If you find out their reasons are illogical, then you could raise a fuss and a stink and get some action.

But, if all you have is your opinion based only on what you have observed about the situation, and without understanding the other side of the story, I think you'll have a hard row to hoe.

/ ODOT / road problems #6  
The Governor is probably playing with his new rare coin collection. Sounds like that's where the money went.

John

/ ODOT / road problems
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( is or was a beautiful stretch of highway. )</font>

Your right Catus, a very beautiful stretch of road.

I've since heard that it is a libility issue. They know the road / hillside is slipping. They cannot stop it. It will be a slow process, but to go in and cut away at the hillside to fix the road could cause more problems.
My SIL works at the WV DVM. She said lots of folks are commenting and complaining about the road being closed. It leads to a State Park and was a gorgous drive. It's a shame, but there does not appear to be much we can do about it.

/ ODOT / road problems #8  
<font color="blue"> </font><font color="blue" class="small">( It leads to a State Park )</font> </font>

Forked Run state park ????

/ ODOT / road problems
Yep that's the one. You can still get to it via county road 62 or route 681, but both are very hilly and curvey roads. Nothing like driving along the river.