Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!! #1  

getut

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20HST
I was thinking about a couple of things that could be mandated that would save big time.

School kids should ride busses. Period. Especially teenagers in high school. Unless a child is approved to come to school from an area where no school bus from that school goes by their house. If they miss the bus, their parents can take them, but it must be with a note and a limit to the number of times it can happen. The greenies usually push mass transit, but the sad fact is that mass transit is not an option for 90% or better of the nation. School is NOT one of those places. It has probably the oldest mass transit system in existence... EVERYWHERE.

Large companies in rural areas where there is no mass transit that are truly concious of this should aid employees in finding car pooling buddies. Post a map board where employees can put dots with their employee numbers or other identifying information. They can then request information about dots close to them. Maybe even provide small shift bonuses for all participants of a carpool group. Aid the effort by adjusting work times to be the same for workers who live in a specific small area to help facilitate their car pooling.

/ Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!! #2  
<font color="blue"> ( School kids should ride busses. Period. Especially teenagers in high school. ) </font>

When a high school kid plays a sport and there is no bus to bring them home, there is no savings in having them ride the bus for the parents then have to drive to the school and back to pick them up.

Proeote telecommuting. Companies should start offering employees that have the type of jobs that can be done from home to do so, even if it is only 1 day a week.

/ Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!! #3  
Robert, I don't know how they do it other places, but . . . last year my grandson was riding the school bus. They bus rides were "free" when I was a kid, but not now. He had to pay $150 to ride the bus for the year. And of course since he's a football player, I frequently went to pick him up in the evenings. Now this year, he has his drivers license and drives his little S-10 pickup to school. He had to pay $150 for the parking permit to park in the school parking lot. Of course that's just to park wherever he can find a parking space in a particular area of the lot. Some of the schools in the area are now letting the students "reserve" a particular parking spot for an extra fee. In other words, the school is getting too much money from student parking to give that up and encourage other means of transportation.

/ Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!!
Wow Bird.. I had no idea.
I can PARTIALLY see a school system strapped for cash asking for some help with bussing costs but I still see even that as not properly budgeting their funds that are already taxed from the people.

Now the parking thing is absolutely infuriating. There is not even a slight justification for that. Charging for something that costs them no money at all just to create an artificial income source when they should be better handling the funds they do have. If they are short on funds kick the kids out who are the repeat offenders / major troublemakers / gang members. Concentrate on the kids who want to learn. The troublemakers can then be the ones who have to pay for their education when they are in their 30's and start to mellow out and see that they really do need at least their GED.

/ Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!! #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( charging for something that costs them no money at all )</font>

Um...maintenance of the parking lot, let alone buying the land for the lot in the first place?

All three TV stations here ran stories when schools started about what the cost of fuel for the busses was doing to their budgets, guess what this latest spike is going to do.

/ Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!! #6  
Um...maintenance of the parking lot, let alone buying the land for the lot in the first place?
//

We have the same thing on the school house don't we ?
Just another way to raise money.
Ben

/ Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!! #7  
Some suggestions...

Some people actually need a truck, Probably 1/3 of the truck owners do no need a truck, it is just cool.....

And the Hummers, just pure waste...but cool....

Same with the big guzzler SUV's. Probably only 10% of the owners actually need the 4wd and size/power combo. A mini van getting twice the mileage would fill in most owners needs. Again it is just cool.....

A dodge SW with a guzzlin Hemi...Just cool, no other real use...

Cool seems to be wasteful and expensive....

Ben

/ Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!! #8  
<font color="blue">( The parent has to only make one trip to the school instead of two. Looks like a 50% savings on that aspect alone. And 100% if the child can ride the bus both ways. ) </font>

Uh, the teenager could DRIVE to school and only make 1 trip as well. No savings other than it would save MY time.

/ Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!! #9  
Yes the teenager could drive to school on days that afterschool athletics or somesuch makes it necessary. But ride the bus on days that no afterschool stuff is scheduled.

Of course there is the status thing of driving to school or being taken and not riding the bus with all that poor trash ! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If we all lived with just what we needed, there would be no gas problem at this time.

Ben

/ Fuel price thread again.. but with SUGGESTIONS!!! #10  
I don't want to say, "When I was a kid.....", but when I was a kid, bus stops were NO WHERE near as close together as they appear to be now. The house across the street from me is maybe 100' from the house next to it and a few hundred feet from the house next to me, in the other direction. The bus stops THREE times in 400' to pick up three kids. And these are high school kids!
Isn't starting from a stop still where the most fuel is used?

I grew up in the 'burbs and it seemed that there were a dozen of us kids from the surrounding areas that used to walk to a community bus stop. These stops were sometimes a 5-10 minute ride from the next one by bus. Did anyone here ever miss their stop? You didn't want to do that unless you had a real good reason. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When the heck did they start valet service from drive to drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.