Got any Harley rider stories

/ Got any Harley rider stories #1  

pennwalk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
In another thread Cityboyfarmer referred to Harley riders and that got me thinking. I'll bet you guys and gals have got some great stories about reformed and unreformed Harley riders. Its related because a Harley really is just a roaring two wheel tractor after all /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

/ Got any Harley rider stories #2  
Back in the day, I rode a brand new shiney 1977 HD FXE Super Glide off the showroom floor and I kept that silver beast for the next 18yrs before I eventully sold it for about double what I originally paid for it.

I had about 2 months left in the Marine Corps when I purchad it and I was chomping at the bit to get out and do my "Then Came Bronson" thang... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That HD was my primary vehicle and it rarely gave me any trouble. Like a tractor (this is a tractor forum) keep 'em properly serviced and they'll keep on running.
And no they don't leak oil, they just mark their spot(s) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I drove through the front gate for the last time, I took off on a yr long odyssey that started out at Cherry Point NC, then snaked all the way up to the Wisconsin Dells then off to Philly then MD for the winter. I was headed to the Blacks Hills classic at Sturgis SD but was enjoyng the trip so well that when I started running into bikers going the opposite way, my passenger and I decided to hang out alittle before turning back east. Come the following summer I headed back to TN to start school in he fall.

Kinda wished I still had that ole Hawg and the where withall to just take off and do it again... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

An old pic of it sitting outside my last barracks at MCAS Cherry Point.
Volfandt

Attachments

• 732653-HD at Cherry Point (546 x 525).jpg
    732653-HD at Cherry Point (546 x 525).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 208
   / Got any Harley rider stories #3  
A friend at work laid his Harley down on a curve and spent several months on crutches recovering...while patiently repairing his bike. A bunch of us got together and had "If you can read this, please call for help!" on the bottom of his frame.

Pete

/ Got any Harley rider stories #4  
OK, here’s my Harley story since I helped inspire this thread. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was stationed in 29 Palms California from 1983-85. One of my favorite places to go to get away from the base was Big Bear California, just a short trip up the mountain. There was a biker bar there called “Chad’s”. It had the hitching posts up front with a sign that said “Harley Davidson Parking Only”. Some weekends, this parking area was completely filled with Harley’s. Back in those days, the bikers were...well...bikers. The average middle aged guy, doctor, lawyer biker was not quite as wide spread as it is today. The bar was filled with bikers wearing the “colors” of their clubs, or some might say gangs. A lot of these biker guys were Vietnam vet’s and they welcomed us young Marines to the bar and I consumed many free beers while shooting pool with all these biker dudes and fellow veterans. Not once was there ever a ruckus in that bar. That was really a fun place.

My best buddy while I was in the Corps was a biker from Pennsylvania from a little berg near Pittsburgh, I think the town is Ardera? I don’t know if I spelled that right. He was actually acquainted with some of the Pagan gang. I went to visit him after we both got out and we partied with a whole bunch of his biker buddies. Again, I was welcomed with open arms and shown hospitality that was just fantastic. No trouble and a fine time was had by all. I’ve had some great experiences hanging around the sure enough biker culture. It was certainly not like the Hollywood stereotype.

Not exactly a spectacular or funny story, I know, but just some good memories about my experience with Harley folks.

/ Got any Harley rider stories #5  
I have a Harley now. I haven't ridden it in a year or two because I haven't had the urge to work on it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I recall quite well my '79 Harley Sportser 1,000,000 (at least that is what it looked like on the air breather when it was at idle). An 8 hour weekend day with it went sort of like this; spend 6 hours wiping up the leaking oil, screwing with the carb, and getting it started. Spend about an hour riding it. Then, finally, spend the final hour getting someone to haul it back home for me and take inventory of what parts fell off. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Why I have one now, I'll never know. Well, wait, it it actually at my dad's house. I think I'll let it stay there; like forever. There, there is my Harley stories. I left out the part about the ones I had that were really troublesome. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif For some reason, I don't recall having any trouble with any of my bikes that were of other brands. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Got any Harley rider stories #6  
You don't ride a Hardly, you polish it and talk about it. If you want to ride you buy a Honda(or anything else) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Maybe I should add (except a BSA or Thumper)

/ Got any Harley rider stories #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( except a BSA )</font>

Can't ride a BSA either but sure can spend a lot of time trying to start them.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Got any Harley rider stories #8  
Some of the best folks I have ever met or consumed an adult beverage with have been bikers. Like CBF, I dont mean the new wave of RUB's, though some of them are cool too. I mean the 2% "bad bikers" you hear about on TV. Just before my kids 2nd birthday, we were in Daytona and walked into a store that the Outlawas frequented. They were among the friendliest, courtious people there and treated us like part of their club. My kid was in the paper that week with his leather vest, boots and dew rag. Its more of a brotherhood than a club.

Dargo, as far as your Sportie. You cant even begin to compare it to todays bikes or even anything made in the last 20yrs. AMF made that bike and it was part of the downfall of Harley Davidson. Dont know what made anyone think a bowling ball manufacturer could make bikes.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.. Some of them were prety goood bikes, but you had to be a good wrench to own one. The newer ones,though simple sre just as good of quality as their forign counterparts.

This is another post that can get verry political guys, you're already seeing the mud slinging /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif..See what you did CBF /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Got any Harley rider stories #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why I have one now, I'll never know )</font>

Resale value /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All those "other brands" start their long spiraling depreciation once they roll off the lot, never to attain the same resale price ever again, not even the HD look-a-likes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HD on the other hand, like any "classic", the fewer the miles/hrs, the more it's worth.
Your maintaining it's value just by letting it sit marking it's spot... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(btw, locktite works wonders on those pesky fastners /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Volfandt

/ Got any Harley rider stories #10  
Had more than a few adventures on bikes over the years, some that not everyone here might appreciate /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif - one reason I don't use my real name in public posts. Dropped out of high school, made a living as an h-d (and Indian, BSA, Triumph, etc.) mechanic, and joined a club. Managed to "retire" some years later, with help from the justice system; still have a couple of bullet holes in one leg as a souvenir. Slow learner I guess; it's been 30 years since then and I still ride, just slower now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif