Asian Jasmine - Can you kill it?

/ Asian Jasmine - Can you kill it? #1  

BB_TX

Veteran Member
Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin Count
Tractor
JD 950
Years ago, I made the mistake of planting Asian Jasmine as a ground cover around parts of the house. Now it has grown in, under, behind, and thru my shrubs. I would like to eliminate it all. But I have sprayed what I can without hurting my shrubs with Roundup (mixed extra strong) and broadleaf weed killer. Neither has any effect on it. Only way I have found to get rid of it is pulling/digging and that ain't easy. Any suggestions?

/ Asian Jasmine - Can you kill it? #2  
http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/faculty/rcb/Jasmine/introduction.htm

I am not sure how to kill it, but here is a lot of interesting info on it.
I probably could find out what to use to kill it, but it would more than likely be a restricted use herbicide ala need a license to buy and app....

Your most effective route may be to call a residential landscape contract outfit that has an inhouse chemical program, and see if they will kill it.

/ Asian Jasmine - Can you kill it? #3  
Bill,
We went through the same thing back in June. The jasmine has been planted as a ground cover back 10 years ago or so. It became entanged in every single shrub, was climbing the walls at a rate of several inches a day, getting into windows, etc. We finally declared war on it. I used the kind of roundup made for woody vines and poison ivy, mixed at triple strength. It kinda turned the leaves a little brown, but not really a good quick kill. If you do it once a week or so, maybe after a few months you might have some success. Unfortunately, the only real solution, based on my experience, is to pull them and till the soil, after trimming them down to the ground with a HD weedeater. Then you will still have to keep pulling up new sprouts as you see them.

Our final solution was to rip out every shrub and plant in our front flowerbeds, including the jasmine. The original owner had made a poor selection of shrubs and had them planted too close to each other. We had some climbing rosebushes that I HATED (the wife loved them) that had also gotten out of control. I just hired a landscaping crew to clean everything out to the bare soil; we are starting over with a whole new look. Lots of rocks, flagstone, and carefully selected plantings widely spaced, etc. Oh yea, with MULCH instead of that horrid jasmine.

Good luck.

Steve

/ Asian Jasmine - Can you kill it?
Steve - that may be the approach I use also. Wife has been saying she would like to redo the landscaping. I did pull several shrubs last year and replanted a different type with mulch all around them. Once I got those shrubs out, the Jasmine under them wasn't too awfully hard to pull up. And it hasn't tried to come back in that area.
Interestingly, the link that Matthew provided said that Asian Jasmine wasn't harmed by Roundup when it was not actively growing. I found it to be not harmed no matter what it was doing.

/ Asian Jasmine - Can you kill it? #5  
I've never heard of it. What is it, sort of like a mini Kudzu plant?! Some morons in our state planted Kudzu along steep roadsides and along creek beds back in the 30's to prevent erosion. I have that crap growing along a creek that borders my property. If I don't cut the vines off of my trees every couple of years, it will cover my trees and kill them by blocking out all the sunlight.

I ask, because I still don't know what will kill Kudzu. I can give you a big long list of what won't! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I even tried to dig out a big Kudzu vine with a small backhoe and the root was still going at over 9' down. I covered up the hole, content that I at least killed that vine, only to find it breaking back up through ground a month or so later!!

/ Asian Jasmine - Can you kill it? #7  
Cows and goats will kill Kudzu. Keeping it cut will also but it will take several years. Few chemicals will kill kudzu in trees without killing the tree also. Tordon will take out kudzu but will kill any trees with roots in the area. I am using roundup repeatedly and having some luck.