Lawn renovation ideas needed???

/ Lawn renovation ideas needed??? #1  

DrDan

Gold Member
Tractor
G1800 & BX2200
My yard is a dang mess. Full of ruts, swales and dips. In fact the turf is kinda crappy too with lots of different varieties of grass (I keep the broadleafs sprayed). I am having a 30' X 80' Morton building put up in part of the yard. So... There is going to be lots of construction going on and more ruts.

What I was considering is replacing the whole yard. I want to use killer to kill off all existing species, then go in a rototill the whole yard 1.5 acres; smooth it all out with scape rake and reseed with Kentucky Bluegrass.

Here's my questions: What the heck can you use to kill it all? Roundup will do it but it will also kill the pocket book! Is there a cheaper industrial version? I'm sure the state does not use Roundup to spray roadsides.

Next, does the sod need to be totally removed to do a good job of seedbed preparation? Boy I hope not. That be a job I couldn't handle. How deep should one till? Once it was all tilled with sod not removed could the scape rake get the old vegetation out? I hate manual labor (in a wheelchair) so it would have to be from the BX seat if I gonna do it.

Let me have your opinions, especially from anyone who has done this before.

Thanks,

Dr Dan

/ Lawn renovation ideas needed??? #2  
If I was doing the job, I would not spray the yard, some people do, but I would mow it real short, than till it up. The reason is that the soil gets packed down by mowing, driving over it and etc.. The more degradeable material you put in the soil the more plyable it will be, breathe that is. Once tilled real well, at least two to three times, I would used a drag to level out the soil. To seed, you have two choices, one is to rent a 3pt seeder and seed and fertilizer into the ground. Best but most expensive. The other choice is to drag to put grooves into the soil, broadcast the seed and such and then drag cross grain to cover the seed. works very well. How much sun does the yard get? Lots of sun then bluegrass is fine, if shady, then you need to do determine what grows well in your area in the shade, A lot of landscaping places sell blends made for a certain area or location. May work better than just bluegrass.

Dan L

/ Lawn renovation ideas needed??? #3  
Dr. Dan,

My two cents:

I wouldn't remove the sod. I'd plow it into the existing soil using your Rototiller or a Box Blade. I don't know about the Rototiller, but a Box Blade (or Box Scraper) should help you to get rid of the ruts, dips and swales. It won't look perfect, at first, but it will enable you to plant new seed, get it well started, and then treat it for weeds later. In addition, I'd only do a small section at a time. This is a lot of work.

To ensure a year round good lawn, I wouldn't use a single species of grass such as Kentucky Bluegrass, I'd use a mixture. Each species has its own benefits. Some are more drought resistant, some more heat and traffic resistant, and some more disease resistant. Go to a local nursery that has some expertise in this, and they will be able to tell you the ideal mixture for your area.

Good luck!

Buck

/ Lawn renovation ideas needed??? #4  
Dr Dan,

I'm sort of in the middle of doing a similiar thing right now. I am putting in original lawn though. We just moved in last October so I've been busy. A large area that I want to be lawn was sort of "wild grass" pasture. I ended up making two passes over the whole thing with my rototiller. Then I pulled a drag harrows over it. It actually did a pretty good job, plus I get to keep the grass etc as a natural compost. I am going to spread a little additional topsoil on it, but only because my topsoil isn't very thick. You may have a lot more.

I'm going to be seeding probably next week and looking forward to finally having some <font color=green>green</font color=green> around the place!!!!

Good luck,
Kevin

/ Lawn renovation ideas needed??? #5  
Do you really want to spread dangersous chemicals over your entire yard?? Do you kids, pets or a well to worry about polluting? Most chemicals don't just kill the plants you know...

Try the other suggestions, cut if short, rototill it in and start all over, but don't turn your property into a chemical dumping ground....

/ Lawn renovation ideas needed???
I just have seen it done several times by a local nursery. They kill it all first and then come back in a week or so and till it up. Roundup has no residual. Breaks down fast.

Dr Dan

/ Lawn renovation ideas needed??? #7  
Hi Dr Dan

I lawned 2 very weedy acres by spraying with Roundup (Glyphosate 360g/L) much cheaper if bought in bulk, and less toxic than salt, And it kills everything. Waited 2 weeks and then I rotary hoed (tilled) to about 6" and then dragged a 4" harrow over it, followed by some home-made levelling bars that flattened the surface. I then waited a week because over here (Australia) a lot of weed seeds lay dormant in the soil until it is cultivated and then they germinate. so I spray again just to be sure. I then dragged the harrow across again, sowed the seed and went over once more with my levelling bars to cover the seed, applied plenty of water and I must say I'm pretty pleased with the result, akin to a golf course fairway, Of course a lot of variables apply depending on location etc. but that's how I did it!

Regards

Chris

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ChrisR on 08/28/01 06:39 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Thanks Chris,

That sounds quite reasonable. I was going to buy a landscape rake to do it, but it sounds like what I need is a drag and spike tooth harrow. That would be cheaper. I have a box blade for the heavy leveling. Maybe I don't need a landscape rake. The darn tiller is expensive enough.

Thanks again,

Dr Dan

/ Lawn renovation ideas needed??? #9  
I'd plow and disc your property then drag it, then seed it
with Kentucky 31 a mix you can buy at TSC. I would not spend a dime on Round Up you'll be better off turning the whatever's growing there now under. I'd bet you can get one of the local farmers to plow and disc your yard much cheaper than buying any one time use implement plus they'll likely step on your yard with a 80+ hp tractor with a 4 to 10 bottom plow and large disk and be done before you get to TSC and back with the seed. Your yard will be nearly graded after it been disked a couple times too. You may not need to drag it you'll know as soon as they finish with the disk. Plan to drag it though. Then rent a 3pt funnel seeder and go to it. Cross dragging as mentioned above is the best, but if you don't, don't worry the grass will come up. Note: if you decide not to cross drag consider how dry it is, if it's dry drag it to cover the seed. Plan on overseeding for the next few years, your yard will look great. Been there done that, but not in a wheelchair, you are amazing. ric

:D :D Hell I not amazing, I got no other choice - what I can't get the girlfriend to help mw with I have to do myself - I just have to do it a little slower. After 18 years in a chair ya get used to it. I believe they call it "adaptation"! What I can't stand is the amount of people who "walk" into my office and tell me they are on disability. {{Sometimes I want to ask, mentally?}} Oh well it takes all kinds in this world. I'm just glad to have the money to buy power tools that help with the tasks at hand.

Dr Dan