I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!!

/ I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!! #1  

Unclebuck257

Platinum Member
Tractor
2005 Montana 5740C
For the past year it's really eaten at me that diesel fuel was running about 15-25 cents per gallon higher, most of the time, than gasoline. It costs less to make than gasoline and there was just no legitimate reason for it. I got into diesel F-250's years ago and one of the reasons was the cheaper diesel fuel. The power was nice, but my towing and hauling has dropped off quite a bit now, so most of the time I was riding empty and not pulling anything. Add to that those $80.00 oil changes, air filter costs, and general higher costs, and I could no longer justify to myself the overall extra cost for a diesel pickup.

Add to that the fact that diesel will get even higher, and a greater spread in price ( higher price) than gasoline due to new lower sulfer requirements by the EPA that go into affect in 06 & 07, and I just figured it was time to make the move back to gas.

The day before yesterday, I traded my 03 F-250, Lariat, 4X4, CC in on an 05 F-150, 4X4, CC, KR, with the 5.4 engine. The fuel mileage will be about the same, 15-16 mpg city, ( no idea on the highway mileage yet) but the general maintainance will be cheaper and the fuel will be cheaper too.

I guess I just had enough and could no longer justify the additional diesel costs to myself. I normally only keep a truck for 2 years before trading anyway, but I was surprised to learn that a diesel is affected by the same "over 50,000 mile" price drop that a gasoline engine is too.

This F-150 CC, 4X4, KR, is only one inch narrower on the inside, so I really don't notice that at all with the bucket seats, but the short 5 1/2 ft bed was something that concerned me. The F-150 bed itself is only 9 tenths of an inch narrower than my F-250 SB was, so that's no problem. I believe I've got that bed length thing figured out too, so I figure it'll be just fine. We'll see, but at least those higher than gas diesel prices won't get me po'd every trip to the pumps now.

/ I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!! #2  
On-road diesel is lower (12-15 cents per gallon) than gas now in my area!
Ouch

/ I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!!
gmsssi,

Yeah, it's done that here too over the past year, and it lasted for about 4-5 days and then went right back up to being higher than gasoline again. I kept waiting for it to stay lower but it never would and never did. I'm not worried, it'll go back up again higher than gas. I paid 2.37.9 a gallon for diesel last week and gas was at $2.25 per gallon then. Now both have gone up higher per gallon here too, but gas is still cheaper.

Additionally, I was REALLY right side up in that F-250, as I usually am in my vehicles and bought the F-150 with all the discounts and incentive money at a price that was VERY good. I saved about $250.00 per month in the payment, and I can say that I feel good about what I did. There's a lot to be said for " feeling good" too!!

/ I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!! #4  
i think you made a wise choice: especially if the fuel mileage is about the same: unless you do all your own maintenance, oil changes, etc, a gas burner seems like the better alternative. one friend of mine thats in the logging business went back to gas pick-ups several years ago, because he said he was losing money, higher cost of the diesel pick-up, and not that much diffence when he traded it in.
heehaw

/ I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!! #5  
I'm glad for you and my post was really a lame attempt at humor! I failed miserably...... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I do know it's been higher for a long time and just really noticed the lower pricing the last week or so. I'm sure your right it will rebound higher as soon as I finish typing this.......

/ I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!! #6  
this morning diesel is 272.9 and gas 241.9 When does it end? I read this morning that 600 or so owner operators of tractor trailers, local dump haulers and such staged a protest in Miami Florida. It is going to take the whole country to shut down before someone wakes up.

/ I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!! #7  
High pricing is horrible ... shortages are mindblowing !!!
I had 25 tons of gravel delivered yesterday, complete with $10 fuel surcharge. The driver was complaining about the prices but was dumfounded to find his usual 1000 gal diesel delivery to his ranch/truck yard was only 500 gal this time ... his (longtime) supplier said the he was lucky to get that much.
Un-freaking believable /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!! #8  
I predict 2.75 by the beginning of December.

I am re-thinking my oil habits. Cars, tractors, farm equipment, etc. etc.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!! #9  
I looked at this concept. I have a 0'1 Ram/Cummins 4x4, auto with 4.11 gears. My wife has a '04 Ram-1500 with the 4.7/5-spd auto, quad cab 2wd 3.55 gears. Last Christmas, I did two identical trips to/from SoCal. I used my truck; 18.1mpg. I used her truck the week after(rides nicer). 18mpg. So, my 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel with low gears matches a 1/2 ton 4x2 with high gears. A nice apples to oranges comparison.

Based on my previous two 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, I would estimate 12-13mpg on that trip(did same trip twice in my '89 F250 4x4 351ci/manual). Even with a new 3/4 ton 4x4 gasser, I would not expect much better mileage.

My wifes truck is cheaper to operate for day to day stuff. The second we go to work though, my heavier/lowered geared, 4x4 is a better option, even with the joke of recent diesel prices.

Your hauling has dropped off, so it makes sense for you. To make the change to a gas 3/4 ton for me though, I would not benefit.

/ I had ENOUGH of higher diesel prices!! #10  
I predict 2.75 by the beginning of December
//

Too late it is above that some places in the USA now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Saw some images of gas price signs on the net today....
Ben