How do you keep trespassers off of your property??

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
Okay, I'm curious as to other peoples methods on how to keep trespassers off of your property. I have roughly a couple hundred acres of land that is 20 miles from where I live. It is in a rural area that is about 50% wooded with rolling hills, steep hills, and about 8 or 10 lakes. I'm constantly getting people driving 4X4's on my property and tearing up things in general. I put out "No Trespassing" signs, and most have been stolen now. I've blocked drives, and they have torn down gates. What would you suggest??

Right now I'm a little ticked because I just got back and found that my last gate I put up has been destroyed and the last "No Trespassing" sign I put up has been stolen. These signs are regular road sign type signs, not the cheapo plastic type. Also, dozens of trees I've planted have been run over and killed, and I have a lovely old refrigerator as my latest gift. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I'm thinking that I should cut me a dozen or so 24" pieces of 1/2" rebar. Drive them in the ground in the tire track marks where these trucks have been going, but leave about 4" or 5" sticking up. Then take my cordless grinder and grind them to a point on top. After that, block the entrance one more time and put up another "No Trespassing" sign. That way I would only catch someone who has torn my gate down and is knowingly trespassing. I don't use that entrance at all, and I've blocked it off time after time after time. I'll never drive into my property there or mow there or even walk there. This particular spot is only an old entrance that I've tried to get rid of. I use a difference entrance that is mostly hidden.

I've actually used my tractor and dug a ditch across the entrance. They filled it in. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have a guy trying to watch the property as much as he can, but he watches over 6000 acres on a part time basis. He can't watch my property full time. There is no residence within a few miles of my place.

Suggestions?

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #2  
I would find it hard to resist getting ugly.......Check with the local police dept and find out what the rules are for trespassing, then do as you mentioned with the rebar, behind a gate. In most places I have heard of the rule is that you must be able to see a posted sign from anywhere on the road. Basicly, if you are looking at one, you should be able to look in either dirrection and see another. Just to cover your butt, I woud also take pictures of your completed gate and signs as proof that they were there before the intruder entered your property. The problem nowadays is they have more rights than you, I would just check the law then stay within it. There will more than likely be a confrontation and retaliation for it. Just be prepared.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #3  
Sorry to hear about the problem.
First, I would try to pin down the time the 'abusers' and 'trespassers' are using the 'roads', such as daytime vs night, weekdays vs weekends, etc. Then I would make it a point to be there if there is a specific time (I'd suspect neighbors, but obviously don't know). I would contact the local gendarmes and/or the sherriff's office to determine my best and legal course of action.

If me, I would take a 2x4, whatever length (or combination of) to span the 'drive', and pound spikes the full length through the 1½" thickness, and imbed those in the ground carefully to not look conspicuous across the path. Won't go far on flat tires. Place them so the offending vehicles used to bring the 'toys' are also getting the flats. This can bring about some retaliation, which one must weigh the outcome and trouble.

Some people don't like to lose their playground, and also don't want to have to pay for it themselves.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #4  
<font color="red">PRE-EMPTIVE MODERATOR WARNING </font>

Discussions on this topic tend to quickly degrade & violate our family freindly policies. Please keep it clean & don't recommend anything illegal, immoral, or just plain mean.

<font color="red">END WARNING </font>

Unfortunately for Dargo (and other's in similar situations) there is no substitute for "face time" - human beings keeping an eye on the place. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif While they likely have bigger fish to fry, your local law enforcement should be your first resource.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #5  
Perhaps with the refriderator as a "gift" then dumping and EPA laws come into effect. Might have more leverage there than with traditional no tresspassing laws.

Personally as far as damaging tresspassers go, I think the survivors should be prosecuted. Didn't they know they were driving thru a firing range ?

Ben

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #6  
You have my sympathy. I only have 20A and it has been a problem just keeping tp'ers off and away from my little 3/4A pond. I had some heavy treadplate with 4" bolts welded that I sharpened but never put them out. My vehicular traffic has been 4 wheelers. I drove several heavy angle irons into the trail and spray painted them <font color="yellow"> bright yellow </font> . Found one that had been hit and bent at 45 deg. Did not see any 4 wheeler tracks for several months. One problem I see with your isolated location is if you use your re-bar method they may just set the place on fire or someother vandalism.

One of these remote hunting cameras might get you a tag number or an image someone may recognize.

My local game warden staked out my place for a couple of days but we finally caught them with my wireless TV camera. That is not an option for you because of location.

Not much help but I just wanted to let you know that I do wish you success in catching the "trash" and taking them to court.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #7  
Spike sticks are a nice thing, but watch the liability. You may want to buy one of those signs that says "exit only, proceeding beyond this point will result in severe tire damage" Now you might want to take a picture of that sign posted. If it got covered up with mud after the photo then I would think you couldn't be liable for that? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #8  
How about a deer trail camera to snap photos of license plate numbers. Once the people are identifed the rest should be easy, involve the sheriff and maybe hire an attorney so send the offenders a letter of warning of potential law suits for property damage, etc.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #9  
Good (?) idea, and maybe the "Firing Range" signs should go up alongside the No Trespassing signs. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

(just so they don't bring their guns too, and say "hey, it says its a firing range!" )

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #10  
"found that my last gate I put up has been destroyed "

I've always wanted to make a gate w/ big logs.. the ends would be 2 logs buried.. making a big "X".. then a bigger log sits across the road seated in the "X"'s. But here's the catch.. logs big enough so that only a tractor w/ FEL can open it.

Yes they could chainsaw it.. but.. put some nails, staples, or wrap in bob-wire should stop that. So.. unless you have the FEL.. or bulldozer.. your not passing this way.