How do you keep trespassers off of your property??

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #51  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you really hurt someone or their vehicle, there is a very good chance they will then hunt you (or your family) down for payback - with or without the law. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

)</font>

Only Rednecks would do that. Put up "Under Construction" signs to CYA

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #52  
You know I have been going through this for the last year with the new place my wife and I have. They tear down the NTP signs and tear up the place with their bikes, quads and 4 wheelers. We have been diligent about talking to the adjoing property owners and working with the sheriff department and DNR. Things are finally slowing down and a couple of bikers lost their bikes in March and just got them back along with paying $1000.00 in fines each. You know I never could understand the sign thing. Like I said in an earlier post....if you don't own it and don't have permission from the owner....then you don't belong on it.

Anyway...hang in there. I have been pretty darn ticked off over the last year but keeping my temper in check and working with the neighbors and authorities seems to be getting things better.

Good luck

Bob

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #53  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( NO WAY!!!... They are not innocent if they are walking on property that does not belong to them and they don't have permission from the ower. PERIOD!. )</font>

This is exactly what I am saying....this type of advice is BAD...PERIOD! Check your state laws before you go off maiming and killing people to protect your dirt. In Nevada, it is state law that you may enter upon ANY property WITHOUT PERMISSION as long as it is not marked as 'No Trespassing" (hence the red fence posts along with signs). 98% of our state is "Open Range" and has its own set of headaches and laws regarding that. example...if I don't want YOUR cows on my property eating my vegitation....I have to put up a fence...not you. Luckily, most ranchers keep their cows on their own property...but the Indian tribes around here do not.

And by "innocent" I mean someone who is tooling along in their ATV and crosses some "magic" line in the dirt that goes from public to private, and there are no signs, fences, gates..whatever. Now all of a sudden he finds himself impalled on your rebar. Its not the ATV rider that is going to loose his shirt in this case. What about a hunter who chases his prey onto your property and it was not posted because someone stole the signs....he would not be held liable if you injured him for being on your property. There is almost no escape these days from other peoples stupidity. Agrivating...but true.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #54  
NEVADA!!!...cool your jets....I am in no way proposing hurting anyone.....read my other post...

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #55  
I've stated what I would do......and I might add, being that this is a road that is seldom or never used by Dargo, that dropping some trees across the 'road' or path would maybe discourage them as well. Along the same idea as digging the deep ditches.
I too, wouldn't string the wire, etc or go more than the tire-deflation method of buried 'nail boards'. Cameras might work for daytime (haven't heard if this is nighttime or daytime usage), but the flash at night would mean a loss of a camera, IMO.
I'd be suspicious of a person who's job it is to keep an eye out, and he isn't doing it too well. Then again, he may not be paid too much to do that either.
It's unfortunate that someone has to worry like this about their property. Seems our system makes it 'their liability' regardless which way they go - allow or protect - either way liable for the idiots who don't respect ones' property.
Confronting them may result in what happened to the several hunters on their own property who were shot and killed by the trespasser last fall in Wisconsin. He meant to leave no one standing when he was through.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #56  
When we bought our place (about 200 ac, very remote) the first thing my wife and I did was to get to know several of the neighbors. It turned out that the old guy just up the road was part of the family that previously owned the land. He had hunted it for most of his 70 or so years. When I told him that I would gladly give him permission to continue to hunt the place in exchange for his keeping an eye on it for me, I thought he was going to cry. He and his family have now become very good friends (he recently GAVE me his old barn). His family has been in the area for several generations. All of the locals know and respect him, and I have had very little trouble with trespassing because everyone knows that he is often there and armed!

It also didn't hurt that one day when I was there working, I heard a group of 4 wheelers heading down the road to the far end of the place. I quickly got in my truck, blocked the road (the only access), strapped on my Super Redhawk, a machete, and was standing by the truck holding a 30.06 when they came back down the road! I have never seen a more frightened group of teens in my life. I told them that they were on posted private property, and I would appreciate them staying off of it. One of the kids got up the gumption to ask me where the property lines to his aunt's place were. I found out that his aunt had given him permission to ride on the road (common use access road) and on her place. So I aplogized to them all for scaring them, pointed out where the property lines were and what was her part, and asked them to please be respectful and not tear stuff up when they were there. I unblocked the road for them to leave. They were MOST relieved! And they have NEVER been back to my knowledge.

