How do you keep trespassers off of your property??

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #11  
(just so they don't bring their guns too, and say "hey, it says its a firing range!" )
//
If I hear shooting on my property, I immediately call the game warden. He has more power here than the county sherriff in cases like these. Remember property owners must give permission to hunt on private property in KY.

One time a group of 4 WD got a vehicle stuck on my place, I found the vehicle later that day. I cabled the vehicle to a large tree with a 3/4 " steel rope. And then called the sherriff and said I have an abandoned / tresspassing vehicle on my property. He had it towed off to impound. Cost over $500 for towing and storage fees /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To top it off the owners came by the next day looking for the truck and I told them it had been towed by the sherriffs dept. They got a bit rowdy and were drunk, but did not like the looks of the 20GA leaned up on the porch /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I called the sherriff gave vehicle descriptions and lic #'s and he picked up a couple of DUI's down the road about 5 miles from my house. More scum caught /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Have not seen them back either /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All my actions were fully legal and somewhat fun.

Ben

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property??
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I guess the part I'm having a hard time with is me being considered "mean" or wanting to do something illegal. It's not like I've mentioned wanting to hurt anyone. I feel that I only need to make the trouble not worth the reward for the trespassers. I'm thinking if it's not worth the trouble (they have to replace their tires) to break in and tear up things, it won't be worth their "reward" of having a good time destroying my property. I'd say that 100% of my damage has been out of plain vandalism and theft. I'm certain that I'm not dealing with people who don't know exactly what they are doing.

Heck, if I really wanted to be mean, I could without a problem. I won't mention anything that I've thought of that may be considered "mean" or illegal. That is not my goal. I am not looking for revenge, just to have my property respected as the people tearing up my place would like their own property respected. Nothing more, nothing less.

I like the idea of some sort of game camera that can run on batteries, but I am afraid that if the trespassers can find it they will obvioulsy steal it. Also, I've toyed with the idea of just making a really strong gate. However, I've been told that if I did that and some idiot tried to ram it with his truck and got hurt, I could be liable for that as well. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What the heck is up with our laws anyway?!

Perhaps I should just put up a couple of signs that state "No Trespassing" and that "Severe tire damage will occur" along with another gate. If they continue to trespass anyway, then put my rebar in. Hey, the rebar would only be there until I finish my concrete work. Then it will be part of the concrete, right?! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif How could it be illegal to start building something on your own property? If someone tore down my gate, disobeyed my signs, and drove through what I was starting to build, how can I help that? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm definitely still open to suggestions that will make my criminal visitors move on to other pastures. Thanks!

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yes they could chainsaw it.. but.. put some nails, staples, or wrap in bob-wire should stop that. So.. unless you have the FEL.. or bulldozer.. your not passing this way )</font>

One idiot out my way got his truck stuck BIG time in a deep moras of puddle... (they were trespassing on TVA land)

They asked me to help drag them out with my backhoe, I said I'd do it for a price.

They got angry & stammered away.

Next day, they brought a dump truck with trailer and their OWN industrial backhoe and did it themselves.

You never know what these dolt brains will do to get to their goal.

If they put 10% of this, what I like to call "klunk mentality" to something productive... my gosh, they'd probably be able to BUY all this TVA land & do it all legally.

I feel for you with your issues.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #14  
Sorry to hear this, but unfortunately an all too common issue for alot of us.

The Forest Service has same types of issues. Have you seen any of their gates?

The only problem is if the gate works, then usually the same jerks will make a way around it. Earth berms are usually beside the gates in these instances, along with large posts, ditches, downed trees, etc.

Unfortunately most of us don't operate with the same type of budget.

I am considering having one of the same types of gates built. It is simple - Two large dia. steel posts, firmly anchored and filled with concret, one large dia. crossbar, with the lock protected by a steel box allowing only a small hand with a key entry. Not sure what it would cost to build, but probably worth it. The one I saw could be taken down maybe with a large dozer - but nothing short.

It also helps to have the gate in an area they can not get leverage to pull or push - such as a curve or hill.

No trespassing signs put up with a ladder don't come down too easily either. "No Trespassing" welded/etched into the steel crossbar on the gate will not easily be removed.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #15  
On the property we hunted in the Everglades, all the cattle gates had 12-15" spikes welded to them. This kept anyone from pushing the gate with their vehicle. some of the posts were also 10" pipe partially filled with concrete with another smaller section of pipe welded to the lock side that the chain would go through, this way you could lock it by reaching inside the pipe and it would be difficult to just cut the lock. Its a shame, you just have to be creative and hope they give up. The trail cam is a great idea, but if I were in their shoos and saw a flash, you'd bet I'd find it and either take the evidence or destroy it. Another point to think about is, if you stop them at this entrance, will they just create another??
Too bad their not poaching, thats serious stuff, the game commision would stake it out for you.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #16  
"Also, I've toyed with the idea of just making a really strong gate. However, I've been told that if I did that and some idiot tried to ram it with his truck and got hurt, I could be liable for that as well."

Did you hear this from an accurate source?

Guess you could always put a STOP sign up in front of your gate /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, I'm not sure if pics from a game cam would hold up in court. The ones I have seen are somewhat fuzzy and distance is limited. I'm sure there are better quality, higher priced models out there. I too have considered game cam but was afraid they would be stolen or damaged.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #17  
Dargo,

I had similar problems but not as bad. I'm suspect there might be some trespassing during hunting season on my eastern property line. I'll be walking over there when the weather gets cooler and post signs again.

To time when these creatures are on the land, get the game timer. I did and it worked. I hid it off the road tied to a tree. It was very hard to see. I could tell when people came into the property and it was consistent in my case. The trespassers might be consistent when they are on your land as well.

My problem was with a neighbor. The main problem has moved away.

The timer allows you to find out when they are there and then you can be there. Mine ended up freezing in some cold temps though. But it did what I needed it to do. I did not bother with one with a camera though in your case it might help. Just make sure the flash is turned off or taped over.

Later,
Dan

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #18  
How bout finding someone to live on the property in a small trailer. Swap free rent for overseeing the place.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #19  
Another idea-Any cattle farmers in the area? Once you figure out when the offenders appear you could corrdinate to have the farmer put a bull on your grass for free grazing. That should stop everything, including a small dozer.

Ps - I got this idea because I used to be a die-hard trout fisherman. Many farmers would put bulls on the stream banks to keep fisherman like me out (even though fishing in a stream is 100% legal in my state). Let me tell you it works!

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #20  
How about telling the DEA that some tresspassers are raising pot on your property or running a meth lab ? As far as you know /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben