Hunting season...here we go again...

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #11  
Many people make the same assumptions you do... mainly when people hear hunt thay automatically assume deer are being hunted.

I love hunting small game, squirrels (my favorite), rabbits, duck, and dove mainly. They are extremely good to eat, can be done in the evenings as relaxation... sitting under a tree with your son and your dog just talking quietly until something walks or flies up. It doesn't take much fore thought or planning, just pick up the gun and walk outside.

If you get a nice mess of critter, it doesn't take anyone but yourself to get them back to the house and just a few minutes of time to clean. I always put some back in the freezer to take on camping trips. Grill them over an open fire and just have a blast.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #12  
I'll be heading up to Clorado in about 5 weeks to guide hunters for first rifle Elk season, and then hunt second rifle season myself. Many of the points you made are exactly why I go every year, and have done the exact same thing for 20 years, at least, now. I wouldn't miss this two weeks for anything and I look forward to next year coming around, as I'm driving home from this year. The guys that are also other guides, and the outfitter and I are personal friends. We talk all year by phone and this is the one time of year we all get together in person. The wives know each other only by talking on the phone too, and send home made pies, cakes and cookies up every year to all of us. The ladies all know this is "our time" and they appreciate that fact! No sir, even if I was too old to actually hunt anymore, I'd be there for the funny lies (Stories) that get told and exagerated further every year, the BSing, the general friendship, and the overall good time!

As far as hunting at home goes, I go out when one of the boys says they have an opening at their lease, or I just feel like it. Don't have to shoot anything as like with Colorado, I just enjoy being out there with everything it entails!

Oh, and I always bust my Elk in Colorado every year!!

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #13  
You know that truly you have life by the horms and the tail dont you! What a way to hunt.

Used to love it till braces and bad legs made me stop. Now I do as others, plant something for the deer to eat and post signs. In my neck of the woods it is illegal to hunt within 300 yards of a food plot. Those chestnuts provide that plot as does the clover. Salt blocks dont hurt either.

I am not against hunting at all. Needed to help control the herds and make better deer for me to watch, just dont hunt where you can hurt someone and be careful.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #14  
Venison is the best. I used to cook it in butter with salt and pepper. Made tons of bbq. cooked that for 2 days, one to get the meat off the bone, then forked it and put in a couple bottles of sauce...............done.

Steaks must be tenderized to be good.

My best day hunting deer was close to the end of my hunting days. I sat by a pond, 4 to 5 hours, watched it snow 4", never moved and never saw a deer, but when it is quiet you can hear snowflakes fall, that is peaceful, and beautiful.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #15  
The most fun I had was taking my two boys hunting with me when they were 12 years old. Priceless to have an experience like that. >>>>>

I know my dad would say the same. I would give anything to have had ONE MORE hunt before he got so down in his legs that he could not hunt anymore. (He had the same thing I have now with my legs).

My last hunt with him was many years ago, quail hunting on his old home place. Last shot he saw me take was a quail, single bird, 60 yards away with a 12 gauge shell after it.......I did hit it, and we had bird that nite. See one thing dad did not realize before then, he had taught me to hunt well, I had learned to shoot better than him.

Since dad passed away last year I have often thought of many one more times.

Back to life, now I golf, volunteer at a big cat rescue, and take care of my place, and watch some deer if I can.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #16  
The reasons you quit are the reasons I never started. I used to enjoy upland and duck hunting but that was as much to watch the dogs work as anything. It's not that I have anything against it, it's just that I never felt the need to do it although I do like to eat venison occasionally. Ok, now comes the disclaimer. If I could get my sights on the deer that's been eating my garden all summer, it would be dressed, butchered and in the freezer in no time flat, season or no season. I guess that means that I'm still not a hunter but those of you who enjoy it, have at it.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Couldn’t justify the process of field dressing and dragging the carcass up the hill and paying another $50.00 processing fee for leather tough venison. Let’s face it folks, it just isn’t as good as a nice tender beef rib eye or T-bone. So, that day my hunting career ended. </font><font color="blue" class="small">(

The only way you got a leather tough piece of venison is because it was some very very old buck or you overcooked the meat. My wife turned a beautiful venison roast into a blob of hard leather once because she didn't listen to me. I couldn't cut it easily and refused to eat it. You could bounce it off the floor like a rubber ball. The dogs on the other hand had a feast with it. I haven't hunted in a few years also because of work load on trying to get the old farm project done. But once I ge the time I will be in search of Bambi once again. My last deer took me 10 minutes to get. I walked in the woods, she walked up to me and we went home together shortly afterwards. The wife couldn't believe I was back already. I even got this one on our own property. That was a first for me.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #18  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( This is usually a good sign of OLD age settling in on you.
I think you should sell your gun, and hang up your hat.
You sound like youre finished. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )</font>

HaHahAhA good one Ernie, You are funny. My father in law hunted until he was 87. He died before the next hunting season on his birthday at 88. Every year we looked forward to going hunting. Most of the time it was every single day of shotgun season just to get out and enjoy the woods. I've also let many a deer go by because it was too small. It is a "To each his own in this life" Some people ply golf. I prefer being at the shooting range if I have the time or riding my motorcycle. Life's too short to do nothing and sit around.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #19  
My favorite time of year and I will be afield hunting as much as possible. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #20  
There are many other "sports" that men sit around campfires, drink beer and tell "tall tales".

I tend to stay away from those "social gatherings".

Now that I have 40 acres of my own, I've already figured out where to put the tree stand /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I consider myself a pretty good shot with a firearm out to LONG distances (and I'll tell you this without any beers in me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif), but... try hitting somthing with a bow and arrow, whole different world.