I guess the point is, there is no better way in my experience for non-resident property owners to control trespassing than to enlist the aid of responsible neighbors and locals. Find some way to help them out in return. Plus, there's just a ton of intangible (and tangible) benefits of having good relationships with good neighbors. You might not stop it entirely, but at least you've got a better chance of reducing damage, and knowing who caused it if any occurs.

Good luck.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #57  
LOL @ the MIL setting at the gate and the big explosive holes with clothing strung in the treas lol. Priceless.

I have little to add of worth but could ocme up with a good one regarding the MIL, pewrhaps post a photo of her on the gate, stating mad PMS MIL behind gate do not enter or feed this dangerous creature /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol

as far as trash & tearing up, the law rought is best, illigal dunping is a big federal thing private or public lands. refregerant is a big no-no to dumping. Next would be to state that you were there someone came in & was firing what you belive to be "fully automatic" guns. This is then ATF federal case and will be watched as such.

MarkM /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property??
Well, I think my next move is going to be the ditch and reinforced gate. If that doesn't work, it may cost me some money, but I now have three other property owners who are willing to go in on hiring an actual security company to patrol the property on weekends and one or two varying days during the week.

If I have to spend the money on professional security, there will be no "warnings". The properties will be well posted and the first offense will result in prosecution by the security firm. I think this may be the only answer to break some of the "locals". I forgot to mention that I've caught several people in the last 6 or 8 months and had a very similar thing happen. The trespassers told me that they had been hunting this land for 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, etc. I have always asked the same thing; that is "how long did you own the land?"

I always got a blank stare and a reply of something like "I ain't ever owned it." I then ask who they got permission from. Every time I've also gotten a similar answer. That is varying renditions of not ever exactly having permission.

Basically, the former owner owned several thousand acres and was almost never present. That resulted in a group (I don't know how large) of guys who have basically been trespassing for many years. The real issue is that I've been very nice and actually allowed the people to finish their hunt that day, but told them that I'm sorry, but there will be no hunting or trespassing allowed in the future. Surprisingly, rather than thanking me for not throwing them off immediately, I've been met with comments such as "I ain't gonna quit hunting here." That is when I apologized, but told them that if they insisted on that attitude, I would be left with no choice but to prosecute.

So, I feel that I've been a "nice guy" about it, but that has not worked. This is why I commented that I'm certain that my trespassers know quite well that they do not have permission and that they are trespassing. As I said, I'll try this one last time at posting the land all over again, and make it difficult to get in. If they don't get the idea, they will meet the "rent a cops" who will have orders in their contract that they have to prosecute each offense. I hate to be so hard, but I feel that I've been pushed about all I'm willing to be pushed.

My only reservations so far is that the guys I've seen from the private security force seem to be guys one step above being a thug. They all seem to want to brag about trespassers in the past who have wanted to "get rough" with them. We will have an attorney look over the contract with the security crew, but I don't think us property owners will be liable if some rough business breaks out since we will have only specified that we want all trespassers prosecuted.

Too brutal? If so, what else can I do after these people are knowingly violating the law and the wishes of the property owners? Thanks for the suggestions so far. And, yes, I do know what is suggestions that are made tongue in cheek. The only real bad situation will be if someone is trespassing and hunting when any of my 5 kids are there enjoying our property and fire gun shots towards my kids. That is a situation I am really trying to prevent at all costs, except I'm not going to be kept away from my own land to use.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #59  
KNowing more about the background now, I had a similar experience when I bought my land. Many of the neighbors had used it as their prime deer and racoon hunting ground.

I told all of them, as well as hung signs, that there would be Hunting allowed with Permission. I have had very few ask if they could hunt, and have had no one hunt without asking. I just said to them that I wanted to know when they were going to be there, and a few I told that I would be there to hunt at that time.

You may be past that now. Also, you have the ATV problem, which I didn't have. People walked to their hunting place at that time, contrary to the ATV rides now.

Hope you can find a way to enjoy your property.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #60  
</font><font color="class=small">( "I ain't gonna quit hunting here." </font><font color="class=small">

This should have been your chance to make a point. Right when they opened their mouth about not quitting hunting there. You should have said "It looks like your day of hunting here is over, NOW GET OFF MY PROPERTY" One other thing I should mention here. If you plan on running into armed people again on your property. I suggest you start packing a piece and be prepared to stand your ground. I know I would. These idiots feel that they walked over you that day because you let them finish their day of hunting there.