Rejuvenating old apple trees

/ Rejuvenating old apple trees #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
I have about 1/2 dozen old apple trees on my property. They were probably once part of an orchard, but have been long neglected. Surprisingly, they still produce a bunch of mishappen apples, they look like Macintosh. I know old apple trees can be brought back by pruning, but I don't know exactly how. Luckily the apples we've checked are not bug infested, because we don't use pesticides. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich

/ Rejuvenating old apple trees #2  
Having them pruned properly will help a great deal, but you'll never get supermarket quality apples without using chemicals.

I had a similar situtation (about 15 trees) and had them all professionally pruned in Feb/March which is the proper time to do it (when they are dormant). You'd be suprised how much nicer the apples are just opening up the branches and allowing the wind and sun to work their magic on the apples.

Last year we were lucky to find a dozen apples that we would even consider eating, this year we have loads of them, although like I said not supermarket quality. We have decided we would rather have imperfect looking apples with no chemicals than perfect looking ones with chemicals. They are great for pies, applesauce and maybe even cider (haven't tried that yet).

There are lots of books available on pruning, and probably even free advice on the net. I decided to pay a professional and watch him do it so that from now on I can take care of it myself.

Good luck.

/ Rejuvenating old apple trees #3  
Try your local extension service office - they usually have plenty of pruning and how-to info. for free. As I understand it, you don't want to prune more then 1/3 of the tree per year if you are going for yields. 'Course sometimes you just need to cut a bunch and be done with it. I have a number of trees in similar condition and tend to them as time permits. This year snow was too deep to do much. I freed up a bartlett pear tree last year - just clearing brush from the base and trimming out deadwood - and was rewarded with about 10 times more fruit. I too am from the less chemical school and am considering some of the new clay based sprays when I get enough trees cleared up.

Andy in NH

/ Rejuvenating old apple trees #4  
look at the tree and any branches that run of the main branch and not at the end of the branch should be removed. Small branchs that grow up instead of out should be removed. As one said a bird should be able to fly through the tree and not hit a branch. It is amazing how you can turn on and off apple production just by trimming or not trimming the branches. Trim the branch in the spring before the trre greens up or in the fall after the tree turns dorment. You may think you are cutting too much, but I bet the first time you do not cut off enough. Have fun, remember that you can not hurt the tree any more than what is happening now.

Dan L

/ Rejuvenating old apple trees #5  
Yeah, what ddl said. Also, if you have a state fair in your neck of the woods you'll find some great resources there. I actually took some photos of my old (ancient?) apple trees and someone from the UVM aggie center x'd off the branches I needed to remove. It worked great, and the tree (I tried it on one just in case) is healthier than ever!

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Rejuvenating old apple trees #6  
You might like to check into grafting on some new apple varieties, which can be done on the old trunks. Your county extension or University should have information, or a local nursery.
Also, about pruning, 40 years ago my grandfather told me to prune everything that grows straight up or straight down. Now taken literally, one would cut it off at ground level. But when getting at pruning, he was pretty close to being right on. The new suckers that shoot off the main branches every year are important to remove before the following growing season. Old trees that have not been maintained for years are tough, as about 2/3 of the tree should really be removed. Take about a third each year for two years in a row, and you will be getting close. Getting rid of the removed material is a major chore and headache. Big fire or lots of chips.

/ Rejuvenating old apple trees #7  
I'm glad you asked this question. I learned alot from the posts and now on to the apple trees.