Hunting season...here we go again...

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #1  

Cityboyfarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200D; JD 5205 MFWD w/522 Loader
Its approaching that time of year again when the hunters hit the woods and I make my kids wear orange vests when they play outside. Lots of city folks heading into the woods. Scary when you think about it.

I used to be a hunter for many years. I think I went mainly for the social aspect of the sport. I liked hanging around the campfire after the evening hunt and consuming adult beverages and listening to the various tales being told and telling a few of my own.

Then one day it happened. I woke up one morning and questioned the logic of getting up from my warm bed, on my off day, before dawn, and climbing into a tree stand waiting for Bambi to pass by. The last time I hunted, I let the deer walk. Couldn’t justify the process of field dressing and dragging the carcass up the hill and paying another $50.00 processing fee for leather tough venison. Let’s face it folks, it just isn’t as good as a nice tender beef rib eye or T-bone. So, that day my hunting career ended.

I’m not knocking hunters here, mind you. If getting up at the crack of dawn on weekends and staying out in the cold looking for critters to shoot floats your boat, then more power to you. Enjoy!

So, what are you going to do this hunting season? Me, I’ll do a little harrowing, pasture planting and fence building and other such projects and watch those pretty deer just stroll on by.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #2  
I think you are right. I think hunting is mainly an excuse for grown men to go into the woods together, camp, get away from the wives and talk about stuff without being considered completely weird. We need a new "sport". Oh wait, there's this thing called Golf that the rich folks play. Maybe I'll look into that... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #3  
What am I going to do during hunting season?

Kill animals and eat them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #4  
I will be out in the deer stand and so will the wife. She loves to hunt more than I do. I don't drink, don't hunt with a bunch of friends and don't camp out during deer season. All we have to do is walk out of the house into the woods to reach our hunting spots. I will take a cold crisp day any time over a sweltering summer day, it makes you feel alive! There are no black flies, mosquitos, horse flies, ticks, chiggers or assorted other pests to bother you on a frosty morning and you can watch the world wake up. It's not so much the kill as it is the hunt and experiencing a little discomfort makes you appreciate the simple things in life, a hot cup of coffee. warming up to the pellet stove, sharing what you saw with your partner. We might not get a deer but we still have a great time and we enjoy it together.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #5  
I completely see your point of view. I have found myself questioning the logic as well on several ocasions. But I usually snap right out of it about the time I see some of natures best appear. It doesnt have to be anything that I'm interested in taking at the time, just natural beauty. Some of the best days I have had, began way too early and cold but to me there is nothing more peacefull than a cold fall morning in the woods.

To each his own, some prefer fishing,golf,bowliing,etc. whatever does it for you, enjoy it to the fullest.

By the way, no offence, but if your venison tastes like leather, it was'nt cooked properly. I love a good beef steak as well, but vinison is verry tasty when prepared correctly.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #6  
When the weather cools, I will be out bow hunting. Not a better excuse to sit quiet in the woods to see and hear the different animals and birds chattering, including the turkeys and the occasional glimpse of the pileated woodpecker.
I and my wife prefer venison steak over beef anyday, butchered with all the fat and bone trimmed off, and cooked quick over the grill. Not familiar with a 'tough' venison steak.

When later fall season rolls around, I will finish my hunting with a couple gun-shot deer and call it quits for the year. 2-3 in the freezer is about right. Only eat steak when out for dinner.

The most fun I had was taking my two boys hunting with me when they were 12 years old. Priceless to have an experience like that. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Our hunting camp of many years is broken up now, for various reasons. But there was no drinking allowed in camp, but the stories flowed freely. My kids still talk about the 'talkers' and the story tellers in deer camp.

Sorry to hear you just have the memories you have, but its not what everyone enjoys.

The hunting is the most fun. The actual killing and field dressing is not all that exciting, but the butchering and eating is great.

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I used to be a hunter for many years. I think I went mainly for the social aspect of the sport. So, what are you going to do this hunting season?
)</font>

I usually hunt alone. One trip I backpacked into a wilderness area and never saw a human for six days. Kind of strange, but also a good experience.

Killing isn't that hard for me, but finding a trophy animal presents the challange that I seek. The meat is secondary and I usaually let most legal animals go while trying to find something special. I'm an expert shot, but don't care for guns or shooting. They are tools that I use, but nothing that I find enjoyable.

Getting up early isn't a problem since I find it impossible to sleep in when there are so man things I'd rather be doing. Going for a walk in the woods as the sun rises is why I live in the woods. After an hour or two of enjoying nature, I'm ready for a days labor or working on a project.

To each his own, if you dind't feel the connection with nature and experienced the thrill of having the oportunity to take a trophy buck, that's fine, but when it happens, there's nothing quite like it!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #8  
This is usually a good sign of OLD age settling in on you.
I think you should sell your gun, and hang up your hat.
You sound like youre finished. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Hunting season...here we go again...
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This is usually a good sign of OLD age settling in on you.
I think you should sell your gun, and hang up your hat.
You sound like youre finished. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )</font>

Please don’t misconstrue my meaning here guys. I get tremendous enjoyment from the woods and my land. Nothing is better than an early morning stroll like Eddie described, or a hot cup of coffee on a cold morning watching the sun come up. Replies like Dozernuts is what I was looking for.

If my kids took and avid interest in hunting, I might still be hunting, but they both prefer things like horseback riding, trail biking and other outdoor activities. Works for me.

You see, I reexamined my reasons for hunting and decided to do different things on those cold mornings. I’ve killed lots of deer, more than I can count and recall. I know how to cook it too, but it’s my personal preference for beef over venison, that’s all. I won’t be selling a single one of the many guns I own, I will not be hanging up my hat, and I am at least 60 some years from being “finished”, since I fully intend to live past 100 years.

So let’s not take offense here. One thing it took me nearly 40 years of living to learn is not to take myself too seriously. Take a deep breath, relax and realize that everyone doesn’t like doing the same things you do. No need or call for criticism here. Life is good, but it’s also too short. Do what you enjoy.

Back to the original question plus another: What are you going to do this hunting season? And if you’re a hunter or not, what else do you enjoy during the cool weather? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Hunting season...here we go again... #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( And if you’re a hunter or not, what else do you enjoy during the cool weather? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
)</font>

Long motorcycle rides; alone, and preferrably on roads I've never been on before.