Inexpensive way to water lawn?

/ Inexpensive way to water lawn? #1  

dlabrie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I have a shallow well (15' +/-) that isn't being used. I would like to use it to water lawns and gardens in the summer. What would be an inexpensive way to pump water to a sprinkler without setting up a complete well/pump system?

/ Inexpensive way to water lawn? #2  
Buy a submersible sump pump and hook it to your sprinkler. The greater the HP of the pump the greater the pressure.

paul

/ Inexpensive way to water lawn? #3  
Are you talking about something to hook to a hose, or are you going to do it right and put in a sprinkler system? Most sprinkler controllers have a circuit to start a pump. You don't need a pressure tank. The pump starts momemtarily before the zone valve opens and shuts off when the cycle is done. Depending on where you are and how comfortable you are with tackling a project like this, your local irrigation supply house would be a great place to start. John Deere Landscapes carries all the major brands and sells to both contractors and Joe Homeowner. Ewing Irrigation has offices throughout the Southwest and Midwest. Either one will sell you the pump, a proper screen and filter set up and help you layout your sprinkler system and choose the right equipment for what the pros call a "dirty" system. It is not as expensive as you might think. I just did an acre of lawn for around $2,000 including trencher rental.

/ Inexpensive way to water lawn? #4  
I also have a shallow well about the same size. A shallow well pump emptied it in less than 35 minutes with one hose wide open. Not much PSI either.
Depending how fast your recovery is, that is not as much water as you may think when it comes to lawn watering.
Check it out before you spend a "bunch of bucks".
Good luck, may your well never run dry.

/ Inexpensive way to water lawn?
The well has plenty of water. I have a pool that is lower than the well and I run a 1" gravity feed line to it. I have had it run for days at a time.

I just want something simple to hook up to a garden hose to water around the house and to wash the cars. I sure don't want to put in an irrigation system

I will have to look up submersible pumps. Any Idea what hp would run one or 2 sprinklers through 100' of hose?

Thanks.

/ Inexpensive way to water lawn? #6  
Just a simple jet pump should do the job. Surface mount, take it in in the winter. Something like shown.

web page

Used one similar for years to water from a pond. Just drained the system for the winter.

Egon

/ Inexpensive way to water lawn?
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Just a simple jet pump should do the job. Surface mount, take it in in the winter. Something like shown.

<font color="black">
That is just what I had in mind. So I could go from the well, to this pump, directly to a hose with no tanks, pressure valves etc.?

Would this work? Northern tool </font>

/ Inexpensive way to water lawn? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What would be an inexpensive way to pump water to a sprinkler without setting up a complete well/pump system? )</font>

I understand wanting to water the garden, but I get plenty of seat time without watering the lawn. With around 7 or so acres that need cut, I kinda like a break sometimes. I get approx. 150 hours a year mowing on average between my place and two others..................(somewhat lazy)........chim

/ Inexpensive way to water lawn? #9  
you will spend about the same money for a shallow well pump as you will a submersible, and the submersible will use less electricity per gal of water: give more gal per min, if the well can supply the water, plus give far less trouble, never any need to prime the pump and all that.
heehaw